Preamp Suggestions

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
So I've been kicking around the idea in my head of a new preamp, and with Axpona just around the corner I figured it would be a good time to get some idea's of what to look into. I'm hoping you all can help fill in some candidates for me to have a look at :).

Current preamp is a Pass XP20, which is between my Pass XA100.5's and a ARC Ref2SE for analog and dCS Rossini for digital. Speakers are Magico S3's

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the XP20, as its been in my system while everything else was upgraded around it.

Requirements are:
1. must have at least 2 sets of XLR inputs and 1 set of XLR outputs
2. budget is ~$15K (yes, will consider used options in budget)
3. Sound preference is "Neutral" for the preamp. Tubes are OK.

So far the list I have started is:
Pass XP30
ARC Ref 6

Any additional recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jimmy

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
So I've been kicking around the idea in my head of a new preamp, and with Axpona just around the corner I figured it would be a good time to get some idea's of what to look into. I'm hoping you all can help fill in some candidates for me to have a look at :).

Current preamp is a Pass XP20, which is between my Pass XA100.5's and a ARC Ref2SE for analog and dCS Rossini for digital. Speakers are Magico S3's

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the XP20, as its been in my system while everything else was upgraded around it.

Requirements are:

Pass XP30
ARC Ref 6

Cheers,
Jimmy

Preamps! One of my fave topics. How much are you looking to improve the sound vs change the sound? For example, going up the chain in Pass will retain the same 'flavor' of your overall sound while going to the Ref 6 will change it to a different flavor.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
EAR 912 would match your criteria (and may even allow you to dump your phono stage)

I think tubes would be a good move with your speakers and digital setup.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

Requirements are:

Pass XP30
ARC Ref 6

Cheers,
Jimmy

Audio Note M8, or Audio Note Kit The Mentor if budget tighter. Or look to Areas Cerat.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'd definitely go with the XP-30. I've been using one for a few years and wouldn't trade it for anything.. (except maybe the newer XS.. ). It's old enough now you could probably get it for $8-9k..

Just looked on A-gon. Madfloyd has his XS forsale at $17k now. If you can stretch your budget, I'd certainly go for that one!!!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I had an XP30, an Xs Pre and now have an ARC Ref10. My first choice would be the Ref 10 and there is one listed for $17K on Audiogon, but unfortunately it's in Amsterdam. I wouldn't touch it for that reason but that's me. The other great choice is Mad Floyd's Xs at an incredible price. You'd be foolish not to jump on it. I like the XP30 but the Xs is far superior. Again, my opinion.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Requirements are:

Pass XP30
ARC Ref 6

Cheers,
Jimmy

These are very different sound of preamps. There could easily be a few audiophiles who like one and not the other, as they are dissimilar. So advise would mean little, except for synergy, which points to Pass. Check with Madfloyd, he knows this amp and preamps well.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Preamps! One of my fave topics. How much are you looking to improve the sound vs change the sound? For example, going up the chain in Pass will retain the same 'flavor' of your overall sound while going to the Ref 6 will change it to a different flavor.

Good question..... The XP20 has seen 3 sets of speakers, 3 DACs, two turntable setups, and the xa30.5 and xa60.5's. So the original thought was to determine if an improvement can be made over the current preamp.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
These are very different sound of preamps. There could easily be a few audiophiles who like one and not the other, as they are dissimilar. So advise would mean little, except for synergy, which points to Pass. Check with Madfloyd, he knows this amp and preamps well.

Thanks. I will be able to home audition the Pass and ARC offerings, which will help learn of the differences in my own system.

The original question was intended to ask for help to form a list of possibilities to explore during Axpona (I can't keep up with all the options out there). This way I can get an initial listen and speak with the local dealer about a possible home audition if I like what I hear.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Highly recommend Mark at Reno High-fi if you are in the market for used Pass amps/preamps. I've had nothing but stellar interactions for everything Pass/First Watt.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Subscribing! (as I have the same speakers)

What about that Bespoke passive? Is it worth its price, or is it just like the ones from Music First/Townshend?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had an XP30, an Xs Pre and now have an ARC Ref10. My first choice would be the Ref 10 and there is one listed for $17K on Audiogon, but unfortunately it's in Amsterdam. I wouldn't touch it for that reason but that's me. The other great choice is Mad Floyd's Xs at an incredible price. You'd be foolish not to jump on it. I like the XP30 but the Xs is far superior. Again, my opinion.

+1 on this.

Having compared the Ref 10 with the older Dartzeel model and Ypsilon PST mk 1, into the constellation insipid amp, the Ref 10 was clearly ahead. The Ypsilon and Dart were equal into the dart amp and Ypsilon edged ahead on the constellation, but the ARC was another league. With the external power supply and whatever they have done, it is now more resolving unlike the lower models. And like Roy Gregory says on his review, it is muscle, loud, big. The orchestra expands and rises and falls much better. Speakers were Alexias and source was the Lampi.

So now this is my favorite pre even with the stock tubes. I can imagine it will only get better with Harlequin's tube rolls.

The one thing was that some vocals were sounding hard, no idea why, and maybe that can be treated by cables etc or amp matching.

Bottom end and slam was fantastic. Soundstage was way larger.

So AR ref 40 used is the way to go

Based on Roy Gregory's report will like to compare to VTL 7.5 Mk II. I have no experience with the Audionote M6+ series which is considered pretty good.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Any inputs on the Soulution 520? I've seen a few used ones pop up as well and curious on how it would compare.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
The newer VTL 7.5 series is very nice. It's got a lot of the slam and speed of solid state with just a touch of the image space of tubes.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What was insipid about the Constellation amp? And if it was insipid, why were you using it for comparison purposes?

Ah. Autocorrect. I meant inspiration

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
+1 on this.

So now this is my favorite pre even with the stock tubes. I can imagine it will only get better with Harlequin's tube rolls.

The one thing was that some vocals were sounding hard, no idea why, and maybe that can be treated by cables etc or amp matching.

Bottom end and slam was fantastic. Soundstage was way larger..

;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing