My Magico M3s have just arrived

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The long wait is over. Soooo happy !

My unpacking pics below.

The speakers came in 2 separate wooden crates (plus a set of MPods on top).

A single crate weights 350lbs (!). Forklift is your only option.

I got them home with a help from pro movers. From there, I was able to unpack them by myself (I could have waited for my wife or my dealer, but I'm an impacient kind of guy). Magico seem to have changed the crates design compared to my old S5s mk 2, as the front gate is no longer attached with hinges. There is also now a layer of hard foam under the speaker (you can see the black foam under the 1/2 inch thick plywood that the speakers sits on) which gives a level of shock protection. That feature was absent in my S5 mk 2 crates.

You have to remove the front gate, flip upside it down, remove the two black foam blocks held by velcro tape, and you are basicly done - you can roll the speakers out. How convinient !

The speakers are held in a position by a combination of U shaped metal pieces and wooden blocks. Doesn't look like much, but is suprisingly effective.

Ready to roll out:

Out of the crate:

The raw aluminium supports you see at the back, are only for transportation.

After you find the right spot for your speakers in your listening room, you are supposed to replace the casters with spikes. Alternatively, you may replace the casters with the optional MPods:

The carbon fibre sides look spectacular. We are talking Audi R8 V10 level of quality and awesomenes. The finish is very deep and looks mirror like.

The new diamond coated berillium tweeter:

6" graphene reinforced carbon fibre mid:

7" graphene reinforced carbon fibre woofer:

Mundorf sourced binding posts:

The M3s are now burning in nicely in my living room system now (connected to Naim UnityQute 2 all-in-one - a 35WPC monster!):

I'm gonna keep them here for a couple of days before I move them to my dedicated listening room.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Big Congrats Adam, I know that you are going to enjoy them immensely!!!

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Wowww ... Amazing pics ... Enjoy them in good health !

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Congratulations Adam. I was very impressed with the M3 at CES. What will you be running them with?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Congrats! Thanks for sharing the photos

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Congratulations Adam. I was very impressed with the M3 at CES. What will you be running them with?

My msb M202 monos - at least for the time beeing. By audio budget is busted, ha ha.

Those are seriously good amps. Way underrated IMO. Especially the M202 mons that I have, that can be had for like $6-8k used. I have compared them to several amps, like Momentums or Vitus SM-011 monos - yes those were better, but not hugly better. I have actually prefered my MSB to Vitus SM-011 when the later was run in Class AB. It was only after I switched them to pure Class A mode the Vitus monos pulled slightly ahead.

I was actually contemplating upgrading the amps first to sth like Vitus SM-011 or SM-102 monos, but after speaking with some people that had experience with Vitus, MSB and Magcio, they all said that S5 mk 2 > M3 will bring me more benefit.

Now that I have the M3s, I can start the amp search :)

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Very Nice...I bet rolling them out of the crates on your own was a real pucker moment ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Atta boy!

Once they get dialed in and ready for constant play? Please share your observations.

8th photo down, to the right side of the screen, bottom of speaker....photo effect or actual blemish? Here's the one I was referring to....

It looks as if it took a big whack on the speaker, all energy emanating from the bar just above the front caster.

Tom

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Could be reflection of the Castor base?--I sincerely trust NOT a Blemish

Adam will inform I'm sure

BruceD

71O78V.jpg

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
LOL. I bet he wouldn't ship them back from Poland to fix that blemish. Heck, I am 40 miles away from Magico and I wouldn't repack my S5s for worse than that. Fortunately, there is no reason (yet) to deal with that task. :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Could be reflection of the Castor base?--I sincerely trust NOT a Blemish

Adam will inform I'm sure

BruceD

View attachment 31792

Folks, this is how mirror finish should (and looks) like ! Everything gets reflected - in this case, the speaker's rear support bar. The finish is absolutely spotless.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Adam, congratulations ! Not sure I'd have the patience to break em in...I'd have em in my listening room fast ;-)

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Same here! Fire em up in the main listening room! Congratulations.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
My msb M202 monos - at least for the time beeing. By audio budget is busted, ha ha.

Those are seriously good amps. Way underrated IMO. Especially the M202 mons that I have, that can be had for like $6-8k used. I have compared them to several amps, like Momentums or Vitus SM-011 monos - yes those were better, but not hugly better. I have actually prefered my MSB to Vitus SM-011 when the later was run in Class AB. It was only after I switched them to pure Class A mode the Vitus monos pulled slightly ahead.

I was actually contemplating upgrading the amps first to sth like Vitus SM-011 or SM-102 monos, but after speaking with some people that had experience with Vitus, MSB and Magcio, they all said that S5 mk 2 > M3 will bring me more benefit.

Now that I have the M3s, I can start the amp search :)

i ageee that those MSB amps are very underrated! I've heard them several times at shows and MSB always has a world class sound. Don't go for the bling, go for the sound.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
At last I have found some time to move them to my listening room:

I didn’t have to listen yet, apart from 60s sound check. My feeling is that they need 200h-300h burn in which I’m gonna do in the coming week or two.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Sleek , they look the right size for the room .

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Elberoth! The room looks great!

The M3s are my favorite Magicos!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing