MBL or TIDAL? SPEAKERS, ELECTRONICS...

caesar

May 30, 2010
Yep, with Tidal electronics and Tidal cables. So apart from the source a whole Tidal set up: for all Axpona visitors a good opportunity to judge for themselves.

That's great. I think they are running it with a Bricasti DAC (which is no slouch and considered a reference level DAC by many without agendas), and, of course, they wouldn't use Bricasti if it were no up to par.

Let's PRAY for a good room and no setup issues!!!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
That's great. I think they are running it with a Bricasti DAC (which is no slouch and considered a reference level DAC by many without agendas), and, of course, they wouldn't use Bricasti if it were no up to par.

Let's PRAY for a good room and no setup issues!!!

I am not familiar with the Bricasti dac and I do not know what source Doug will use. The Akira's are amazing loudspeakers - as they should be in light of their retailprice - so I hope with you that the show conditions are indeed good enough to let them really shine. I believe Doug is a regular participant so I suppose he will be able to demo at an impressive level. Curious to hear Axpona feedback.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'll resist saying .....Caesar. My point was to kick off a discussion rather than make a buying decision. In that regard the posting was obviously both simplistic and kinetic. I was keen to explore two quite different major brands and share others experiences, which largely seems to have occurred here. Finally, thank you for sharing your choices, in this way. I really appreciate it and will enjoy learning more about the gear you use, because of your share here. Gear I had not heard of before.

Hi John, glad you are finding comments here useful. Obviously, for these great brands to survive for so long, they must have great engineering behind them. So what's left are subjective and experiential factors for folks to decide what they prefer. And there is nothing wrong with not liking something. If there is something people don't like, they should share the context and the circumstances of the experience, and that's great. I think people hate political correctness and Canadian "apologizing for apologizing" gutlessness.

But saying something "flat out sucks" or is "best in the world" without any rationale or specifics of the experience is a waste of everyone's time.

Good luck in your journey

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
First show reports from Axpona 2017 relating to the performance of the Tidal Akira loudspeakers are coming out: Jonathan Valin of the absolute sound was apparently seriously impressed. See the TAS website. The same applies to Myles Astor: see his show report of the third Axpona 2017 day on the Audionirvana website.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is it surprising that Jonathan Valin and Myles like Tidal? I would think not; I think of Tidal and Magico as having a similar type of sound (i.e., transparent, neutral, dynamic, "fast").

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I certainly don't want to get involved in any food fights. But, to the OP, I can say this: I have owned some pretty incredible systems in my +30 years of audio experience. I can say that the singular most realistic (true to the actual event) experience I have ever heard was in Australia; listening to an all MBL system in an auditorium size room.

Every type of speaker must be used in proper context for it to show its true potential. The MBL needs a big room to really sing. If you have the room and means - it should definitely be on your audition list.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Is it surprising that Jonathan Valin and Myles like Tidal? I would think not; I think of Tidal and Magico as having a similar type of sound (i.e., transparent, neutral, dynamic, "fast").

Not my intention to imply that this is surprising news at all although I am far from sure that the Magico and Tidal sound are more or less similar. Imho the diamond range of Tidal speakers - Akira and La Assoluta - are (even) more 'pure/grainless/musical' sounding loudspeakers although probably a lot of Magico owners will (strongly?) disagree with me. But after some 'bizarre' criticism in this thread I thought it was good to mention that more people believe that the Tidal Akira's are really amazing transducers.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Nice to hear about your Aussie experience...

I certainly don't want to get involved in any food fights. But, to the OP, I can say this: I have owned some pretty incredible systems in my +30 years of audio experience. I can say that the singular most realistic (true to the actual event) experience I have ever heard was in Australia; listening to an all MBL system in an auditorium size room.

Every type of speaker must be used in proper context for it to show its true potential. The MBL needs a big room to really sing. If you have the room and means - it should definitely be on your audition list.

Thanks for sharing this Aussie top flight experience Caelin, John. As an Aussie its great to hear of such awesome sounds sets in Oz.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks for sharing this Aussie top flight experience Caelin, John. As an Aussie its great to hear of such awesome sounds sets in Oz.

Yes, it was an unusual audio show. There were 5 different complete systems setup in an auditorium. Each of the presenters alternated the demo's so that only one system was playing at a time.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . I can say that the singular most realistic (true to the actual event) experience I have ever heard was in Australia; listening to an all MBL system in an auditorium size room.

. . .

That must have been amazing, Caelin!

I find that the MBLs do some things more realistically (and more excitingly) than any other speaker I have ever heard. They are not my personal first choice but I can understand very easily why they are the first choice of many people.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Of this I am sure! :)

This is a quote from Jonathan Valin of TAS: "On to the 3rd floor, Doug White of The Voice That Is was showing Tidal’s gorgeous, second-from-the top floorstanders, the ten-driver (30mm diamond tweeter, 127mm diamond mid/woof, three 190mm black-ceramic woofers, and five 190mm black-ceramic passive radiators) $215k Akira, driven by Tidal electronics (Prescencio Reference preamp, Impulse monoblock amplifiers) and sourced on the digital side by an Aurender N10 server with Bricasti M1se DAC and on the analog side by a TW Acustic Raven AC-3 turntable with Transfiguration Proteus D cartridge. This fabulous system came closest to what I hear at home from the various LPs I brought to the show: gorgeous color, very deep well-defined bass, no added edge or sibilance in the treble, superb soundstaging and lifelike imaging, tremendous transient speed and dynamic range—a sound as smooth, lovely, and iridescent as shot silk. As I had nothing to critique, the Tidal rocketed to the top of my Best of Show contenders list".

He concludes:

"JV's Best of Show

Best of Show (cost-no-object): Tidal Akira with Tidal electronics and TW Acustic Raven AC-3 record player with Transfiguration Proteus D cartridge".

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Maurice Jeffries comments on the Positive-Feedback website: "My other BOS pick in the ne plus ultra category provided, for me at least, a more introspective, soul-searching experience. While not as dramatic as the VSA/VAC room in terms of raw scale and grunt, it rivaled and perhaps bettered the former in its ability to capture the underlying dramatic tension and electric currents embedded in the music. If one were to equate the VSA/VAC experience to receiving a bracing splash of crystal-clear, ice blue water in the face in the early morning hours (the proverbial "wow" moment), then the Voice That Is/Tidal experience, my next pick, felt a bit like one feels when you wake up in the middle of the night and finally get—and I mean really get—what that difficult conversation you had with a close friend, lover or parent twenty years ago was all about (the proverbial "ah-ha, now I see" moment).

A Malcolm Arnold Lyrita LP sounded simply superb, with 3D imaging and staging. Tonality boasted classic Tidal values—speed, liquidity, finesse and slam. I commented to the irrepressible Doug White that the Akira's were the finest sounding Tidal's I had heard to date and he didn't try to argue the point. If you have the scratch, this baby will cure your itch. From minimally recorded classical to densely layered, highly processed pop and soul, the Akira revealed all, but in a seductively inviting manner that drew one into the recording and the recorded space. On cut after cut, the Akiras elicited from me that elusive "ah-ha moment of clarity", that point in the performance where I felt I could genuinely divine the deeper intent of the musicians, recording engineer, and composer. Think of the Akiras as $219,000 time machines that defy the Laws of Physics by taking you back to the recorded event across multiple intersecting vectors. A stunning achievement (and my personal show favorite)!"

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Julie Mullins writes in TAS: "Best Sound (Cost No Object)

Given the size of this year’s show, there wasn’t adequate time to allow for in-depth listening (let alone tie-breaker listening), so I’ve decided to list a few contenders:

The Voice That Is demo with the gorgeous $215k Tidal Akira loudspeakers, Audio Presencio preamp ($77,600) and Impulse Monobloc amplifier ($64,900), both from Tidal Audio, with TW Acustic Raven AC-1 turntable ($15.5k) analog source and Bricasti Design M1sp dual mono DAC ($10k) digital front end. Smooth as silk, yet rich in dimensionality, definition (even in its deep bass), and dynamic range. This system was simply beautiful in its blend of verisimilitude, swiftness, and expansive soundstaging."

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
With all due respect, it should for that kind of money.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Would love to hear one of these days.

Seems like one of the top eschelon dynamic speakers in the world.

kkfan

Jan 3, 2016
... I've had my 116's for some five plus years. They are "lifers" for me and energize a room similar to listening to live music and unlike any other speaker I have ever heard. This having come from owning electrostatics for some 25 years.

Which electrostatic speakers did you own that the MBL bested?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing