metal conduit for interconnects

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There are companies that specialize in it. It is a massive, loud machine that cuts with water/diamond saw. So no dust. They get it done in an hour or two. I have had it done at my theater and the one at work. In the stage of construction that I think Ron is at, it is not a big deal at all.

Agree...just get people who know what they are doing...and they should be in and out on cutting within a day...and probably fully done with laying down a proper conduit and sealing the cavity back up again the next day.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
While on that topic, I would definitely cut through the concrete for AC power. In this day and age, you are going to have a tablet, computer, etc. where you sit and you want to have local power outlet there as opposed to running a cord to the wall.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Knowing the cables Ron is considering this will be a large conduit. Hence cutting into the slab. This for me is a no go. I'd rather deal with the cables on the floor

You don't have to do that.

Just box out your floor moulding and you will be able to hide all your cables. Screw on the moulding so it is easily removable. You can stain or paint the screw heads to match your moulding. I did all my own floor moulding. ALL my wood stained moulding is screwed on exactly every 16 inches. Shirts have buttons, floor moulding has screws. ;) Nobody notices them until I mention that I made it all 100% retrievable just like a fine dental implant prosthesis! I made it retrievable because when it comes time to paint the walls again, the moulding can be removed (all pieces are numbered) and no paint will ever get on it and deface the woodwork.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You don't have to do that.

Just box out your floor moulding and you will be able to hide all your cables. Screw on the moulding so it is easily removable. You can stain or paint the screw heads to match your moulding. I did all my own floor moulding. ALL my wood stained moulding is screwed on exactly every 16 inches. Shirts have buttons, floor moulding has screws. ;) Nobody notices them until I mention that I made it all 100% retrievable just like a fine dental implant prosthesis! I made it retrievable because when it comes time to paint the walls again, the moulding can be removed (all pieces are numbered) and no paint will ever get on it and deface the woodwork.
IIRC Ron said the cable goes across an entry from the adjacent room to his music room

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Can you go up and across? Instead of across the floor divide....

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
You beat me to it!
Yep....just have a finish carpenter box mold the archway and come down the inside of the wall. Some drywall work but it should be aestheticly pretty nice.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't know what you mean by box out the molding.

The problem with up, over and down is that it would add about 15 feet to the length of the interconnects.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I don't know what you mean by box out the molding.

The problem with up, over and down is that it would add about 15 feet to the length of the interconnects.

you read my mind Ron. I am thinking 22-24 feet

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Box out the moulding--make a box channel along the floor/wall junction. The wall and floor form two sides of the box and the moulding and a top piece closes the box. The cables are laid in the channel and the moulding lies about 2-3" from the wall, covering "the box". Any decent carpenter can do it.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I know what I would do. Depending if the archway is framed or solid(header) or a combination will depend how I would approach it. If partially hollow just redo the drywall where you run the cable. If solid have a finish carpenter make a false trim box that the cable can be hidden in. I have a beam in my room that is partially hollow,boxed with gypsum board,muddled And finished.

I would use a lesser bridge IC cable as I believe that your core cables on either side of the bridge will enable the bridge to not effect the sound quality.

Talk to your contractor and he will be able to tell you if the archway wall is load bearing. You can tap on it and see if it is hollow.

I use quad mic cable in my system with my core cables and since they all carry just audio signal,there is no degradation.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
While on that topic, I would definitely cut through the concrete for AC power. In this day and age, you are going to have a tablet, computer, etc. where you sit and you want to have local power outlet there as opposed to running a cord to the wall.

I appreciate the thought. As a result of an earlier electrical upgrade the listening room has a set of original, dirty outlets, and a set of generic, dedicated AC outlets. This current project adds a set of fancy dedicated outlets. So there is plenty of AC around.

I don't need no stink'in computer attached to my stereo! That ain't never gonna happen! :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Ron

No room for racks on the opposite wall as the one intended?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There is room for racks at the rear wall, but I really like locating the front-end components in a separate room. We talk so much about vibration I like being able to keep the front-end components out of the line of fire of the speakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's ideal except for that you'll be running back to your seat every time you put an LP on :D You're a fit guy anyway my friend :D

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I've considered having my TT next to my chair :eek:

There's caring and OCD. I don't think anything more than a rice rack and maybe iso feet are really necessary. It's not like anyone has truly committed to the most absolute of anything, we all have limits.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
There is room for racks at the rear wall, but I really like locating the front-end components in a separate room. We talk so much about vibration I like being able to keep the front-end components out of the line of fire of the speakers.

You don't need to worry about vibration with what you're buying Ron ;)! You listened to very loud volumes here and felt the music in your gut and it never affected any of the turntables here.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing