Active v passive isolation, yet ANOTHER thread!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yes folks, this subject is covered in a multitude of related threads
So I thought I'd clog up the WBF airwaves more w yet another one LOL!

About to trial active v passive isolating platforms under my tt
Passive is the well-received Minus K BM-8
Active was going to be the Herzan TS-150, but going for a new contender, the Kuraka E-Stable Mini-450
It's 1/2-2/3 the cost of the Herzan, and by all accts in the same ballpark of performance
Over the next few days I'm going to carefully move my tt from Symposium Isis rack to first the BM-8, absorb its effects for a couple of days, then the Kuraka, again take things in, then return to original setup, and draw my conclusions
Will have the venerable Blue58 on hand on Saturday to give his take
Wish me luck...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I really can't see the rationale for active. Isolation for tts is predominately to reassign and attenuate frequencies below 200 Hz, which are the main offenders. Passive methods are more than adequate. Internal vibrations always have to be handled by the turntable topology, itself, anyway. Why have another thing to plug in unless you just like the Flash Gordon aspect and want more blinking lights and leds?

As for testimonials, they have all the value of, well, testimonials.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, I'm minded to agree w you
It so happens both the Minus K, Kuraka and Herzan are distributed my SN Tech, not more than 10 miles away, and they're more than happy for me to audition both
My money is on the MK

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am very convinced about the rationale for active isolation for electronics and suspensionless turntables. I find extremely impressive the youtube.com videos demonstrating the efficacy of the Herzan.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I really can't see the rationale for active.

I agree, but I'm sure for different reasons. One being that vibration-induced distortions is a mechanical problem and therefore, a proper mechanical solution should be more than sufficient.

Isolation for tts is predominately to reassign and attenuate frequencies below 200 Hz, which are the main offenders.

If there was any truth to your claim here about predominantly focusing on frequencies below 200Hz, are you not also implying that listening volume levels have much to do with whether or not a vibration controlling product was able to preserve a high level of the input signals' fidelity?

In other words, if what you say about frequencies below 200Hz is true, shouldn't the fidelity of our playback systems soar to significantly higher levels if we only listened to string quartets at elevator volume listening levels?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
How's the shoot out? Love to hear your feedbacks.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Going to have to wait
I've had to return my Straingauge back to the US for servicing
When it returns, I'm aiming to upgrade the psu to overspecced dual mono to cut out faults from the batt psu, and then run the isoln trial
I would say hold yr breath, but you may go a little blue in the meantime

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing