Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DAC direct to Spectral Amps

Well, I started this thread back in April to explore an entry to Spectral electronics. As you all know, it requires a commitment to both Spectral/MIT which is difficult for many. My path has been circuitous and at moments I was ready to abandon the idea. Since April, I first upgraded my Pass INT60 to a Pass 350.8.......second step was to move to Magico S3 from S1. I ran my DAC volume control (Bricasti M1SE) direct to the 350.8. I tried fine tuning the system with a variety of signal and power cables with varying degrees of success but still continued to find holes in the sound.
    I then decided to eat the elephant one bite at a time by acquiring the MIT cables. I bought a Matrix 50 Proline and then HD60 speaker cable. These cables performed as advertised...wonderful bass, spacious soundstage but I felt lacked PRAT and at times seemed they were missing something tonally ( particularly violin and upper piano frequencies). Bear in mind, Bricasti to Pass amp.
    Well, in the last few days, I finally found HD 90.1 and a DMC30 SS Series 2 (late s/n 309 + ....thank you ACK) and the system change has been transformational to my ears. PRAT is there in spades, instruments sound real, low level detail retreival is exceptional and dynamics superb.
    Now the dichotomy, will DMA360 S2 be an improvement......time will tell.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Well done! We should meet
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by lydon View Post
    Yeah, I'm no electronics engineer thats for sure. Though my material point is that; in this 40th year of the Spectral brand I personally would love to see the team create a truly great SOTA DAC that all user would be proud own and use daily. The company's white board in the past has surely changed throughout the years with other companies designs capturing the attention of those at Spectral. But should they market their own unique design let it not be a standard affair. It could simply come down to whether or not the company wants the investment in a (pre amp & amplifier) and then you can do as you will. Which exist today and that would just be a profound disappointment. For as long as enthusiasts have been waiting for a phone stage from Spectral whatever makes it way to market, my hope is that their future DAC will be spectacular in every way that matters to those who listen and take there listening seriously. Being able to bypass the pre amp would be in my opinion one such indication of the technical advancements to make it truly SOTA.
    How would one be able to use the long awaited Spectral phono and Spectral DAC without a pre amp? Are you suggesting that both pieces should have variable outputs?
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by rjc1845 View Post
    Well, I started this thread back in April to explore an entry to Spectral electronics. As you all know, it requires a commitment to both Spectral/MIT which is difficult for many. My path has been circuitous and at moments I was ready to abandon the idea. Since April, I first upgraded my Pass INT60 to a Pass 350.8.......second step was to move to Magico S3 from S1. I ran my DAC volume control (Bricasti M1SE) direct to the 350.8. I tried fine tuning the system with a variety of signal and power cables with varying degrees of success but still continued to find holes in the sound.
    I then decided to eat the elephant one bite at a time by acquiring the MIT cables. I bought a Matrix 50 Proline and then HD60 speaker cable. These cables performed as advertised...wonderful bass, spacious soundstage but I felt lacked PRAT and at times seemed they were missing something tonally ( particularly violin and upper piano frequencies). Bear in mind, Bricasti to Pass amp.
    Well, in the last few days, I finally found HD 90.1 and a DMC30 SS Series 2 (late s/n 309 + ....thank you ACK) and the system change has been transformational to my ears. PRAT is there in spades, instruments sound real, low level detail retreival is exceptional and dynamics superb.
    Now the dichotomy, will DMA360 S2 be an improvement......time will tell.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm also considering the move from Pass electronics to Spectral. But, I'm still doing some research and listening.

With regards to your source. How are you feeding that Bricasti DAC? E.g. A laptop or a dedicated server?

Do you have any other sources in your system?

I only use digital for source material. Feeding the Bricasti with Sonore microRendu with their Signature power supply with SR fuses and Cardas power cord/ Roon- NAS-Tidal.

a brief update to my above post regarding the 30Ss-2 I'll lieu of DAC direct. Today, I have the Spectral 300 in for demo to compare to the Pass 350.8. The good folks at my local shop have been extremely accommodating and I now recognize the value add they can deliver. I have the next 4 days to sort things out but from an erfonomic standpoint , I much prefer 70 pounds that fits in lower shelf of my GPA rack vs. the big Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by rjc1845 View Post
    a brief update to my above post regarding the 30Ss-2 I'll lieu of DAC direct. Today, I have the Spectral 300 in for demo to compare to the Pass 350.8. The good folks at my local shop have been extremely accommodating and I now recognize the value add they can deliver. I have the next 4 days to sort things out but from an erfonomic standpoint , I much prefer 70 pounds that fits in lower shelf of my GPA rack vs. the big Pass.
    I'm looking forward to your impressions and comparisons. I assume you are using a balanced connection between the pre and amp ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234