9in vs 10.5in vs 12in arms. Which would you choose?

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
prior to my Durand experiences I did own various 9" and 10.5" inch arms, a couple of Graham, Triplaner, 3 Reed, and Schroeder. I also owned the liner tracker Rockport Sirius III arm for 8 years.

while involved with Durand testing mostly they were 10.5" and 12" with many different arm wands and various materials. the current arm wands on my 2 Durand Telos 12'' tonearms are both composite.

What made you swap out from a 8 year time with the Linear tracker arm. Given they solve the issue I don't see too many people using this type of design these days. Have a number of friends that own the Durand it is a great arm

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Thanks Josh, looks like just an off the cuff comment in that video.

david

Ahh but I often find when you want a reviewer to tell the truth you look for it in "off the cuff" moments like these. Almost like no one is watching and they forget they are on camera so the truth just comes out

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
however; my intuition tells me that execution is more significant than just length at the top of the food chain. and context is almost as important. and that the last word on the truth of this subject has yet to be written.

I would love to compare the 9" SAT to my 12" Durand Sapphire Telos in my system.

Totally agree with you sir.

This year I plan to try SAT vs Telos Saphire with GFS on NVS/ Herzan. But once the dealer told me the price of Saphire is $70,000, my plan just collapsed...ha..ha. I will try the Axiom vs SAT instead.

Only you can do the comparison Mr.Lavigne.

Best regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Totally agree with you sir.

This year I plan to try SAT vs Telos Saphire with GFS on NVS/ Herzan. But once the dealer told me the price of Saphire is $70,000, my plan just collapsed...ha..ha. I will try the Axiom vs SAT instead.

Only you can do the comparison Mr.Lavigne.

Best regards,
Tang

:D

not sure about that price for the Telos Sapphire (there are only a very, very few out there).....the comparison would be interesting. but honestly I just don't think about tone arms any more.....or if I have the 'best' or not. I just like what I'm hearing.

and I don't anticipate having the funds to acquire an SAT any time soon. but who knows what opportunities might present themselves?

it would not surprise me if I preferred the SAT considering all the positive feedback it gets. in fact, I'd love for other tone arms to get even better than mine......and know that there is still more music in those grooves we all get to enjoy.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Which difference there are between Telos and Telos Sapphire?
Italian distributor has in catalogue the Durand Telos

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Which difference there are between Telos and Telos Sapphire?
Italian distributor has in catalogue the Durand Telos

It will be interesting if you get Telos since you already have the GFS, because Mike's system jumps up a lot with the Telos and GFS

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing