Dedicated Lines or power conditioning

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I have always wondered why people who have say 5 or 6 dedicated lines and then buy a power conditioner. This defeats the purpose of the dedicated lines as now everything is plugged into only one dedicated line. Doesn't it make sense to have an isolating transformer for each dedicated line? How come there are no companies making these?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Ideally you'd have a power conditioner for each line.

Isolation transformers need to be oversize not to limit dynamics and at that point you're better off going with a balanced power transformer vs an iso.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You can have systems where some components connected directly to dedicated lines and others to one or more a power conditioners connected to other dedicated lines - these options are not exclusive. Sometimes I have a PSAudio P10 connected to a dedicated line just for the preamplifier and digital sources and the power amplifier monoblocks connected to other lines.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Balanced power? Check out Torus and Equi=Tech.

Also, with multiple lines at some point it makes sense to install a wall-mount sub-panel that contains filtration, surge protection and possibly balanced power. Check out Torus and SurgeX. Most of the time more than one line is not required, and often when it is done it is done improperly and results in more noise than one line. Installing a sub panel as close to your system as possible is a good idea to minimize noise if you really need more than one line.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Dedicated lines still go back to your main panel. Anything connected to other breakers in the panel can still impact your dedicated line (breaker).

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
It's all important; a dedicated line can still bring all the bad results that are present on the line to your gear. I was advised a long time ago that you had to look at power as an entire component of your system from the point the main power lead comes close to your house all the way into your system. That's why you'll see people, even those of us with power conditioners, tackling power from the meter (and before) all the way to the speaker so to speak. Here are the areas I have focused on; please note that at various points people suggested isolation transformers to me as well but it seemed that for every positive vote, I'd collect one or two negative votes against the idea for various reasons including some curtailing dynamic headroom and current, those that injected noise into the room, house or line, etc....so I've not gone down that route.

Here are the main areas I've chosen to focus on;

Grounding: Dual 1" diameter 10' ground rods pounded in 8' apart outside the house; 4 gauge solid copper ground leads attached in series to from ground rod-1 to rod-2 to the meter-head going into house; CADWELD bonding of ground wires to rods and to meter head instead of clips which can expand, contract and loosen, corrode, etc...

More Grounding: Environmental Potentials EP-2750 Ground Filters on feed from main panel to sub-panel and on my dedicated circuit(s) in the sub-panel...
More More Grounding :)cool:): Granite Audio Ground Zero star-grounding system to everything (except speakers)

Power and Ground Quality: Cutler-Hammer main house panel and GE Sub-panel, both with COPPER BUS BARs

Power Conditioning: Environmental Potentials EP-2050 Wave-Form Correction & Surge Suppression Device (on main house panel)
Isotek EVO3 TITAN for power amp power conditioning
Isotek EVO3 SIGMAS for front-end power conditioning

for further details, see my system posting...

Regardless whether you utilize the products I list above or other alternatives, I'd suggest that in addition to a dedicated line, you put together a plan to attack all the categories above; I did and frankly it's the part of the system that I look at and say 'done' more often than any other...

***On the subject of multiple dedicated circuits feeding the same system; I've been down this road several different ways. It is a good idea but like feeding multiple duplexes off the same dedicated circuit, you have to focus doubly hard to verifying that you have the exact same ground potential on every power outlet or your equipment will not see the same ground plane which will have various ways of manifesting itself in your audio system (ground loops/hum, lack of blackest backgrounds possible, etc....)

Reactions: treitz3

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have always wondered why people who have say 5 or 6 dedicated lines and then buy a power conditioner. This defeats the purpose of the dedicated lines as now everything is plugged into only one dedicated line. Doesn't it make sense to have an isolating transformer for each dedicated line? How come there are no companies making these?

I don't use any power conditioning. Just straight from the tap,as 98 pct of the electrical corruption comes from the equipment itself.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
+1 No conditioning.....

In every house I've had, always had 3 dedicated lines, one for each amp and the other for sources. Never had grounding issues.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
SC, you my friend are a true pioneer
I salute you
My engineer wanted to reduce impedance to nr zero by installing SIX 6' spaced 10' copper rods along the water we border on to
I'm afraid this was one step TOO far LOL
Settled on: feed to dedicated audio room split before feed to property>18mm copper SWA cbl direct to dedicated consumer unit for system>Oyaide to 8kVA Westwick balanced pwr transformer (UK and European equivalent of EquiTech)>Oyaide back to consumer unit>six Oyaides to six Furutech duplexes
Final impedance achieved <10 Ohms
And gear Entreq'd via Silver Tellus, 9 Apollos, Silver Cleanus, Olympus Minimus
The dedicated lines have been a TOTAL triumph, I will NEVER go back to any conditioner or mains filter (having prev owned Russ Andrews gear and Burmester 948)
Together w the balanced transformer, bass heft is truly maxxed, noise flr truly subterranean, no compromise in air and dynamics (these latter two being the main areas my prev conditioners failed on)

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
SC, you my friend are a true pioneer
I salute you
My engineer wanted to reduce impedance to nr zero by installing SIX 6' spaced 10' copper rods along the water we border on to
I'm afraid this was one step TOO far LOL
Settled on: feed to dedicated audio room split before feed to property>18mm copper SWA cbl direct to dedicated consumer unit for system>Oyaide to 8kVA Westwick balanced pwr transformer (UK and European equivalent of EquiTech)>Oyaide back to consumer unit>six Oyaides to six Furutech duplexes
Final impedance achieved <10 Ohms
And gear Entreq'd via Silver Tellus, 9 Apollos, Silver Cleanus, Olympus Minimus
The dedicated lines have been a TOTAL triumph, I will NEVER go back to any conditioner or mains filter (having prev owned Russ Andrews gear and Burmester 948)
Together w the balanced transformer, bass heft is truly maxxed, noise flr truly subterranean, no compromise in air and dynamics (these latter two being the main areas my prev conditioners failed on)

Thank you...I forgot to mention the Furutech 105 NCF outlets and cover plates as well (just installed).

You have one hell of a setup as well! Well Done!!!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
SC, I'd have been open to the idea of grounding my transformer, but six 10' deep rods over a 36' span, digging up the whole garden-water frontage (we live in a converted 1861 Victorian chapel w 15' garden frontage into a creek) was the only upgrade idea that filled me w dread, consultancy costs and more construction in addition to my frayed bank balance and mental health from the ongoing chapel restoration

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
+1 No conditioning.....

In every house I've had, always had 3 dedicated lines, one for each amp and the other for sources. Never had grounding issues.

Even when you lived in Holliston where the power was bad?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's tough when so many conditioners either don't work for your system, or make your system reveal it's weaknesses. I won't run without one, but I understand WHY people are weary of them.

Dedicated line + power conditioner is best. However if you have too much equipment you may need multiple of each.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

Wow,...that's incredible. I have friends in Holliston and elsewhere in MA. from when I used to live there. They all still curse the power company. Upton, Northbridge, Whitinsville, Southbridge, no place in MA. I ever lived had power worth a damn (from an audiophile perspective).

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
SC, I'd have been open to the idea of grounding my transformer, but six 10' deep rods over a 36' span, digging up the whole garden-water frontage (we live in a converted 1861 Victorian chapel w 15' garden frontage into a creek) was the only upgrade idea that filled me w dread, consultancy costs and more construction in addition to my frayed bank balance and mental health from the ongoing chapel restoration ??

Sounds like one very beauitful location and cool home setup! I agree with you,...no way I'd go after a project with six ground rounds over that span by the creek; someone obviously had dollar signs in their eyes when they dreamt that up and quoted it to you!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ha SC, you may be right
Thankfully the pwr set up, and acoustics critically too, are so stellar this level of complexity has never felt even remotely necessary
Re this thread, I truly believe dedicated lines beats conditioner or filter hands down
And a big vote for balanced pwr

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Ha SC, you may be right
Thankfully the pwr set up, and acoustics critically too, are so stellar this level of complexity has never felt even remotely necessary
Re this thread, I truly believe dedicated lines beats conditioner or filter hands down
And a big vote for balanced pwr

You can't make a blanket statement like that. Also, the choice between dedicated lines and conditioning is a false dichotomy, you can do both. You can also do conditioning, surge protection and balanced power for multiple lines.

The need for power conditioning depends on your local power quality, sometimes it might be mandatory for decent results. I've certainly seen that at audio shows, power is often unacceptable without conditioning.

I'll also echo what Folsom said, there are so many poor power distributors/conditioners everyone is wary of them, but a good conditioner ALWAYS makes an improvement. Those who claim no need often have no idea, as you often don't realize you have noise until it's gone and magically "veils are lifted" you never knew existed.

Clean, unrestricted AC power is key for decent results and the best way to achieve that depends on your system and local power situation. There's no best way for every circumstance.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Dave, just based on my experience
I am tempted to see how the Entreq Powerus might fare here
It's a passive filter, that is best suited to source components and linestages, and leave unadulterated power for my 211s monos and subs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing