Air Tight Opus 1 arrived

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
All of these posts really make me want to hear the new MSL Platinum Signature. Some of my golden eared a'phile friends, who have heard this cartridge, claim it is far better sounding than the Opus 1!!!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
All of these posts really make me want to hear the new MSL Platinum Signature. Some of my golden eared a'phile friends, who have heard this cartridge, claim it is far better sounding than the Opus 1!!!

I prefer my MSL Signature Gold to my AirTight Supreme. The Opus 1 uses some of the features of the MSL Sig Gold like the cantilever material and I think the impedance and output is the same. I'd have to look at the specs again. The Supreme was designed first, then the MSL Sig gold was developed followed by the Opus 1, so they may have used some of the ideas first developed in the MSL Sig Gold.

How do you friends describe the differences between the Opus and the Plat. Signature?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Realistically, with minor material and design differences, they are almost the same cartridge. It does not make sense to me that one could possibly be far better sounding than the other.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I prefer my MSL Signature Gold to my AirTight Supreme. The Opus 1 uses some of the features of the MSL Sig Gold like the cantilever material and I think the impedance and output is the same. I'd have to look at the specs again. The Supreme was designed first, then the MSL Sig gold was developed followed by the Opus 1, so they may have used some of the ideas first developed in the MSL Sig Gold.

How do you friends describe the differences between the Opus and the Plat. Signature?

Consensus seems to be that the MSL is more resolving and rides quieter in the groove. I'm not certain how this could be accomplished...and as I said, I have not heard the MSL. I have heard the Opus 1 ( even though I think the US pricing is bordering on insulting, there seem to be examples around), and I think it's a great cartridge, so to beat it in those areas would lead me to want to hear the MSL for myself.

Interestingly, and as usual, the price of the MSL in Japan is but a mere fraction of what it is here. ( and most likely in Europe as well!) That is going to make the cartridge more difficult to hear here. Although, I understand that the distribution of the MSL line is now under the control of Music Direct ( it was with AJ Conti before his passing) ...and I have it on some authority that Music Direct is going to be re-aligning the pricing structure with what they believe the US market will bear. ( Presumably they will be priced lower...???-- how much lower is anybody's guess. Nonetheless, I'm sure that Music Direct will still be going for the jugular---maybe not quite as much as before; and certainly no where near what they can be sourced for in Japan).

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Italian distributor of Air tight told me that they asked to MSL to do a very special cartridge for the 30 anniversary of Air tight

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
In Italy only i have Opus 1,and no one bought Platinum,distributors told me.

I will push Tango that is buying all the best cartridges to buy it and do test for us

If the Italian Don of Highend pushes me, how could I resist. With ddk’s tt I have so many arms left after all..hahaha
My radar is still on the ZYX. But now I am leaning toward not so low output cart. I think they are more easily match with my phonos.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If the Italian Don of Highend pushes me, how could I resist. With ddk’s tt I have so many arms left after all..hahaha
My radar is still on the ZYX. But now I am leaning toward not so low output cart. I think they are more easily match with my phonos.

Tang

You can always get the CH for the zyx :rolleyes:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I like my Koetsu because sound more natural than Atlas sl and GFS,that are very transparent,dynamic and GFS is explosive,but in my system are little light on mid bass and i listen a very little electric sound while Koetsu seems more natural with mid,voices and chamber music very impressive

Opus 1 has same natural sound like Koetsu,with controlled and very deep bass,high more open and near same Atlas,with very wide and deep scene
and sound very well with everything,from chamber music,jazz to Kraftwerk
And dynamic cover all the range,while GFS and Atlas seems more dynamic in mid high

Tang that write in English much better than me can explain better

This in my system,could be other system has different result

Obviously, Gian and I are not twins, but what he said is nothing short of what I think on these carts. We both have almost similar carts and pretty much hear the same characteristics. I said a few times that my Kronos/SAT/Opus with good jazz vocal records sound close to or sometime better than tape. Most people probably say that is bullshit. But I hear what I hear. This is why I want to improve the sound from my Studer. I think tape should sound better than tt in bigger margin than this.

To answer Ron’s question. Yes, I prefer the Opus to Coralstone.

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Consensus seems to be that the MSL is more resolving and rides quieter in the groove. I'm not certain how this could be accomplished...

I agree with DaveyF about how this could be accomplished.
On resolving and quieter side of things, I compare the Opus to tape all the time. If a cart gets any more resolving and quiet than the Opus, I must buy. All digital guys came listened to my vinyl, they all said they didn’t know vinyl can get this awefully quiet (apart from some pops) and then they realized what they were missing from other things...hehe.

Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Ked,Tang can also buy a mc trans to use with ZYX instead to buy CH

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
you guys aware that MSL and AT carts are the same manufacture yes?
their is a zero chance anyone can buy a "AIR TIGHT" carts in Japan. only MSL.

now even more so, when the MSL master
21361125_1208846965914357_2010688187_n.jpg
stopped building their cart's and moved his designs and manufacture to PLATANUS.
Platanus is now one of the most important Japanese cart builders...
Tetsuya Sukehiro and Osamu Nagao

Testsuya san is the youngest of the two. and he is actually build the Cart's.
he was previously builded the Ikeda cart line...
and now with his own "brand" platanus cart (its actually Miyabi fuuga) build MSL + AIRTIGHT and others brands.

Reactions: amadeus and marmota

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Ked,Tang can also buy a mc trans to use with ZYX instead to buy CH

I probably have to buy one and need your advise.

Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
For experience mine and my friend is better use the same brand
Koetsu with koetsu,Atlas with erodion
MSL with MSL
For Zyx I have no experience

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Obviously, Gian and I are not twins, but what he said is nothing short of what I think on these carts. We both have almost similar carts and pretty much hear the same characteristics. I said a few times that my Kronos/SAT/Opus with good jazz vocal records sound close to or sometime better than tape. Most people probably say that is bullshit. But I hear what I hear. This is why I want to improve the sound from my Studer. I think tape should sound better than tt in bigger margin than this.

To answer Ron’s question. Yes, I prefer the Opus to Coralstone.

Tang

Tape sound quality is variable, just like vinyl sound quality. I have only heard R2R tape a few times directly compared to vinyl in the same system. I have no difficulty believing that a top vinyl source can sound as good or better than some tape sources.

Philb7777

Mar 11, 2013
Quick Question - I am considering an Air Tight Opus-1, but cannot find any cartridge loading info on the net or various sites. My ARC - Ref Phone 2se has loading capabilities of 50,100, 200, 400, 1000, 2500 and 47K ohms. The impedance of the Opus is 1.4 ohms.

For those who have listened or own an Air Tight Opus-1 cart, what to do prefer to load it at with your phone pre?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Gian!

This is the best cartridge I've ever heard, bar none! I've compared it to the A95 (no comparison) and the top of the line ZYX (again, not even close). Oh, comparisons were done on the Kronos Pro with the Black Beauty tonearm...
It does the "smooth" thing like the ZYX, while still being extremely "alive" and dynamic like the A95.

cheers,
alex

Dear Alex,

Since this post almost a year ago do you have any additional observations comparing the Air Tight Opus to the ZYX UNIverse Premium?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Dear Alex,

Since this post almost a year ago do you have any additional observations comparing the Air Tight Opus to the ZYX UNIverse Premium?

Hi Ron,

Sorry, both Air Tight as well as the ZYX are long gone. We might get another Air Tight soon, so I'll have the chance to listen some more. I've been listening mostly to the A95 for the past year...

cheers,
alex

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Keb Mo from Kronos Pro/SAT/Opus1.

Tang:)

Reactions: amadeus

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
where you put AS 2000?

Hi Gian,

I will move my 3seater sofa one meter to the right and the put the AS there. With new phonos coming in, I have no more space and have to put AF1 motor controller and pump on the floor to make rooms. I wish I could take the sofa out but my wife will cut all my audio budget.

Kind regards,
Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing