Japanese fleet returns from Antarctic hunt with 333 whales

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/japanese-fleet-returns-from-antarctic-hunt-with-333-whales-1.3349324
______

Who are they trying to fool!? ...Research? ...Do they think that we are a bunch of imbeciles?
What are they going to do with 333 whales? Of course, fine cuisine for the whale eaters, with fine radio activity from their last nuclear reactor's disaster.

Another fake news in gross disguise.

Wow, that's a lot of food "research"! 333 whales can feed the entire high Japanese society for the next twelve months or more. I hope they taste their own radio activity so that they can research next what kind of cancer kills the Japanese elite and the other countries who buy whale food from them.

I had to post it; because sci-tech (scientific research technology - science-tech) news it is not. Unbelievable!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/japanese-fleet-returns-from-antarctic-hunt-with-333-whales-1.3349324
______

Who are they trying to fool!? ...Research? ...Do they think that we are a bunch of imbeciles?
What are they going to do with 333 whales? Of course, fine cuisine for the whale eaters, with fine radio activity from their last nuclear reactor's disaster.

Another fake news in gross disguise.

Wow, that's a lot of food "research"! 333 whales can feed the entire high Japanese society for the next twelve months or more. I hope they taste their own radio activity so that they can research next what kind of cancer kills the Japanese elite and the other countries who buy whale food from them.

I had to post it; because sci-tech (scientific research technology - science-tech) news it is not. Unbelievable!

I agree

It reminds me of the annual clubbing to death of the young Harp seal pups

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
What I find interesting is that whale meat was not eaten by the Japanese before WW2, they developed a taste for it after the war. The Japanese make great phono cartridges but their whale/dolphin policy really bums me out.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What I find interesting is that whale meat was not eaten by the Japanese before WW2, they developed a taste for it after the war. The Japanese make great phono cartridges but their whale/dolphin policy really bums me out.

And nothing will change their minds regardless of Green Peace, world outrage etc

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I'm glad some people took interest on this subject ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Japan

"Archeological evidence in the form of whale remains discovered in burial mounds suggests that whales have been consumed in Japan since the J?mon period (12,000 BC). Without the means to engage in active whaling, consumption at that time primarily stemmed from stranded whales. Surviving Ainu folklore reveals a long history of whaling and a spiritual association with whales. The earliest records of hand thrown harpoons date back to the 12th century.

Organized open-boat shore whaling began in the 1570s; and continued into the early 20th century.
Once ashore, the whale was quickly flensed and divided into its separate parts for various warehouses and further processing. Although the primary use for whales was meat, the entire whale was used in a variety of products including lamp oil, soaps, fertilizer, folding fans (baleen), and more. This method of whaling required a significant financial investment from rich individuals to compensate for the sizable labor force. However, whaling remained entwined with ritual and unlike their contemporary European counterparts the early Japanese coastal whalers considered whales a valuable resource and did not over-exploit local stocks."

_______

https://www.pri.org/stories/2010-04-08/japans-whale-meat-obsession
https://www.wired.com/2015/12/japanese-barely-eat-whale-whaling-big-deal/
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35397749

Japan, "Land of the Rising Sun", have great masters on designing/sculpting phono cartridges/diamond stylus, swords that cut like razor blades, miniature electronics, great luxury audio components, amazing metropolis, beautiful country sides, very polite culture, colorful, leaders of new technologies, complex systems of harmony, ...

But in regards to whaling it's important to acknowledge the truth ? http://www.seashepherd.fr/news-and-media/editorial-060627-1.html
_______

It's a "whale" of a subject. ...Tradition, economy, food, ...a long history. But research, no.
That last link above (seashepherd); it's a scary read...in regards to extermination.

"In 1908 the Nihon Hogeigyo Suisan Kumiai was established otherwise known as the Japanese Whaling Association with Jura Oka as the first President. This association in 1908 included 12 companies with a total of 28 whaling vessels and they killed 1,312 whales that year. The average kill for the next 25 years would be around 1,500 whales.

Oka was as ruthless a visionary with regard to the whales as Hitler was to the Jews. He proudly boasted in 1910, "I am firmly convinced that we shall become one of the greatest whaling nations in the world. The day will come when we shall hear one morning that whales have been caught in the Arctic and in the evening that whales are being hunted in the Antarctic."

The Japanese whalers operating between Japan and Korea were largely responsible for practically wiping out the Western grey whale populations.
By 1915, only 150 of these whales could be accounted for (How could they come up with that estimated count?) .

Norway, Britain, the Netherlands, and Germany were the largest whaling nations prior to World War II and they pursued the killing without regard to conservation. The 1930's was the greatest decade of whale slaughter in history. In 1931, 37,438 blue whales were massacred in the Southern Oceans. Japan sent its first ships to Antarctica in 1935. The sale of whale oil helped to finance the invasion of Manchuria and China. In 1937 alone, more than 55,000 whales were slaughtered yielding 3 million tons of animals."

Highlighted above; my own question.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing