Air Tight Opus 1 arrived

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Yesterday visit us our boss Steve and Marty
Was a beautiful day and we were very happy to know 2 American people of the forum
We hope to know others in future in Italy

Only our dear Bonzo know everybody

The incredible thing is that Steve booked one hotel for his holiday in Italy without inform me,and this hotel is 15 minutes by car from my home
Life sometimes is strange

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
@Peter

I saw the photo but is the angle
The cantilever is perfect
Really the photo show the cantilever has problems

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I see that on the top of this cartridge is written My Sonic Lab.
And also Transrotor tell without secret that is a MSL.

Seems their top Platinum Signature.Price also is near same-

My friend Italian Distributor of Air Tight told me that Opus 1 is better than top of MSL because for his 30 years anniversary of Air Tight,they asked to do something special.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I see that on the top of this cartridge is written My Sonic Lab.
And also Transrotor tell without secret that is a MSL.

Seems their top Platinum Signature.Price also is near same-

My friend Italian Distributor of Air Tight told me that Opus 1 is better than top of MSL because for his 30 years anniversary of Air Tight,they asked to do something special.

Gian, it seems the AirTight Opus 1 borrowed the cantilever and stylus shape from the MSL Sig Gold and departed from the AirTight Supreme. I have not heard the Opus 1 but from the descriptions I have read, its sound seems consistent with the differences between my Supreme and Sig Gold. In other words, the Opus is described like what I hear in my MSL Sig Gold. I have not read anything about the new top MSL Platinum Signature. I don't know who the new MSL distributor in the US is now. It used to be Basis Audio.

MSL Sig Gold

frame9.jpg

AirTight Supreme

frame8 2.jpg

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
In Italy also have same price

Transrotor euro 10.500
MSL Signature Gold euro 10.165

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Sure Opus and MSL are very similar.
Next year i would like to buy MSL Platinum
In Italy cost euro 11.860.Italian distributor is my friend since 30 years and i can have a good discount
If you are interested i put you in contact with him

Regards

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Opus1 vs AtlasSL

I used to have Opus1 on Black Beauty for about a year. Then I changed to SAT and put Atlas SL on for eight weeks. Today is my fifth day putting Opus1 back on SAT.

Opus1 is quieter. Blackground noise is way lower. Just music pop out. Dynamic the same. They are just as fast. The SL is sooo revealing. Pick up everything in the groove but sound coarse comparing to Opus. The SL sounds like everything in the picture is light up, so clear, so detail, a bit skinny but not thin, not sexy. The SL attracts me to hearing what the microphone pick ups. Very very transparent. Often gave me amazement. Maybe the SAT with SL is too detail. I dont know if I can say the SL is more true to source because I was not there when music was recorded, but it sure makes me think that way.
On the other hand, the Opus sounds so smooth and organic. It just sounds more beautiful. Full body. Can I say there is more shading in sound. Way more dimensional. You can feel the body of instruments from hearing. SL is not flat but seems flat by comparison. Opus draws me into music. Engage me to musical performance a lot more. Sounds very pleasant to the ears. Sound image is slightly bigger with Opus. I actually like the size and scale of sounds more from SL. Seems more true to me on this regard. To me the Opus has everything that SL has, but it presents itself differently. The details, the high and low that SL excels at are all present in Opus but they are presented in a more organic and natural way. The SAT really let loose what Opus can do and make me want to buy another Opus for future backup.

Kind regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Tang,

i think exactly same like you.
I have Opus 1 and i sold my new Atlas,not SL,to my friend that has different system,but turntable,tonearm,Pre CH L1 and phono P1 same like me.

In my friend system i listen Atlas very very good,but little less natural than opus1.
I find opus 1 little more natural,more depth and image.

You can think also to buy MSL Signature Platinum,to change,i think also very good,but i listen in Italy only in exhibition.

Regards

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
I bought the AT Supreme about 2-3 months as an upgrade over my Benz LPS. Should have got the Opus 1 at the time but had an attack of sticker price shock.
It will be my next cartridge though, It's the best cartridge I have heard.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This arrived yesterday. In a few months will tell you guys if it is better than the Opus.
IMG_2966.JPG

Kind regards,
Tang

EricAlasia

Jul 25, 2017
Paris
Gian, may I ask if after few months of use, You have modified your opinion regarding the Opus/Coralstone comparison?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I find coralstone diamond very natural sound,very good on voices and classic music
Opus 1 is more universal
If i have to choose one i really don't know

I have many cartridges and i would like to buy others and organize with 4 turntable with 8 tonearm because every one of these top cartridges are very special

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I find coralstone diamond very natural sound,very good on voices and classic music
Opus 1 is more universal

I have many cartridges and i would like to buy others and organize with 4 turntable with 8 tonearm because every one of these top cartridges are very special

you're the man gian. You do have a stable of wonderful cartridges

EricAlasia

Jul 25, 2017
Paris
Opus 1 is more universal

that's a project!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Opus 1 is more universal

Have you ever tried the Blue Lace. I am wondering what the difference in sound to Coral Stone.
Koetsu and Zyx are carts I want to buy, but they dont have dealer in Thailand.
My plan is three turntables with five arms.

Kind regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I always listen in my life only vinyl
I have a cd Wadia S7I that is very very good and for me is enough.

15/16 years ago i had about more than 20 cartridges where the best were
Clearaudio Insider,Koetsu Jade Platinum,Lyra Titan,Transf. Temper,Jeff Rowland( was Ikeda),Yamamura,Audio Tekne,Krell,Mark levinson,Spectral MCR and Signature,Satin M18 E,Monster Alfa,Koetsu Rosewood,plus others,so i always enjoy changing cartridge where you change the sound of your system.

Now i have Coralstone diamond,Opus 1,GFS,Ortofon A95,Ortofon SPU 95 and SPU Synergy,Colibri,Audiotekne,Audio Tecnica mono anniversary.

I am planning to buy Proteus,Soundsmith Hyperion,Msl platinum signature,Atlas sl,Shelter Harmony,all where i can have a good price.
I would like to buy also a ZYX but in Italy price list is more than 30% higher than other place with no big discount
Acoustical System there isn't in Italy

I have Sindre Bergmann,Schopper TD 124,i am taking AF3 with Elite,changing with my CH A1 that i don't use and i would like to buy a Torqueo with Saec 506,where Torqueo restored the Saec arm like new
and i would like to put on AF3 Elite 12",Koetsu SA 1100 MK VII,that i have,with Coralstone diamond,and other 2 arms that i don't know,could be one is simplicity II of Thales and other
Da Vinci Vertu 12"

My dream after 2 years will be AF1 with SAT

This is my plan

Never tried Blue Lace,one friend has but never compared with coralstone

Regards to everybody

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gian, you are crazy my friend
That's good crazy, not bad crazy
So many carts, so many lps, so little time
We vinylphiles salute you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing