Re-damping Rega CD door

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Does anyone have any experience in overhauling the damping mechanism on any Rega CD player lid (doesn't matter what vintage as the mechanism hasn't really changed over the years so far as I can tell)?

The problem is that over time, the damping effect of the lid closing mechanism gradually loses effectiveness. Mine still works reasonably well when the unit is cold (a bit fast but OK) but once it's been on for half an hour, the fluid becomes less viscous and the damping doesn't really work well from that point (so I have to manually lower the lid). Even people who have reviewed new units have complained about the loss of damping when the units are hot.

Anyway, seems that I should be somehow replacing the old fluid with a more viscous one but I have no clue of where to start, how to do it or what to use.

Worst case, if no one has any Rega CD player experience, perhaps any analogue cassette deck door experience would be a helpful starting point. Unfortunately Rega and their dealers (at least in my country) are notoriously hopeless when it comes to providing any sort of DIY assistance at all. They'd want to you return a whole player to the factory in England just to get a new badge put on the lid!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing