metal conduit for interconnects

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is there any practical or theoretical sonic problem or issue with placing line-level, signal carrying interconnects in a metal conduit?

Has anyone found that encasing interconnects in metal conduit affects the sound?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
:)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is there any practical or theoretical sonic problem or issue with placing line-level, signal carrying interconnects in a metal conduit?

Has anyone found that encasing interconnects in metal conduit affects the sound?

Never done it but why don't you use vinyl or plastic pipes that we know won't affect the sound instead?

david

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Never done it but why don't you use vinyl or plastic pipes that we know won't affect the sound instead?

david

I agree . Why metal. Use PVC. Personally I would not be cutting into the slab of my house for the sake of hiding wires.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I agree . Why metal. Use PVC. Personally I would not be cutting into the slab of my house for the sake of hiding wires.

I wouldn't either but if you must then just put in conduits of sufficient diameter so you can snake the wires easily later. You certainly don't want to commit to wires at this point Ron.

davidn

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

david

Wouldn't PVC etc carry a static charge while a metal conduit could at least be grounded.
I may be wrong.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Has anyone found that encasing interconnects in metal conduit affects the sound?

Although I never tried metal conduits, long ago I wrapped all my ICs and speaker cables with aluminum foil and connected everything to the ground. That time it was a complete disaster - it killed the system, making it lifeless and boring.

Remember that you will need large diameter pipes - some connectors are really thick.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It's a bad idea to put them in any kind of conduit. Both metal and plastic will cause issues.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Knowing the cables Ron is considering this will be a large conduit. Hence cutting into the slab. This for me is a no go. I'd rather deal with the cables on the floor

Behind the wall or in the upper crawl space? Cutting into concrete is a "big mess' lot's of dust and it goes everywhere,structural?. Even if they can contain the dust...I would look for other options.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Knowing the cables Ron is considering this will be a large conduit. Hence cutting into the slab. This for me is a no go. I'd rather deal with the cables on the floor

I agree. Getting a concrete saw in there and the mess it makes as well as the expense, isn't there any other options? A cable raceway molding or something? It is "Highly" recommended that metal conduit is not used. If you must go this route, use 4" PVC conduit. I'm assuming schedule 40 would be o.k. but should check. If memory serves, electrical lines are supposed to be run in schedule 80, but these are audio signals, not power cables.

I saw Dave C. said that either metal or PVC would both be problematic. Dave could you share why PVC would be problematic?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for your assistance and thoughts, gentlemen.

I have pretty much dropped the idea of the under-the-slab conduit (very expensive; limiting on cables; and perpetual worry about leaking) and so this raceway has to go on the floor (on top of the carpet) right at the five foot wide entryway/archway between two rooms. So there is a trip-over risk issue and a cosmetics issue.

Legard makes a fairly nice stainless steel box raceway, and that might be less unsightly than a typical rubber Wiremold Coreduct or a plastic box raceway. This conduit has to go across the entire five foot opening between the two rooms so the stainless steel raceway might allow it to look almost like a design element as opposed to a yucky-looking wire cover thing.

As David says, I do not want to commit to wires at this point.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would worry about conduit resonating or rattling behind the walls. If it were me, I would get some nice belden coax wire and run them now before the walls are up. It will cost next to nothing and doesn't need conduit. When the time comes you can experiment with using that, versus garden hose cables run the surface.

I think proper aesthetics of a room has value and one that is too often sacrificed with too much running from here to there in typical stereo systems.

On that note be sure to distribute enough outlets on the wall as not have to run long AC cables.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
+1

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have never seen interconnects done this way but I have seen speaker wires run through PVC through a concrete slab. The slab was poured though with the conduit in place. No issues at all.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Cutting into concrete is a "big mess' lot's of dust and it goes everywhere,structural?.
There are companies that specialize in it. It is a massive, loud machine that cuts with water/diamond saw. So no dust. They get it done in an hour or two. I have had it done at my theater and the one at work. In the stage of construction that I think Ron is at, it is not a big deal at all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing