Exiting Analogue

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Brian - just sell it all! ... You are right... (hhmmm I know someone that would buy your analog setup right away...ME) :)

Joking here.....

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Microstrip beat me to it ...I was going to suggest the Vibraplane as well, there are small models and in my experience the Vibraplane models simply work... There will be a lot one can say about vibration isolating devices .. The Vibraplane remains head and shoulder above the rest. As Invisible as they get :

Model specs are HERE

They pop up from time to time on e-Bay at more than reasonable prices ... <$300

Not to make of this an issue but while R2R can be wonderful, the scarcity of releases doesn't make it a viable option... The Tape Project remains IMO a microscopic niche that may showcase what analog at its best can do but not as a source of music.. I am not sure that they have 100 titles in their catalog ..not even 50 ... if that is their entire catalog .. the only term that comes to mind is "sparse"
CATALOG

I have exited analog for other reasons and don't feel I am missing much ... that's another subject/thread/debate ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

Microstrip beat me to it ...I was going to suggest the Vibraplane as well, there are small models and in my experience the Vibraplane models simply work... There will be a lot one can say about vibration isolating devices .. The Vibraplane remains head and shoulder above the rest. As Invisible as they get :

Model specs are HERE

They pop up from time to time on e-Bay at more than reasonable prices ... <$300

Not to make of this an issue but while R2R can be wonderful, the scarcity of releases doesn't make it a viable option... The Tape Project remains IMO a microscopic niche that may showcase what analog at its best can do but not as a source of music.. I am not sure that they have 100 titles in their catalog ..not even 50 ... if that is their entire catalog .. the only term that comes to mind is "sparse"
CATALOG

I have exited analog for other reasons and don't feel I am missing much ... that's another subject/thread/debate ;)

The tought thing though Frantz is that I don't know if the LF cutoff is low enough for Brian with the Vibraplane. I think we're talking frequencies for trucks being around 2 Hz. Not sure if the VP as configured will go down there. In my old lab, we used a very different vibraplane under microscopes that was a one ton bed on top of the cannister feet that provided far better isolation.

The question though is this too. Would possibly mass loading be the cure or maybe a different table might provide better isolation?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This model might be the better one then ... Ultra-low Frequency with isolation of up to 90% around 1 Hz and lower ..

Specs are HERE

Vibraplane products remain the most effective both subjectively and objectively if one goals is vibration control .... They regularly pop-up on eBay at very good prices... Shipping for the larger models is not trivial ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Frantz:

This is another company with products comparable to the Vibraplane. This one is beat up but an example of what to look for too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEWPORT-Optical-Vibration-Isolation-Table-Breadboard-/150534886139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230c9412fb

Allen Perkins used the Newport parts in his active isolation device that is sadly no longer made. My friend uses Allen's device under his VPI TNT and is makes a sizeable difference.

I also hear that Kevin Tellekamp of SRA is working on his own active isolation device; there is no timetable though for release that I know of.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
If you have a decent sized vinyl collection don't give up! Reel to reel can be great. But realistically, a few dozen audiophile blockbusters will only be a supplement to your collection. It will not be a good substitute for a large part of your music library. Converting to digital actually can work pretty well but it is very time consuming, at least when I do it. I hope you find a solution that lets you keep what you have.

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Jay, you (and someone else, I can't remember) mention converting to digital. What about converting to tape? Is this a viable option?

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Hopefully someone can weigh-in on analog tape as a practical recording possibility. Many of the efforts today seem to be focused on high quality playback rather than recording.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Brain
Beside to solve the TT problems you can get in to R2R as well to tast a different analog sound because they really don't sound the same. Studer A80 is sound better than A810 if you have enough room for it, I do believe tape will follow like vinyl's come back, also I believe the best sound in- put is master tape, next is copy of master tape and follow by copy of the copy from the master tape ( Tape Project or most pre recorded tape in the market ) one more advantage is you can make your own master tape by live recording with high quality MIC and pre amp for best repro sound or if you have two machine you can make copies from a very good sound recorded tape too for your music library
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing