Preamp Suggestions

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Took you a while to realize you turned out right

Nooooo, merely comfortable in that knowledge ;)

In all seriousness your experiences with this piece of equipment does rather reinforce the tenant that a less than stellar demo of a piece of equipment, in a unfamiliar system, may not always form a true and accurate reflection of its capabilities.

With regard to the slight hard edge you mention, that might well be exacerbated by an impedance miss match or hook up wire however what you describe is IMHO a sonic trait of the factory supplied Sovtek 6550.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nooooo, merely comfortable in that knowledge ;)

In all seriousness your experiences with this piece of equipment does rather reinforce the tenant that a less than stellar demo of a piece of equipment, in a unfamiliar system, may not always form a true and accurate reflection of its capabilities.

With regard to the slight hard edge you mention, that might well be exacerbated by an impedance miss match or hook up wire however what you describe is IMHO a sonic trait of the factory supplied Sovtek 6550.

How do you know it wasn't an accurate representation with the stock valves? Also yes, I would like to demo it with a SET amp as well as with an analog source. So yes, once I find an interesting piece of gear I do follow it around.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
How do you know it wasn't an accurate representation with the stock valves? Also yes, I would like to demo it with a SET amp as well as with an analog source. So yes, once I find an interesting piece of gear I do follow it around.

Due to Several hours experience with and without the stock Sovtek 6550, I didn't need to be there.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Due to Several hours expearieriance with and without the stock Sovtek 6550, I didn't need to be there.

Sorry I am not understanding. Are you saying this was an accurate representation of Sovtek, but not of the capability of what can be done by changing the Sovtek? So.the Sovtek is hard sounding on vocals? Changing that, would still retain the massive stage, bass, and slam? And details?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Sorry I am not understanding. Are you saying this was an accurate representation of Sovtek, but not of the capability of what can be done by changing the Sovtek? So.the Sovtek is hard sounding on vocals? Changing that, would still retain the massive stage, bass, and slam? And details?

Indeed, IMHO utilizing NOS GE 6550A or 70's gray plate TungSol the stage and base impact remain hugely impressive whilst imaging, separation, tone and texture are all markedly enhanced, I find the stock Sovtek 'glassy' and 2.5 D by comparison.

As an aside, since you are well versed in the black art of 'Mooking' you will appreciate just what they bring to the mix of an already impressive piece of equipment.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Indeed, IMHO utilizing NOS GE 6550A or 70's gray plate TungSol the stage and base impact remain hugely impressive whilst imaging, separation, tone and texture are all markedly enhanced, I find the stock Sovtek 'glassy' and 2.5 D by comparison.

As an aside, since you are well versed in the black art of 'Mooking' you will appreciate just what they bring to the mix of an already impressive piece of equipment.

Ok, another mentioned that GE were soft and to go Sovtek but NOS, not stock. Have you tried the NOS?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Ok, another mentioned that GE were soft and to go Sovtek but NOS, not stock. Have you tried the NOS?

Yes, I rolled pretty much every 6550 going in my previous ARC REF5se except the Chinese production STD/TAD, the best IMHO of the later production valves being older production St Petersburg winged =C= very good indeed however they are unfortunately increasingly difficult to source.

70's production Sylvania were good, very early 60's TungSol solid grey plates were excellent whilst I found late 50's TS Black plates fabulously liquid and 3D on vocals however not linear enough on large scale classical.

Overall, for my part, I find the GE's have drawn the best all round performance out of the ARC pre's I have owned.

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Preamps! One of my fave topics. How much are you looking to improve the sound vs change the sound? For example, going up the chain in Pass will retain the same 'flavor' of your overall sound while going to the Ref 6 will change it to a different flavor.

x2. Completely depends on your preference. Any other comments are superfluous comparing one to another in random systems and random rooms with random music samples and random ears.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
audio consulting

Subscribing! (as I have the same speakers)

What about that Bespoke passive? Is it worth its price, or is it just like the ones from Music First/Townshend?

If passive, then go with Audio Consulting straight away. The venerable silver rock TVA is not only in my opinion the reference against which Active stages have to be heard (Of course if impedance matching solved)

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
ypisilon its great but do not know which power amp will suit I am using ayre monos MXR and not very happy

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Have you considered a top passive? I realise you need a phono but you could keep the ARC for that. If the impedance on your DAC is lowish a passive could outperform an active in my opinion, as long as your interconnects are not too long. I have had a few active pre-amplifiers inc tubed, but the passive beats them all. more transparency and speed, less bloat or overhang. And before anyone asks, my passive has gobs of bass and extension. That would leave 10K? for a holiday or something else in your system....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing