Heart And Souls-1993

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
In another thread here on WBF there was discussion about great actors getting paid large amounts of money to star in or play a cameo role in comic characters brought to the big screen.Many seem to finish out their careers doing comic book characters. The actor that came to my mind was Robert Downey Jr. In the dawn of his career he played some great roles even though he had a checkered personal life from drugs and alcohol. He cleaned up his act and has lead an exemplary life style since except that to me right now he is "Iron Man"

So I dug this movie out of my library and watched it today. I loved it when I saw it in the theater, loved it just as much in all the times I have watched it at home or seen it on TV. It's a fabulously written film, superbly acted that by the end of the movie not only will you know Robert Downey Jr is a gifted actor by his facial and body movements, but you'll have a little lump in your throat. In the great scheme of things audio,what we all share a passion for, is nothing more than a hobby. When you see this movie you come to realize what's important in life so you might want to kiss your wife, hug your kids and call your parents to tell them you love them .

If you haven't seen this movie, you must

If you have seen this movie, you must again

From the New York Times.......

MOVIE REVIEW
Reviews/Film; A Yuppie Haunted (Really) By Other People's Problems

By JANET MASLIN
Published: August 13, 1993
"Heart and Souls," a whimsical film that could raise the dead for the wrong reasons, has the cute idea of bringing together four bus passengers and a pregnant woman for a fatal crash. The souls of the dead enter into the body of the woman's newborn baby, paving the way for all manner of supernatural high jinks.

Whoever thought this premise was a good idea also thought it would be fun to have each dead person use the baby, once he grows up to be a yuppie named Thomas Reilly (Robert Downey Jr.), as a vehicle for settling one unresolved problem apiece. When the film announces, halfway through, that it will be devoting the rest of its running time to tying up these loose ends, the audience may as well give up the ghost.

"Heart and Souls" was directed by Ron Underwood (whose luck was infinitely better with "City Slickers") and written by four writers, though one would have been more than enough. It is presented in a bouncy sitcom style that veers into heavy sentiment every 15 minutes or so. Only one or two of the film's events register at all on the weep-o-meter, though a slushy score by Marc Shaiman seems to mistake this for the warmest, most wonderful movie ever made.

The dead cutups are Charles Grodin as a shy loner who yearns to sing, Kyra Sedgwick as a waitress who has just turned down her sweetheart's marriage proposal, Alfre Woodard as a loving mother who has just bid goodbye to her three children, and Tom Sizemore as a jovial greaser who has foolishly got himself involved in a crime. Anyone reading this description will be able to imagine the film's endless string of mini-plot resolutions, right down to the last hanky. However, Mr. Underwood does throw in the occasional wild card, like B. B. King to accompany Mr. Grodin's character when he's coaxed into singing "The Star-Spangled Banner."

At least the latter part of the film improves on its earlier scenes, the ones involving the baby as he grows up. The four ghosts are forced to accompany the boy everywhere, sometimes singing a doo-wop version of "Walk Like a Man" (which seems to have been thrown in mostly to enliven the film's ads and trailer). As they sit trapped together, pestering little Tommy, the ghosts deliver witticisms like: "You're killing me! Oh yeah, I'm already dead. I forgot."

"Heart and Souls," which also features Elisabeth Shue as Tommy's strident girlfriend and David Paymer as the bus driver who caused the fatal accident (by ogling a babe in a red dress), has a cast that does try hard to please. Mr. Grodin's nutty solemnity is always engaging, in this case making him seem more substantial than the others.

Ms. Woodard manages to be charming in what could have been an insufferable role. (Not surprisingly, her character's motherly love gives the film its only workable sentimental streak.) And Mr. Downey, as he demonstrated in "Chaplin," is an amazing mimic. The best thing about the film is the chance to watch his uncanny impersonations of his co-stars.

"Heart and Souls" is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). It includes mild profanity and one brief sexual situation. Heart and Souls

Directed by Ron Underwood; screenplay by Brent Maddock, S. S. Wilson, Gregory Hansen and Erik Hansen; director of photography, Michael Watkins; edited by O. Nicholas Brown; music by Marc Shaiman; production designer, John Muto; produced by Nancy Roberts and Sean Daniel; released by Universal Pictures. Running time: 104 minutes. This film is rated PG-13. Thomas Reilly . . . Robert Downey Jr. Harrison Winslow . . . Charles Grodin Penny Washington . . . Alfre Woodard Julia . . . Kyra Sedgwick Milo Peck . . . Tom Sizemore Hal the Bus Driver . . . David Paymer Anne . . . Elisabeth Shue Frank Reilly . . . Bill Calvert B. B. King . . . Himself

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

In that trailer ? the actor's left of Robert Downey Jr. (ex-coke addict) is Tom Sizemore ? http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/tom-sizemore-set-accident-1.4050403
Tom Sizemore was in the film 'Heat' directed by Michael Mann and starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Val Kilmer and Jon Voight.
Tom's net worth is $3 million USD (2017)

Robert Downey Jr. ? Net worth: $240 million USD (2017)

I believe that I posted that link before:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/natali...with-knockout-64-5-million-year/#3baf45a875a9

I don't recall seeing 'Heart and Souls'. From almost 20,000 viewers (audience) it gathered 76% @ Rotten Tomatoes.
I'll give it a shot Steve. But I admit the attraction is low on the incentive aspect.

The richest actors/actresses are not the most talented ones. They are in the films that make lots of money. What the people pay to go see @ the theaters!
? https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emjl45efhje/the-worlds-highest-paid/#5a7aa40a4808
Some names on that above list are just terrible actors; it is mind boggling what people pay to see @ their local theaters.

? http://top10for.com/top-10-richest-actors-in-the-world/
_______

If we talk strictly about the BEST films in the world; I think most of them are unknown by the masses, obscured by clouds of low financial profits and almost to non-existent publicity. Our set of values when it comes to true cinema art critics, is like a big aquarium of fake fishes making dead bubbles with fake colors.

What is new?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bob

I'm not getting your point

I never said this is the Best movie. I did say I have seen it many times and have always enjoyed it. I mentioned in a softer tone :) than you Robert Downey's shortcomings in that era when many Hollywood stars and ordinary Joe's had a coke habit.So let's not hold that against him or you then need to add Mel Gibson and his Hacksaw Ridge this year which was a fabulous film. America has a short and forgiving memory Bob. I was trying to suggest that RD Jr played a great role.This was a comedic-drama that has a point. I never mentioned money or anything other than it being a feel good movie that when you watch it gives one a good sense of what's important in life and audio ain't one of them

Watch it. I think you'll enjoy it

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I know Steve. I was simply going further on the subject. Money versus real talent.

Coke is fine with me Steve, as long as people keep control of themselves and don't hurt others around them. Robert changed for the best when he became Iron Man. :b We all go through that more or less, for the best, or for the worst. Only we, know.

But Tom's reputation is not so 'pinky'. He never was one of my favorite actors anyway; he has a reputation of woman's beater.
One of the richest actors is Bill Cosby. The president of the United States of America is Donald Trump...a perfect actor. ;)
_____

I'm simply making happy conversation: Onscreen offscreen actors/actresses they come in all flavors and from all countries.
We both agree in the overall trend of the Hollywood movie business. ...Marvel comic super heroes. In the UK, Harry Potter.

Mel Gibson is Mad Max, he always will be...mad Mel. :D
And Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man, Sherlock Homes, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Oh yes, forgiving is the only way to move forward. We all have a different level; Robert lifted himself up...radically...he's the flying Iron Man...thanks to his shoes.
Mel Gibson; can we forgive him? He's got a temper and he doesn't fit with alcohol. But other than that I've heard good things and I've seen superb performances and directing.
Bill Cosby? One of the greatest Hollywood comedians...but with a tainted reputation with women.

It's funny; words are easily misinterpreted very often. An ex-coke addict is a fine person in my book. It means he/she gave up a disease for something better, a healthier life.
Some people spent their entire life in jail for crimes they never committed or for a simple theft like a chocolate bar when they were 15.
Nobody ever care to forgive, they just forget and along with it the justice.

I'm going to watch it because it looks to be funny. ...'Heart and Souls'.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Early in his career, I thought Downey was amazing in "Chaplin"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Early in his career, I thought Downey was amazing in "Chaplin"

I first mentioned 'Chaplin' along Iron Man and Sherlock Homes and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and then I deleted it. Because there is only one Charlie Chaplin.
I didn't want anyone to imitate him, no one. Charlie Chaplin is one of my favorite actors of all time, he is unique...best actor for the soul, heart and mind of all generations passed and to come. What 'Chaplin' the movie did is to show us that nobody, including Robert Downey Jr., could imitate.

______

Steve, I don't know when I'll be watching it but I will certainly share my thoughts when I do. :b ...'Heart & Souls'

* Talking about movies is fun, about Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) is fun too, about Hollywood's past and present history, about Charlie Chaplin. :cool:

If the sky is clear tonight give an eye above to see if you can spot that "green" comet ? http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...ecord/ar-BBz7G9o?li=AAggv0m&OCID=ansmsnnews11
______

______

** He has a good point ? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...-that-revels-in-whitewashing/article32648098/

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing