Interesting Read on Aging Rockstars

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
David I'm not upset at you for posting it. I think it's just the kind of content I'd like to read. It's the jerks that want to spam my email or pay money to look at a website with advertising, for an article that required nothing more than searching the internet.

This is a very interesting situation. It's not JUST that artists now make less money and don't book as much, it's that the industry is a lot of money for people involved - jobs etc.

Are we looking at the death of an industry? After all they've been living fat on the hog since they haven't had to invest in an artist in forever.

Here's another question, if people had more disposable income in the younger generations would they participate more, bringing some artist higher into the spot light?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The WSJ article in question has a very faulty premise. It assumes that the money that is grossed is based on the printed ticket price. Seriously, when have you ever had or known anyone that had purchased a ticket for face value at a popular concert? A Stones ticket for $122? $76.55 average for all others? Gimme a break. The pricing of tickets is a rigged system. Don't you love it when you go on line and have to identify some idiotic picture that contains street signs to prove that you're human? Yet the moment most pop concert tickets are released, they are bought by priority computer programs and the vast majority of them are then resold at significant mark-up on the secondary market. So the "real" gross for rock/pop concerts is actually much larger than what is stated for most artists. But those "marked-up" profits generally go to the concert promotors and large venue producers. Take Gaga for example. I looked in 3 cites the day that her tickets were released for sale. All were gone from the primary market by the time I accessed any site within 10 minutes of opening. Most popular acts will set you back $200-300 for decent seats and $500 for good ones. Even Bill Joel at Madison Square Garden, which will play to sold out crowds every month in perpetuity until he drops dead, cannot be bought at face value. (I'm going in June). Unfortunately, there's no motivation for the NY State Attorney General to go after collusion for the computer buying programs that allow promotors to buy the tickets upon immediate release and then re-sell them on the secondary market. That's just the way it is. (It's better he should focus his efforts on trying to put Elliot Spitzer in jail for being stupid enough to use State funds for hiring hookers. Moron.)

There are however, at least two alternative choices for great live music at fair prices. First, you can generally always buy a good ticket for Springsteen at a reasonable price. You'll be surrounded by zealots who stand for the entire 4 hours, but it's a hell of a show. Or, you can find a good seat at Carnegie Hall for just about any of their concerts for about $50-$70 bucks, although you'll probably have to ignore the empty seats next to you. :(

Good post Marty and so sadly true.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
What's also funny is that you cannot sell your own tickets in front of a venue, yet the computer programs can buy and resell them all?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
What's also funny is that you cannot sell your own tickets in front of a venue, yet the computer programs can buy and resell them all?

Of course you can. You just can't get caught. (I scalped tickets for Concerts in Central Park when I was in High School! Learned all the tricks back then!)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Don't any of you guys have iPads? If you have the free "News" app installed, the original link David posted brings up the full article with only a couple of easily ignored ads

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We are technically inclined behind Rob. :b

Lol, my Dad never touched a computer of his life; the closest he got to was a digital picture frame.
My Mom just got a tablet, and she doesn't even know how to zoom (she asked me recently).
Her cell phone is a flip from the prehistory. When you try to teach her how to perform easy things she becomes all stressed out and sees the world as a dangerous menace. :b
You guys have similar Moms and Dads?

The kids they communicate around the world live on their phones, with their live faces and live backgrounds.
My Mom freaks out just to hear that! Lol

But thanks for another tip...iPad and free "News" app.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing