Spectral amplifiers and preamp and MIT powerbar

asamuelson

Mar 26, 2017
I have a DMA 90 amp and a DMC20 preamp.I am confused whether I should pluget the amp into the Powerbar or into the wall. If the wall, can it be the same outlet that has the powerbar plugged into it?
Also, which component should get the highest grade MIT power cable I have? The powerbar to the wall? To the amp? To the preamp?
Finally, can I plug a z-cord ii power cable from either if the spectral components into the Powerbar. Or does it have to be the wall since it is a networked cable which does not need the powerbar filters?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I plug my Spectrals either directly into wall outlets or into MIT Isolators, then I use MIT AC2 power cables from the Isolator to the wall outlets.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Sorry I missed out that your power bar is MIT. Do you have digital sources? If you do, I would separate the digital components from the analogue components. I'll either plug all the digital or analogue components into the MIT power bar and plug the other group into the wall.

You can use the same outlets to plug components and the MIT power bar.

I would use the highest grade MIT power cord on the digital components. If you are all analogue, just experiment.

In my experience, with my MIT power stuff, it was the more filters the better. I believe yours are newer than mine. Just experiment and trust your ears.

asamuelson

Mar 26, 2017
Grateful for your reply. I do have a transport and a dac. THETA DSP gen v. That is good to know the zii cord can go into the Powerbar.

Sorry I missed out that your power bar is MIT. Do you have digital sources? If you do, I would separate the digital components from the analogue components. I'll either plug all the digital or analogue components into the MIT power bar and plug the other group into the wall.

You can use the same outlets to plug components and the MIT power bar.

I would use the highest grade MIT power cord on the digital components. If you are all analogue, just experiment.

In my experience, with my MIT power stuff, it was the more filters the better. I believe yours are newer than mine. Just experiment and trust your ears.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
There is an old thread here started in 2010 titled "Describe your Spectral System" that might be an interesting read for you.

asamuelson

Mar 26, 2017
Thanks so much. I just added an oracle Ziii pc and have been experimenting.
I do originally had a Magnum Ziii cord connecting the Powerbar to the wall. Another magnum Ziii from the preamp to the Powerbar. I had an original z-cord from the DAC to the wall. And I had a zii connecting the amp to the Powerbar.

I first tried to putting the Oracle Ziii between the wall and the Powerbar and moving the Magnum Ziii to the DAC. I did not like the results. I gave been playing around with different combinations and if I gave not completely confused myself I now like the way I gave it. The Magnum Ziii is between the wall and the Powerbar. The Oracle Ziii is between the Powerbar and the amp. Magnum Ziii between preamp and Powerbar. The zii is from the wall to the DAC. The soundstage is now much more up in front and much more detail than before

I realize this is different from what you suggested. The lowest quality cable is connected to the digital frontend. I was astonished how much better everything sounded with the Oracle Ziii attached to the amp and how much I did not like having that same cable be the first link from the wall to the Powerbar.

I sort if have gone overboard in buying cables. I have an unused zii that I bought before jumping in an oracle? Ziii. Maybe I can sell both Zii cables and get another Oracle for the dac. Do you think that makes sense?
Also I use a proceed cd player as s transport. It has a captive cable. Do you think it makes sense to cut it and use an adapter to connect the zii?
Thanks for reading this.
Arthur

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Arthur,

I'm glad you experimented and found the best combination of power cords for your ears.

There's no harm experimenting with power cords on your Proceed CD player. Instead of cutting the original power cord, why not remove it and replace it with a short (between 6 to 9 inches) piece of speaker cables with an adaptor to connect the zii? This way, you can always put back the original power cord on your Proceed CD player.

Sam

robbyd

Dec 23, 2015
uk south-east
I had three AC2s - one still powers my pre. I tried them on the power amps and although they were very detailed with pinpoint imaging, they lacked bass oomph, which I got back with a pair of Running Springs Crown Jewel HZs. HZs didn't quite have the obvious detail of the AC2 but I felt the trade off for extra weight was worthwhile.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing