Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Air Tight Opus 1 arrived

you guys aware that MSL and AT carts are the same manufacture yes?
    their is a zero chance anyone can buy a "AIR TIGHT" carts in Japan. only MSL.

now even more so, when the MSL master
    Name:  21361125_1208846965914357_2010688187_n.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  27.1 KB
    stopped building their cart's and moved his designs and manufacture to PLATANUS.
    Platanus is now one of the most important Japanese cart builders...
    Tetsuya Sukehiro and Osamu Nagao

Testsuya san is the youngest of the two. and he is actually build the Cart's.
    he was previously builded the Ikeda cart line...
    and now with his own "brand" platanus cart (its actually Miyabi fuuga) build MSL + AIRTIGHT and others brands.
    Speakers:Magico Q3 Preamp:E.A.R 912 Amp:Luxman m900
    Cables:Siltech Double Crown Power:Nordost Odin1,Argento master flow
    Digital: Metronome C8/Aurender N10
    TT1TechDAS AF3/Thales Simplicity II/Ortofon RS212D/DV507MK2
    TT2:Torqueo T34 Exclusive Zebrano/ikeda 407
    Carts': Ortofon Anna,Zyx R1000 airy3,VDH Colibri Stradivarius,EMT XSD15,Murasakino Sumile,Koetsu Tsugaru,Top Wing Suzaku,DS W2
    Phono: CH Precision P1 Racks: Solid Tech Rack of silence reference Power treatmentPs Audio P10

Quote Originally Posted by gian60 View Post
    Hi Ked,Tang can also buy a mc trans to use with ZYX instead to buy CH
    I probably have to buy one and need your advise.

Tang

For experience mine and my friend is better use the same brand
    Koetsu with koetsu,Atlas with erodion
    MSL with MSL
    For Zyx I have no experience

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Obviously, Gian and I are not twins, but what he said is nothing short of what I think on these carts. We both have almost similar carts and pretty much hear the same characteristics. I said a few times that my Kronos/SAT/Opus with good jazz vocal records sound close to or sometime better than tape. Most people probably say that is bullshit. But I hear what I hear. This is why I want to improve the sound from my Studer. I think tape should sound better than tt in bigger margin than this.

To answer Ron’s question. Yes, I prefer the Opus to Coralstone.

Tang
    Tape sound quality is variable, just like vinyl sound quality. I have only heard R2R tape a few times directly compared to vinyl in the same system. I have no difficulty believing that a top vinyl source can sound as good or better than some tape sources.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quick Question - I am considering an Air Tight Opus-1, but cannot find any cartridge loading info on the net or various sites. My ARC - Ref Phone 2se has loading capabilities of 50,100, 200, 400, 1000, 2500 and 47K ohms. The impedance of the Opus is 1.4 ohms.

For those who have listened or own an Air Tight Opus-1 cart, what to do prefer to load it at with your phone pre?

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Hi Gian!

This is the best cartridge I've ever heard, bar none! I've compared it to the A95 (no comparison) and the top of the line ZYX (again, not even close). Oh, comparisons were done on the Kronos Pro with the Black Beauty tonearm...
    It does the "smooth" thing like the ZYX, while still being extremely "alive" and dynamic like the A95.

cheers,
    alex
    Dear Alex,

Since this post almost a year ago do you have any additional observations comparing the Air Tight Opus to the ZYX UNIverse Premium?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Dear Alex,

Since this post almost a year ago do you have any additional observations comparing the Air Tight Opus to the ZYX UNIverse Premium?
    Hi Ron,

Sorry, both Air Tight as well as the ZYX are long gone. We might get another Air Tight soon, so I'll have the chance to listen some more. I've been listening mostly to the A95 for the past year...

cheers,
    alex
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Air Tight - Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Keb Mo from Kronos Pro/SAT/Opus1.

Tang

Excellent Tang,

where you put AS 2000?

Ciao
    Gian

Quote Originally Posted by gian60 View Post
    where you put AS 2000?
    Hi Gian,

I will move my 3seater sofa one meter to the right and the put the AS there. With new phonos coming in, I have no more space and have to put AF1 motor controller and pump on the floor to make rooms. I wish I could take the sofa out but my wife will cut all my audio budget.

Kind regards,
    Tang

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast