Dedicated laptop to stream via USB to CH C1

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys,

I will likely purchase a CH C1+X1 with ethernet and USB boards for my new reference system.
I have a Qobuz Sublime membership but before buying hi-res files and store them on a NAS i like to listen to them through the Qobuz player via USB.
My question is which laptop should i choose to connect the CH C1 via USB ?
Would a Macbook air do the job ?
I find the Macbook Pro too expensive for this task.

Thieliste

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Thieliste, first, you will not be disappointed in your decision to purchase a C1/X1 with USB and ethernet boards. Best of luck with that. As far as using a MacBook Air, I suggest you use one with the fastest processor you can find and at least 8GB memory. Also, the MacBook Air you choose needs to have a USB port and an ethernet connection port. I suppose you can use a lightening to ethernet adapter. I use an older MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM, an i7 processor, two USB ports and ethernet. I sometimes connect it to the C1 via USB when I want to run Roon and at other times I connect it to the network with ethernet, run minimserver on it and stream to the C1 from the MacBook Pro. Maybe you can pick up a MacBook Pro used for a good price? Good luck.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thieliste, first, you will not be disappointed in your decision to purchase a C1/X1 with USB and ethernet boards. Best of luck with that. As far as using a MacBook Air, I suggest you use one with the fastest processor you can find and at least 8GB memory. Also, the MacBook Air you choose needs to have a USB port and an ethernet connection port. I suppose you can use a lightening to ethernet adapter. I use an older MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM, an i7 processor, two USB ports and ethernet. I sometimes connect it to the C1 via USB when I want to run Roon and at other times I connect it to the network with ethernet, run minimserver on it and stream to the C1 from the MacBook Pro. Maybe you can pick up a MacBook Pro used for a good price? Good luck.

Thanks rsorren1, i didn't know that you would need that much power to stream music from players like Qobuz or Tidal via USB:confused:
Anyway i will also have a NAS and use an Ipad as a remote as the C1 is known to give it's best with the ethernet board.
I did think about the Totaldac twelve + streamer but too many boxes and cables to deal with and the build quality is not at the level as CH.
Same thing about the SGM + Aqua Formula, i would rather have my music on a NAS instead of a server.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks rsorren1, i didn't know that you would need that much power to stream music from players like Qobuz or Tidal via USB:confused:
Anyway i will also have a NAS and use an Ipad as a remote as the C1 is known to give it's best with the ethernet board.
I did think about the Totaldac twelve + streamer but too many boxes and cables to deal with and the build quality is not at the level as CH.
Same thing about the SGM + Aqua Formula, i would rather have my music on a NAS instead of a server.

You don't need to have your music on the SGM, you can very easily use a NAS, and just point Roon to it.
And IMHO, Aqua > CH C1...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing