Kronos keeps getting better

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I just bought the CH Precision P1. I like it very much. Best solid state phono I've heard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
If you can try CH Precision P1 and also with external power supply X1
Sound is very good and very flexible

It has 2 input in current for MC with low impedance,and 1 input in MM/MC where you can select impedance between 20 to 100.000 ohm and gain from 35 to 70 db.

For exemple i use Opus in current input,GFS in voltage MC input with 400 ohm and Coralstone diamond in MM with his Koetsu MC transformer

Regards
Gianluigi

Sawasdee Gian,

Wow. from what you said, P1 fits my bill. I should ask my dealer for a demo. Interestingly, you have all the brands of cartridge I want to have in my system. But Koetsu is difficult to buy for me, I ask my dealer to get the Palladian instead.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I just bought the CH Precision P1. I like it very much. Best solid state phono I've heard.

Hello MadFloyd,

I see you have the Scps1 now. Hope you like it.
What preamp are you using and what was your old phono?

Kind regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Congrats Mad Floyd,

after 100 hours your P1 will sound much better,will become more natural and with more body.
In future you can try X1,with X1 the sound is more big,more space between instrument,more dynamic and more natural

Regards
Gianluigi

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Tang,

try to test if is possible P1 with his external power supply X1
You will love it

Regards
Gianluigi

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Mad Floyd
in future i suggest to try in your system also L1,and with X1 you can buy a second board where you can connect to X1 both L1 and P1
My friend had Viva preamp top with external power supply and bought L1 and we compared in a shop L1 with Pass XS,Gryphon Pandora,Esoteric Grandioso,CAT pre top and L1 was better

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Mad Floyd
in future i suggest to try in your system also L1,and with X1 you can buy a second board where you can connect to X1 both L1 and P1
My friend had Viva preamp top with external power supply and bought L1 and we compared in a shop L1 with Pass XS,Gryphon Pandora,Esoteric Grandioso,CAT pre top and L1 was better

I think we have to be very careful with this CH Precision. It seems vey contageous. You start with one component then you want to try another. Before you know, you end up a full loom like Gian. ;););)

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Tango,
yes you have right
CH is very contagious and dangerous

For exemple i have L1,P1,C1,X1 with 2 board,A1 mono and M1 mono
I would like to buy a second X1 to use one alone with L1 and one alone with P1

Then i think how will be better P1 and L1 mono with 2 X1 each,so L1 and X1 4 stack and P1 and X1 4 stack

So if you start is dangerous but luckily you can do upgrade slowly,when you can

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Tango,
Yes, you're right about the CH contagion, :)
I've ended up down this road. Problem is, they keep adding new options/components that can take your system even further.
As Gian noted, one of the attractive design features is that CH gear is modular so you can build your system over time when the opportunity allows.
Chris

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hello MadFloyd,

I see you have the Scps1 now. Hope you like it.
What preamp are you using and what was your old phono?

Kind regards,
Tang

Hi Tang,

Yes, I have it, but haven't installed it yet. Three reasons for that:

1) I need someone to help me lift the turntable
2) Since my CH Precision P1 is new, I want to get a good feel for how it is sounding so I can easily recognize the difference when I put the SCPS-1 in.
3) I like having something to look forward to :)

So #1 isn't really a problem, it's more #2 & #3. I'm sure it will be soon though!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tango,
yes you have right
CH is very contagious and dangerous

For exemple i have L1,P1,C1,X1 with 2 board,A1 mono and M1 mono
I would like to buy a second X1 to use one alone with L1 and one alone with P1

Then i think how will be better P1 and L1 mono with 2 X1 each,so L1 and X1 4 stack and P1 and X1 4 stack

So if you start is dangerous but luckily you can do upgrade slowly,when you can

Hello Gian,

Funny how things are. Looking at your history of equipments you turned upside down from various tubes to solid stage. I am on the other hand, is the opposit of you, solid stage to all tube. The absolute sound really is to our own ears.

Kind regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Tango,
as you know the life is strange

I had tube since 1979 with ARC sp8,then spy and D 250 and D79
Then i had Jadis 30,80,200,500.
The only transistor i had in1988/1991 Mark Levinson ML6B and N 20
Then i had triode tube until one year ago,Audio Tekne,,Be Yamamura,Audio note Japan,Mactone otl,Uesugi,Hal amp design,Fal,Dissanayaky,Shindo Petrus,Shinonia and WE 300B,Kondo,
since 1993 till one year ago.

I listen all new transistor,but when i listen CH in the shop and at my home i prefer them,seems same natural sound and sweet of the tube with bass,high,power and speed of transistor and i like a lot.

For information Marc Gomes of SAT has phono CH P1 and external power X1

Regards

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tango,
as you know the life is strange

I had tube since 1979 with ARC sp8,then spy and D 250 and D79
Then i had Jadis 30,80,200,500.
The only transistor i had in1988/1991 Mark Levinson ML6B and N 20
Then i had triode tube until one year ago,Audio Tekne,,Be Yamamura,Audio note Japan,Mactone otl,Uesugi,Hal amp design,Fal,Dissanayaky,Shindo Petrus,Shinonia and WE 300B,Kondo,
since 1993 till one year ago.

I listen all new transistor,but when i listen CH in the shop and at my home i prefer them,seems same natural sound and sweet of the tube with bass,high,power and speed of transistor and i like a lot.

For information Marc Gomes of SAT has phono CH P1 and external power X1

Regards

Could it be that your ears were very good back then and not so good now Gian. :p:p:p

Best regards,
Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thanks Tango. That makes sense. One question, I understand that the Opus is in the perfect spot in the Black Beauty headshell. However, how will you know that you can mount the armboard back in the exact spot on the Kronos table? I have seen the markings back there and I suppose with the right combination of protractor and markings you might be able to get mighty close to the prior position.

Did Marc Gomez elaborate on why his SAT arm is best synergized with those cartridges? Was it developed using those or is it a weight and compliance thing? I read somewhere that my MSL Signature Gold and AirTight Supreme cartridges were developed in part on the SME V or V-12 arm, so I assume there is synergy there too.

It looks like you have the new Kronos power supply. Is it a big upgrade? Oh, yes, keep your toddler away from cartridge cantilevers. Congratulations on parenthood.

It may have to do with the tonal character of the SAT tonearm. It sounds best with cartridges that are neutral.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sawasdee all,

I had the Atlas SL/SAT combo on my Kronos for two months. Before that I had the Opus1/Black Beauty combo. A few days ago I switched the Opus1 back on SAT so now I can really tell how the arm itself perform compare to the BB.

Comparing the SAT to BB, the main differences are in the areas of detail retrieval and refinement. SAT is just so good at showing whats in the groove. I hear more with SAT. Details are finely laid out. When the Opus was on BB, I thought it already gave me excellent sound dimensionality of an instrument...Better than the Atlas SL/SAT on this regard. But with SAT, this dimensionality is further enhanced. In term of dynamic, SAT is not any better than BB.
The sound of my system is also more transparent with SAT. On warp record, when you look at the needle rides the groove, it is quite amazing to see how it sticks to the groove..not a slight sign of hopping or wobble..just very very stable. I also think the SAT is so very neutral. I had three different carts on them. It really brought out the characters of each cart really well. You can really hear what each cart is offering and how different they are.
Basically, I think the SAT just let signals from the cart pass through without interference more than BB. Is it night and day different? No. But If you are in this hobby, you can definitely hear. These are what I hear, definitely not what I try to justify the big bucks I spent on SAT. Does it justify the big bucks? Hell NO. If I am in no position to buy SAT, I would still get damn good sound from the BB. But I am a person that always go extra yards If I could. To be honest, none of the audio gears I bought justify the kind of money I paid. But this is my hobby.

Oh. Actually my Bose Lifestyle surround sound system is the only audio gear justify the money I paid.

Kind regards,
Tang

IMG_2953.JPG

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for that very interesting report!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing