Review: Pass B1 Buffered Preamplifier

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Have you tried Lundahl problem solvers? They make larger better transformers but I haven't seen them in a product just for conversion. It wouldn't be cheap as they cost more than Jensen by a good bit.
No, the Jensen's work as advertised for my purposes and their phono SUTs are one of the best kept secrets of high-end audio, great sound and real world pricing.

david

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al M,

Can you tell us more details about what is exactly the DC-coupled 2015 version ? As far as I remember there was the original Pass designed capacitor coupled B1 and then a modification carried by DIY people, the DCB1. I would love to have more details on your 2015 Pass version.

A picture of the inside of your unit would be greatly welcome!

Hi Micro,

here is from the manual:

The circuitry is now DC coupled, removing two coupling capacitors in the signal path.

The DC offset value for the output voltage is less than 1 mV, and it will pass a DC signal as well as audio signal. The output impedance has ben reduced to 125 Ohms, and the distortion has been reduced at all frequencies.

The supply voltages have been increased and the supply noise had greater filtering for lower noise.

There is also a schematic, but it might take me a few days before being able to upload a picture. My connectivity is somewhat from the stone age ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
By the way, you can always contact Nelson Pass by email, his address is on the First Watt website,

http://www.firstwatt.com/

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Micro,

here is from the manual:

There is also a schematic, but it might take me a few days before being able to upload a picture. My connectivity is somewhat from the stone age ;)

Thanks - the manual and schematic on the site http://www.firstwatt.com/ is still that of the old capacitor coupled B1. I will wait for your pictures and schematic.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have built units using Lundhal and Jensen top transformers and, long ago, one using the transformers taken from my old Sony XA-7. I use them just to mix SE and XLR units. They all sound very different and none of them approaches the sound quality of the SMC Flex Connect unit. http://smcaudio.com/products/flex-connect/. Curiously this unit is the worst measuring in terms of distortion of the four!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks - the manual and schematic on the site http://www.firstwatt.com/ is still that of the old capacitor coupled B1. I will wait for your pictures and schematic.

I am afraid I can't send you pictures because the unit is on loan to someone else ;) Also, for some reason my hex keys don't work on the unit, it may be a metric format rather than inch derived.

I'll work on the schematic.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, the Jensen's work as advertised for my purposes and their phono SUTs are one of the best kept secrets of high-end audio, great sound and real world pricing.

david

David,

Do you prefer the JT436 or the JT437? The 6800 ohm loading requirement is not an issue in my case.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi Micro,

here is the requested schematic:

Pass_B1_revised_DC-coupled_version_2014.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing