Kronos keeps getting better

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The Canadian sophistication will be running head and shoulder next to the big German vintage.

20170922_134433_resized.jpg

Tang

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He also has a AF1 premium not in the photo

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
congrats Tang,

looking forward to hearing about how the 927 sounds in your system, and in direct comparison to those other formidable tt's. we will all learn a few things from you. exciting stuff.

best regards,

Mike

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
GReat collection Tang. What arm is on the 927?

@Jeffrey. I have an Ortofon 297 and an EMT 997. The 997 will be the rear arm. My EMT doesnt come with a second arm mount like Mr. Karmeli's. But he was nice enough to ask his friend, Airbearing, to show me how to mount the second arm at the rear. I am getting into mono. I plan to mostly use this tt for monos.

@PeterA. The EMT was designed to have a distance from spindle to arm pivot of 297mm. SAT is way too short. I dont think I can compare the Kronos to it. And it is really not my intention to compare these tts. We vinyl lover just like to have different flavours if we have an opportunity right? :D In a while, I will be able to give you my view of the two different flavours. Right now, I am still waiting for a correct size headshell to come. To set up this thing right the distance from the end of tonearm to the tip of cartridge has to be 31mm. That is very short. I have a headshell that is about 50 mm long...just doesnt fit. I have an Anna and an Etna Mono for this tt.

@Mike. I dont know if you can learn anything from me. You and many people here are so very experienced. I can only tell which equipment that I tried sounds good and in what way.

@Bonzo. I was hiding it behind the EMT and you just had to say it.

Kind regards,
Tang

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
@Jeffrey. I have an Ortofon 297 and an EMT 997. The 997 will be the rear arm. My EMT doesnt come with a second arm mount like Mr. Karmeli's. But he was nice enough to ask his friend, Airbearing, to show me how to mount the second arm at the rear. I am getting into mono. I plan to mostly use this tt for monos.

@PeterA. The EMT was designed to have a distance from spindle to arm pivot of 297mm. SAT is way too short. I dont think I can compare the Kronos to it. And it is really not my intention to compare these tts. We vinyl lover just like to have different flavours if we have an opportunity right? :D In a while, I will be able to give you my view of the two different flavours. Right now, I am still waiting for a correct size headshell to come. To set up this thing right the distance from the end of tonearm to the tip of cartridge has to be 31mm. That is very short. I have a headshell that is about 50 mm long...just doesnt fit. I have an Anna and an Etna Mono for this tt.

@Mike. I dont know if you can learn anything from me. You and many people here are so very experienced. I can only tell which equipment that I tried sounds good and in what way.

Kind regards,
Tang

Thanks Tango. I misunderstood your phrase "The Canadian sophistication will be going head to head with the big German vintage." That to me implied a direct comparison. It is now clear that you do not intend to compare the turntables directly, which is fine of course. I agree about enjoying "different flavours if we have an opportunity...." Congratulations on having the opportunity to have such a nice collection of different tables, arms, and cartridges. You are a lucky audiophile. I am sure you will enjoy them and I look forward to reading your impressions about the different flavors.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tango, then you shouldn't have mentioned 3 TTs on another thread and should have hidden AF1 in your signature :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

you write, we learn. your efforts will enlighten us all.

Bonzo is a sh*t disturber and cannot help himself. he stirs it up.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I misunderstood your phrase "The Canadian sophistication will be going head to head with the big German vintage." That to me implied a direct comparison.

Pardon my mistake choosing wrong words Peter. I will edit to "running head and shoulder next to" instead:eek:

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My friends asked me if I would let go any of my tts once AS arrives. I said I keep all of them. But to be honest I thought about if I had to let go one of them which would it be. And it was not going to be the Kronos. I really don’t know how the Kronos manages to sound as it does. It is still my reference. It is not logical to me and probably to many tt gurus. If you really think about its main selling point, the counter rotational platters, this is actually the area that is most questionable. Speed control is the most difficult part of tt to get it done right. Just to get one motor run at stable continuous smooth one motion with no interference is already the super difficult to do, so to get two platters rotating at exact speed and motion to counteract? Really? The design just has so many flaw traps to fall into.

I just don’t know how Louis manage to implement it. The Kronos to my ears sound super good. People who likes the character of Techdas might think otherwise. But to me, with the SAT and Opus1, it sounds more expressive (raw?), emotionally involving, smart casual, less perfectly organized and formal than the Techdas. It’s funny my tonearm guy who also works for the other two owners who have both Kronos and AF1 in the same system in BKK said they made the same comments I do, not knowing or ever talk to each other. Kronos rocks!! :cool:

E3D84A96-720A-4D10-8C93-943FE1EB1749.jpg

Just my opinion,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We also have the data point of Dato' Danon Han who has the Air Force One, the Kronos Pro and the Clearaudio Statement -- and his favorite is the Kronos Pro.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, please report as accurately as possible the contrast of yr Kronos with the new AS when it arrives. It’s v good to hear you’re so happy w the K Pro, esp w the SAT/Opus combination.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, please report as accurately as possible the contrast of yr Kronos with the new AS when it arrives. It’s v good to hear you’re so happy w the K Pro, esp w the SAT/Opus combination.

I am not an analytical listener. However, I have a rating agency who likely will visit me some time after all my tts are optimized. My place is a one-stop-shop for him to do all kind of comparisons including Mooking my system. He can do a much better report :D

Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think I know who you mean. He certainly racks up the Air Miles LOL.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Swami Tim,
Lovin the limbic, it’s the state I’m a virtual full time resident of, also ever so slightly off the beaten track but just read one of your pieces today and much appreciated your review on the Alexia 2s... tbh I don’t always get all these new fangled post modernist writers with their crazy styles so absolutely love your structure and thoughtful, rich expressiveness, you do both form and function proud.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
We also have the data point of Dato' Danon Han who has the Air Force One, the Kronos Pro and the Clearaudio Statement -- and his favorite is the Kronos Pro.

Surprise , surprise & more surprises

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing