Exiting Analogue

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
I am debating the sale of my TT and phono amp. The idea would severely disappoint me; however, it is being driven by an outside variable beyond my control. I live in NYC and have invested heavily into my system, my outside variable is the public transportation which has the capacity to shake my building when it passes (which is many times a day). i have investigated isolation tables and believe the only one that could really work is an air isolation structure (the industrial benches used for precise cutting, etc). but i don't think i (nor my wife) really wants one in our living room.

i love analogue and i am interested to hear others takes on reel to reel or even smaller isolation supports that might help.

thanks,

brian

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
Two recommendations. First, speak with Mike Latvis at HRS. If he doesn't think a passive solution would suffice, take a look at Halcyonics active shelves.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree with Robert 100%

Brian you have a terrific system and these stands will not only obviate your problem but they are not bad to look at. If it were me that is what I would be doing. Failing that I might want to buy your turntable and associated equipment

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
Steve, I will let you know...i wont make a decision until after the holidays.

i am currently fighting the city to fix the problem as the culprit is a loose pipe that rattles and in turn shakes a number of buildings on our block when the public transportation passes by. realistically the city could take a couple of years to fix the problem. I love analogue, but i am very happy with my digital front end and utilize the digital for a majority of my listening. I wonder if i am being overly stubborn in trying to fix this problem.

if i do decide to go in this direction, i will let you know before i put it on Audiogon. it is number 1 of 77 special edition TT's that Da Vinci made in the Onyx color, a beautiful table.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would not sale the tt/phono preamp. I suggest a wall mount or some sort of floatation system.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If you're still playing CDs, get online, download Foobar (a digital media player for Windows) and a Foobar AB/X plug-in. Get a couple of your favorite albums digitized at 16/44.1 and 24/192. If you can't hear the difference between the vinyl and the digitization, and it's not likely you will, you have your answer. You can probably put together a good server for not much more than an active isolation system. Digitize the rest of your collection. Yeah, it will take awhile, but it's an adventure as you play your entire collection, probably for the first time in years, over the next couple of months. What do you get for it all? Great sound and incredible benefits in ease of use. I type in "Listen To The Lion" and get the original version from St. Dominc's Preview, the live one from It's Too Late To Stop Now and the live one from Astral Weeks Live At The Hollywood Bowl. Instantly. The convenience is wonderful. The access is empowering.

I find myself listening to music I haven't heard in years, making "mix tapes" as fast as I can think of another great tune and drag and drop it into place. Analog is a beautiful obsession until you cut the cord. Looking back, it's just OCD. :)

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^ With respect Tim..this is not the place to advocate your obvious preference for digital.

John

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
Hi Tim,

i do have a great digital set up - Mac Mini into Scarlatti Upsampler - DAC with external clock. I love it. i love analogue too, probably even more. The question here is whether I am suffering too much to continue using my analogue set up. trust me when the subway goes buy the cartridge bounces multiple times. i have considered reel to reel or isolation devices. I am interested in different opinions on reel to reel as well as those who have pondered the troubles of TTs.

BH

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hi Brian-Suspension from the sealing is an option. With all candor vibration that bad is no doubt affecting your entire system. I suggest you seek professional advice. IMO digital is just as vulnerable to vibration.
I sold my SOTA Sapphire and VP Aries II. I still regret. I could now have them both.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
^^^ With respect Tim..this is not the place to advocate your obvious preference for digital.

John

What could possibly be a more appropriate place to talk about the virtues of converting vinyl to digital than a thread entitled "Exiting Analog?"

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What could possibly be a more appropriate place to talk about the virtues of converting vinyl to digital than a thread entitled "Exiting Analog?"

Tim

Because it has nothing to do with what Brian is asking? You're selectively reading what you want to.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hi Tim,

i do have a great digital set up - Mac Mini into Scarlatti Upsampler - DAC with external clock. I love it. i love analogue too, probably even more. The question here is whether I am suffering too much to continue using my analogue set up. trust me when the subway goes buy the cartridge bounces multiple times. i have considered reel to reel or isolation devices. I am interested in different opinions on reel to reel as well as those who have pondered the troubles of TTs.

BH

I've been through bouncing tables and I empathize; it is troublesome. Have you digitized any vinyl? You might be surprised with the results. It might be a much easier/better solution than trying to isolate your turntable.

Tim

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I had similar issues in college on the upper floor of an old, old house. Anytime someone walked in the room I risked skipping. Solved it by putting the turntable on nine* tall springs from an old box spring set. It looked strange and a bit wobbly, but you could jump up and down so the walls shook, windows rattled, and things fell off shelves -- and the TT played on! :)

HTH - Don

* My earlier TT used 6 springs; I tuned for weight. I placed a sheet of foam rubber on the top of the stand to help capture the springs so they didn't shift, and glued another piece on a thin piece of hardboard so the springs engaged the foam on the bottom and the TT sat on top. I eventually built a simple side-box to hide the springs to please the more aesthetically minded in the house.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
i love analogue and i am interested to hear others takes on reel to reel or even smaller isolation supports that might help.
Brian, do you have any personal experience with R2R? It often is amazing. With a system such as yours, I think you would be well served to seriously explore it.

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
I don't know if my wife will let me put a box spring in our living room ;)

I don't have experience with R2R, i am intrigued. I am continuing to look at solutions for isolation, the better the solution the more cumbersome it is. i will keep exploring.

what is the best way to get R2R experience and how large are the libraries for R2R software?

Steve, i saw your new post and will follow it there - thanks

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Brian

Although I don't have a TT, I do have a pristine Studer A810 and honestly the sound is simply wonderful. As for availability of recorded music, I would start by subscribing to The Tape Project (after you find a machine of course).

Brian if you are interested in a R2R, PM me and I will give you the number of the guy who got me mine. Ebay is a good source as well as calling Dan at the Tape Project to see if he has any for sale

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing