Interesting Read on Aging Rockstars

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I bet it's a good read but I can't view it. I'm not letting them spam my inbox on my phone by allowing access to my gmail.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I bet it's a good read but I can't view it. I'm not letting them spam my inbox on my phone by allowing access to my gmail.
Didn't realize that you need to sign up to read the article, changed the link should be able to read it now, thanks.
david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I cannot read it David. Do I have to disable Adblock first? Or do I have to pay one dollar (for two months)?
Or The Wall Street Journal is only for a special elite? ;):D

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's the same exact link.

To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In

I am not subscribing, I am not signing anything, I am not paying anyone. :b
________

P.S. I just checked on my phone; similar thing...$12 for 12 weeks (I cannot access that article from both my computer and my phone without paying a subscription) from The Wall Street Journal (they are in desperate need of money). I already pay big dollars every month to read all the adds and fake news and sad news and all that jazz.

But today because we are indeed paying enormous amounts of money every single month for phone (cell) and internet and TV news and tons and tons of adds with our taxes and paychecks (I know some friends who pay over $400/month); the air, the oxygen we breathe from the sky above us is owned (or soon will be) by the truands of this world. It doesn't make me happy; it isn't harmonious with the beautiful honest people living on this beautiful blue planet.

? In Canada we have some of the highest charges for cell phone services, internet providers, and TV programs. It is so outrageous that it is one of the most corrupted paying adds in the whole world. That's right; there are more adds we're paying for than the rest of which is 95% fake news anyway, or unimportant news that is simply annihilating the brain of our children, adults and elders.
There is bad management, very bad moderation online. Just have a look to Twitter for example, and Instagram too, and Facebook.
CNN, FOX, MSNBC, MSN, CBC, ... CIA, FBI, ...

•• Anyway, here it is ? https://www.facebook.com/MattDrudge/posts/1438694446203738
{Just click on the picture of Twilight of the Rock Gods...}
______

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
My son-in-law sends me links to various WSJ articles and I REFUSE to give them one dime of my money to read them. Its is not about the amount of money but the principle. EVERYONE has their hand in my pocket.

The biggest perpetrator is the cable companies (in my case, DirecTV). We watch about 10 to 15 different channels (The big Four, the ESPN's, Golf Channel, HGTV) but to get those channels, we have to buy "packages" so we end up paying about $120/month - or about $10.00 per month per channel The company that figures out how to allow the consumer to buy individual channels (and someone eventually will), will quickly have dominate market share. I am aware that I can watch most of the major channels free on my iPad delayed, but that is not what I want. I want to be able to watch on my TV, and pay for ONLY what I use

Rant over!!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I agree. To all posters: please never again post a link to an article behind a paywall. You can't incite our interest and then prevent it from being satisfied.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Sorry guys, I got the article through other portals like Apple News I didn't realize that there was a subscription fee needed. The interesting part for me were the numbers which I found surprising. Seems like old rockers are by far still the biggest earners for music industry. I would have thought that pop, techno, rap, etc. were the one's that led the market but that's not the case.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, that is surprising. Did the article distinguish between radio/play royalties and current media/reissue sales? I imagine the giants like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Dylan, Beatles, etc are a lot bigger than some 00's and current pop stars. It might also just be about media sales being more profitable than downloads, but I guess you have have both for both groups of artists. Who is the biggest selling current pop star?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
David, could you summarize the article about aging Rock Stars for us? It could be a good topic for discussion. This thread has gone sideways.

https://www.facebook.com/MattDrudge/posts/1438694446203738

Twilight of the Rock Gods: When I click on the picture Peter I get access to the full article...free.
I don't know if that works for everyone, but that's the best I could come up with for reading that article myself.

Many music stars died in 2016...David Bowie, etc. The article mentioned how the top musicians generated last year on average from their live music concerts worldwide.
Bruce Springsteen did pretty good, Guns & Roses too, The Rolling Stones, Madonna, ...
They are tickets sellers, mega stars, money machines. ...Like Hollywood young movie stars getting paid $20 million and more per film; some much more...James Bond.
It's like golf, basketball, baseball, football, hockey, ... top paying sports. Ticket sales, TV views, large audiences, soccer, ...The Rolling Stones can fill 75,000 stadium seats on average per year. Soccer matches bring many friendly people together, to live in harmony with chants and that sort of stuff.
______

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Not the full article David; some parts are missing, all the graphs are missing, the videos and pictures are missing, etc.
The full article is missing.

But I'm curious: the Facebook link I gave, can everyone access it? If yes, then by clicking on that picture design of Twilight of the Rock Gods, would give you access to the article. Can you David, Peter, anyone?

Here it is again: https://www.facebook.com/MattDrudge/posts/1438694446203738
_____

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I would advise being very careful posting copyrighted material on this site. It is the kind of thing that can force this forum to close. Usually first come orders to remove content from some lawyer.

linking is ok, copy paste not so much

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I would advise being very careful posting copyrighted material on this site. It is the kind of thing that can force this forum to close. Usually first come orders to remove content from some lawyer.

linking is ok, copy paste not so much

I don't want that, no one wants that. The Wall Street Journal doesn't want that. Nobody gets hurt, nobody tells anyone. :b
{All gone, it was all ephemeral.}

Thanks Bob. I read the full article and saw the photos and graphs by clicking on your link. Fascinating. No mention of Led Zeppelin. Also, this is all about the live act and ticket sales, not media sales, whether physical or download.

Cool, the Facebook link works for you too then; so most likely for everyone else. Now we can all read the article without paying for a subscription.

Yes, David posted a very interesting article's link on the state of the music bizz affairs. We all grew up with these musician/singer artists, we invested millions of dollars from our own pockets in them. They rewarded us with 'Dark Side of the Moon', 'Born in the USA', 'Let it Bleed', 'Ziggy Stardust', 'Ground Control', ...

We love our music tapes, we love our music LPs, we love our music CDs, we love our music downloads, we love it all from the bottom of our music soul.
All of us, fans from all over the world, we team with them in stadiums, in our living rooms, bedrooms, with our turntables since we were only twelve-years old in 1966.
And some of us we grew up with John Coltrane and Miles Davis and Chet Baker, etc., in the 50s spinning 78s, and in the 40s with Billie Holiday, in the 30s (our parents)...
Movies from the 10s and 20s (silent era with Charlie Chaplin, Louise Brooks, Buster Keaton, ...).

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, ...today is amazing to still see these guys. And they have lovely lives and families. These are our guys.
Madona, Beyonce, ...not so much our gals. Others more reserved yes, like Lucinda Williams, Patricia Barber, Holly Cole, ...

The artists, the music we love listening today, are one aspect of what drives us all in all type of directions; from assisting to live concerts to setting up simple and sophisticated stereo hi-fi sound systems in our homes all in the purpose to listen on the highest plane possible (high emotions) to them artists we love. Live is a direct high, home is quality sound...much better than most live concerts except the best classical halls with the best seats.

Music and movie entertainment is certainly very lucrative when your name is Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, etc.
Or movie stars like Daniel Craig, Jennifer Lawrence, Tom Hardy, Angelina Jolie, ...

But the true stars in our heart and soul are Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Charlie Chaplin, Bill Evans, Chet Baker, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Rollins, Keith Jarrett, Emma Stone (La La Land), The Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Pink Floyd, YES, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, ...

The money is secondary; the music matters first.

I have no clue how much money Van is making from live music concerts. The only thing I know is I feel comfortably mesmerized in the most pleasant numb way.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sorry guys, I got the article through other portals like Apple News I didn't realize that there was a subscription fee needed.
david

After I posted, I figured that was the case. My apologies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
After I posted, I figured that was the case. My apologies.

Al, it doesn't matter; The Wall Street Journal, no matter where you get it from...Apple, Microsoft, which browser, computer, tablet, phone, etc., they want money from you online and on the streets (paper). The New York Times is in a similar situation. Those newspapers are losing money; it's only a question of when till they close their doors permanently and get on with the program. IMO
_______

* Bonus: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The WSJ article in question has a very faulty premise. It assumes that the money that is grossed is based on the printed ticket price. Seriously, when have you ever had or known anyone that had purchased a ticket for face value at a popular concert? A Stones ticket for $122? $76.55 average for all others? Gimme a break. The pricing of tickets is a rigged system. Don't you love it when you go on line and have to identify some idiotic picture that contains street signs to prove that you're human? Yet the moment most pop concert tickets are released, they are bought by priority computer programs and the vast majority of them are then resold at significant mark-up on the secondary market. So the "real" gross for rock/pop concerts is actually much larger than what is stated for most artists. But those "marked-up" profits generally go to the concert promotors and large venue producers. Take Gaga for example. I looked in 3 cites the day that her tickets were released for sale. All were gone from the primary market by the time I accessed any site within 10 minutes of opening. Most popular acts will set you back $200-300 for decent seats and $500 for good ones. Even Bill Joel at Madison Square Garden, which will play to sold out crowds every month in perpetuity until he drops dead, cannot be bought at face value. (I'm going in June). Unfortunately, there's no motivation for the NY State Attorney General to go after collusion for the computer buying programs that allow promotors to buy the tickets upon immediate release and then re-sell them on the secondary market. That's just the way it is. (It's better he should focus his efforts on trying to put Elliot Spitzer in jail for being stupid enough to use State funds for hiring hookers. Moron.)

There are however, at least two alternative choices for great live music at fair prices. First, you can generally always buy a good ticket for Springsteen at a reasonable price. You'll be surrounded by zealots who stand for the entire 4 hours, but it's a hell of a show. Or, you can find a good seat at Carnegie Hall for just about any of their concerts for about $50-$70 bucks, although you'll probably have to ignore the empty seats next to you. :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing