Good, fresh, modern classical?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm in need of some recommendations.

I write this as I'm listening to the Volcano Symphony which is a bit, well weird, for my taste:

512VOjlf-yL._SS500.jpg

Thank you!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

I write this as I'm listening to the Volcano Symphony which is a bit, well weird, for my taste:

Thank you!

Oh thanks, very interesting, I found it on youtube to listen and put it in my Amazon shopping cart.

If you found this weird, you'll find any of my recommendations triple weird, so I'll refrain from making ones. I am into classical avantgarde, next to the old masters (listened to some Haydn piano sonatas lately, delicious).

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Oh thanks, very interesting, I found it on youtube to listen and put it in my Amazon shopping cart.

If you found this weird, you'll find any of my recommendations triple weird, so I'll refrain from making ones. I am into classical avantgarde, next to the old masters (listened to some Haydn piano sonatas lately, delicious).

Others might be interested in your recommendations. :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

I listened to 9 of the 11 samples of The Volcano Symphony on Amazon and it is reminiscent of the mindless trash I used to listen to 20-30 years ago from Tangerine Dream and other New Age "musicians".

I couldn't bring myself to listen to the whole thing if I had the recording.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

I listened to 9 of the 11 samples of The Volcano Symphony on Amazon and it is reminiscent of the mindless trash I used to listen to 20-30 years ago from Tangerine Dream and other New Age "musicians".

Well, we already know that you don't like modern classical music, Gary, but great that you gave it a try. I listened on youtube where you can hear entire movements.

I am not proclaiming that this is the greatest piece of music ever written, but I find it interesting and fun to listen to nonetheless.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

View attachment 31697

Thank you!

Hmm... Maybe I have a high tolerance for "weird", but I'm on the 4th movement, and I haven't heard anything "weird" so far... It's actually pretty cool and melodic!

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
I attended a splendid recital by Hilary Hahn last week and her first encore was an absolute jaw-dropping piece by Max Richter called "Mercy." It rendered a less than composed audience to utter, paralyzed silence. One of the most memorable musical moments I have experienced. Until this, Richter was totally new to me but I've spent a lot of time pursuing his work over the last few days and am hooked.

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015

Thank you!

As one who doesn't like very much classical written before the 20th century, pretty much everything I listen to is modern and contemporary.

To be honest, the Volcano Symphony sounds quite "safe" and not at all what I consider weird. But I like some pretty thorny sounding classical, so take that with a grain of salt. :b

For example, some of my favorite composers are: Krzysztof Penderecki, György Ligeti, Eliot Carter, Joan Tower, Bela Bartok, Alban Berg, Magnus Lindberg, etc.

Here are a couple random pieces to give you an idea of where I am coming from, so you can tell me if you'd like further recommendations from me. ;)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Second on Penderecki and Bartok. Unfamiliar with the others.

Any George Crumb fans? American composer that, I believe, is still alive and kicking.

Start with "Haunted Landscapes". Quite approachable IMHO.

PS: Listened to a bit of "Illuminations". More recommends please.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

Blaspheme

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Here is an interesting violin concerto written by American composer Mason Bates. I believe it was commissioned by violinist, Anne Akiko Meyers.

It is definitely modern sounding, but still quite tonal, and somewhat playful.

Really love the final movement.

I bought this on CD without knowing anything about the Mason Bates piece, because of the Samuel Barber Concerto for violin and orchestra, but the Bates Piece is my favorite on the CD.

1419900142627955405.jpg

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Agree on Max Richter; i do find the time when it really hits the spot, and it is generally well recorded and pressed by DG. Penderecki and Lutoslowski are also often on when I'm up for a challenge, again really great recording, mostly Naxos cd.

Will look up some of the above :)

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
On Tidal there's a ton of well-recorded Boston Modern Orchestra Project titles to explore. Most also seem available on SACD if something really strikes you. Some titles I saved to playlist: Play; From the Institutes of Groove; Auroras; Mothership; Kick & Ride; Stolen Moments; Y2K Compliant; Möbius Loop; Northern Lights Electric; O'Keeffe Images.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing