Koetsu sa 1100 mk VII

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Someone know this tonearm?

Jelco produce this arm and the look of Koetsu arm is exactly the same like the Jelco sa 750,but cost,in Italy,7 times more of Jelco.
The italian distributor my friend,that is the same for Jelco and Koetsu,told me Koetsu has more weight and is better built with more quality,but nobody know the real story.

One customer of italian distributor has on the same turntable this Koetsu arm with Coralstone,and an Ikeda with Blue Lace and told the sound with coralstone and cost arm is little better.

Someone has experience with this arm?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
What a coincidence! I happen to have a Koetsu and Ikeda tonearms mounted on my two turntables. I do not remember the model designations anymore. Neither do I remember their sonic traits. What I remember about the Koetsu tonearm is that on the DPS turntable, it did not have enough height to mount Koetsu cartridges. I had to install a piece of wood between the turntable and the tonearm to raise the height so that I can install any Koetsu cartridge.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I still have a Koetsu SA 1100 somewhere in my drawers - recently I used the Koetsu shell for the SME 3012r. It has a lovely feature for adjusting stylus rake angle - a spring damped system raising the tonearm slowly for height adjustment.

I only used it on the Oracle turntable with old Koetsu's and Kiseki's, that were romantic sounding and lush - it is the only idea I keep of its sound.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Being the Philippine distributor of Koetsu many years ago, I had dealt with this arm, for Mullard88 specifically, and I asked my South East Asian Distributor if the Jelco and the Koetsu tonearms are the same thing. No, he says. The were OEM'ed to Jelco to produce according to the specs and material needs of Sugano-san in those days. There were many incarnations of the Koetsu tonearm, perhaps to MK VI. I'll try to find some of my archived pics.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Thanks,
also italian distributor told the same thing
But the look is same,so this better material of Koetsu tonearm can be the cost 7 times higher?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What I sold was a MKVI

100_2867.JPG 100_2870.jpg 100_2871.jpg 100_2874.jpg 100_2877.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Jelco produce this arm and the look of Koetsu arm is exactly the same like the Jelco sa 750,but cost,in Italy,7 times more of Jelco. (...)

Just re-read your post. What is the cost of the Koetsu arm in Italy? It seems I have an unexpected treasure somewhere in may drawers ...:cool:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks,
also italian distributor told the same thing
But the look is same,so this better material of Koetsu tonearm can be the cost 7 times higher?

Well, it IS a Koetsu. :) Hard to justify their cartridges that cost $15k and $20k just because of the different colored stones either, but it's a Koetsu. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just re-read your post. What is the cost of the Koetsu arm in Italy? It seems I have an unexpected treasure somewhere in may drawers ...:cool:

I'd like to know that too. :) I've lost track of the prices, and I'm not sure when these tonearms were last produced or if they are still in present production. If it's OOP, then it would explain the 7x cost.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Koetsu tonearm euro 6.300
MC tranformer euro 6.000
Coralstone euro 15.800

Jelco sa 750 euro 930

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing