Thread: Dedicated laptop to stream via USB to CH C1

Dedicated laptop to stream via USB to CH C1

Hi guys,

I will likely purchase a CH C1+X1 with ethernet and USB boards for my new reference system.
    I have a Qobuz Sublime membership but before buying hi-res files and store them on a NAS i like to listen to them through the Qobuz player via USB.
    My question is which laptop should i choose to connect the CH C1 via USB ?
    Would a Macbook air do the job ?
    I find the Macbook Pro too expensive for this task.

Thieliste
    Speakers : Thiel CS 3.7
    Amp : Classé CAP-151
    Source : Hegel HD12
    Interconnect : Cardas Golden Cross XLR
    Speaker cable : Siltech LS4-120

Thieliste, first, you will not be disappointed in your decision to purchase a C1/X1 with USB and ethernet boards. Best of luck with that. As far as using a MacBook Air, I suggest you use one with the fastest processor you can find and at least 8GB memory. Also, the MacBook Air you choose needs to have a USB port and an ethernet connection port. I suppose you can use a lightening to ethernet adapter. I use an older MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM, an i7 processor, two USB ports and ethernet. I sometimes connect it to the C1 via USB when I want to run Roon and at other times I connect it to the network with ethernet, run minimserver on it and stream to the C1 from the MacBook Pro. Maybe you can pick up a MacBook Pro used for a good price? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rsorren1 View Post
    Thieliste, first, you will not be disappointed in your decision to purchase a C1/X1 with USB and ethernet boards. Best of luck with that. As far as using a MacBook Air, I suggest you use one with the fastest processor you can find and at least 8GB memory. Also, the MacBook Air you choose needs to have a USB port and an ethernet connection port. I suppose you can use a lightening to ethernet adapter. I use an older MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM, an i7 processor, two USB ports and ethernet. I sometimes connect it to the C1 via USB when I want to run Roon and at other times I connect it to the network with ethernet, run minimserver on it and stream to the C1 from the MacBook Pro. Maybe you can pick up a MacBook Pro used for a good price? Good luck.
    Thanks rsorren1, i didn't know that you would need that much power to stream music from players like Qobuz or Tidal via USB
    Anyway i will also have a NAS and use an Ipad as a remote as the C1 is known to give it's best with the ethernet board.
    I did think about the Totaldac twelve + streamer but too many boxes and cables to deal with and the build quality is not at the level as CH.
    Same thing about the SGM + Aqua Formula, i would rather have my music on a NAS instead of a server.
    Speakers : Thiel CS 3.7
    Amp : Classé CAP-151
    Source : Hegel HD12
    Interconnect : Cardas Golden Cross XLR
    Speaker cable : Siltech LS4-120

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thieliste View Post
    Thanks rsorren1, i didn't know that you would need that much power to stream music from players like Qobuz or Tidal via USB
    Anyway i will also have a NAS and use an Ipad as a remote as the C1 is known to give it's best with the ethernet board.
    I did think about the Totaldac twelve + streamer but too many boxes and cables to deal with and the build quality is not at the level as CH.
    Same thing about the SGM + Aqua Formula, i would rather have my music on a NAS instead of a server.
    You don't need to have your music on the SGM, you can very easily use a NAS, and just point Roon to it.
    And IMHO, Aqua > CH C1...
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]