Finally I have my own NHB-18NS (plus my 108)

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
Since I purchased in last October the amp, I was looking for his partner in crime :D
I purchased a few weeks ago this machine
The combo is simply WOAAAA!!!!!, it outperforms my ARC REF5 + 108B amp
I never heard a sound like this, simply gorgeous, fast, fast, fast and punchy, and rich, and the highs, o sooo good! :eek:
I first tried with my Transparent Ref MM2 Balanced, and then with the 50Ohm Dart connection, very very very better with the last.

Also I love the phono section, it adds a new dimension of blackness, and a very low floor sound, it adds more punch and openness than the ARC Ref Phono2, perhaps not as magical in the midrange than the ARC but nevertheless very harmonically rich, and better in the hights, and in the lows
Also the saving in cables and electronics put the balance in favor of the Dart preamp.

Very very happy !!
pd: Now definetively selling ARC gear and Transparent Ref MM2 balanced cables ;););)

IMG_7533.jpg

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congratulations, Luis!

That combination is indeed something special!

cheers,
alex

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Congratulations on your darTZeel combo!
I have enjoyed the darTZeel products for many years & have no desire to change.
If I may input a couple of future recommendations:
1. Upgrade to the newer preamp , major upgrade especially to the phono section, xlr inputs, & batteries!
2. Look into the Evolution Acoustics BNC cables, just takes everything up a notch.
Enjoy!

Gary

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
Thanks Alex and Gary, Yes I was informed by Hervé of the 'big upgrade' so I am very happy to know that it could be even better !!

have anyone the new manual of the display unit? I would like to know more about on how it can be controlled and adjusted... :D

It is a shame that no other manufacturer works on 50 Ohm connection,... except CH Audio -Hervé friends?- (and the old Playback Desings) as far as i know...

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
I'm surprised your not getting hum through the phono stage with the amps sitting that close together. After much consternation and emails back and fourth with Herve he traced my hum issue to the amps being too close together. It wasn't too noticeable with music playing but pound and clear when not. My amps are about a foot away from one another now on separate stands (Finite Elemente Master Reference) and the hum issue has gone. The phono is as you say and has a very low noise floor and wonderful clarity, dynamics and aliveness.

What are your shelves made from? The FE's are maple which may let the transformer field from the power amp through a bit more than what you have.

Anyway enjoy your amps, they are very fine indeed.

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
I'm surprised your not getting hum through the phono stage with the amps sitting that close together. After much consternation and emails back and fourth with Herve he traced my hum issue to the amps being too close together. It wasn't too noticeable with music playing but pound and clear when not. My amps are about a foot away from one another now on separate stands (Finite Elemente Master Reference) and the hum issue has gone. The phono is as you say and has a very low noise floor and wonderful clarity, dynamics and aliveness.

What are your shelves made from? The FE's are maple which may let the transformer field from the power amp through a bit more than what you have.

Anyway enjoy your amps, they are very fine indeed.

Hi Sencha, my stands are Finite Elemente Signatures. Also the preamp transformer is pretty close, less than half meter. I never have hum issues. I never use a power strip/power distribution. I ever go to wall receptacles. No hum ever including ARC preamps or my old Krell amps.

On Dartzeels, NO hum neither with Balanced Transparents MM2 XLR (1,5meters) or 50Ohm coaxial (0,5 meters). I purchased yesterday 5meters 50Ohm coaxial to move the the amp between speakers and also no hum, sound is pure with all channels. Everything is OK.
Maybe hum goes from sharing same electric wall receptacles, a problem with power distributor, power cable problem... i hear weird stories about hum... and it is a nightmare to hear it.

This going to be final placement or so... :D IMG_7574.JPG

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Lovely set up and room, like Keith I love the Ferrari red speakers.

With movement my set up does not experience hum any more. As far as the juice goes I'm in the UK so maybe being 240 volts and 50hz does something a bit different to the transformers compared to you guys 110V/60hz supply. It's gone now so I'm not going to fiddle around trying to find out how it came about in the first place. As I said it was Herve who thought the close proximity of the pre and power may be the cause so obviously he has experienced it before.

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
Lovely set up and room, like Keith I love the Ferrari red speakers.

With movement my set up does not experience hum any more. As far as the juice goes I'm in the UK so maybe being 240 volts and 50hz does something a bit different to the transformers compared to you guys 110V/60hz supply. It's gone now so I'm not going to fiddle around trying to find out how it came about in the first place. As I said it was Herve who thought the close proximity of the pre and power may be the cause so obviously he has experienced it before.

Thank you Sencha, I fall in love with my setup !
I live in Madrid (Spain), and I have same voltage as you 240/50Hz. and i never experienced that.
If Hervé told you and it is gone great, nobody knows better than him !

enjoy music !!

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I have just resolved a similar choice between the ARC Ref 5se and NHB-18NS to partner my darTZeel 108. I found the sound of the dart preamp stunning compared to the ARC and better on phono than my Ayre Evolution. Check out my thread of the subject. My plan is to have the 18NS upgraded to the new specs but right now see little need.

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
Wonderful !!!! I like to see an updated unit from you friends !!
ARC Phono2 is better than the internal phono from Dart, but only for a small margin and I only have one arm/cartridge, so Who wants my ARC? :D

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Changed my avatar in honor of darTZeel.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing