HD Tracks?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hopefully Bruce B can answer:

What is the possibility that HD Tracks could "remaster" albums that they sell? At least in terms of avoiding the nearly omnipresent over-compression in today's recordings/masterings? Although I don't care for and didn't buy Macca's "Band On The Run", it was very cool that a (relatively) uncompressed mastering could be purchased in lieu of the commercial mastering.

I've been extremely discouraged by the pop/rock and even jazz offerings from HD tracks, sometimes because they aren't true 24/96 transfers, but even when they are, they retain the commercial, over-compressed mastering.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
We have in the past just made level adjustments. I know some of the SACD's when transferred to PCM there's definitely clipping throughout the album. We've had to modify some of our equipment because the signal has been so "hot".
As far as remastering? Once it's been compressed/overcompressed, there's not much you can do with it. I have cheated in the past and brought the levels down and then used either an expander/upward compression or just let the natural dynamics take over.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Steely Dan's "Gaucho" on the Citizen Steely Dan box set has more dynamics (e.g., peak-above-average levels) than the 24/96 HD Tracks download. It would have been nice if the record company had given you hi-res versions of that mastering.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yeah, we're dealing with suits here. They don't know a 24/96 file from a tape or a mp3! But they surely do know do$$ar signs. The Steely Dan "Gaucho" tape was pretty "hot", while the "Aja" tape was -9dB RMS down.

We've had to send tapes back a few times because they were in such poor quality with drop outs and dull highend.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing