Jimmy Page on EQ

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, seems we agree more than disagree!

I can appreciate new music, even though it might not be 100% original. Matter of fact, I seem to enjoy the copycat stuff a lot! There seems to be whole genres that died before reaching a definitive peak, and it's great to see modern bands picking up where the original innovators left off, and creating more good stuff along those lines.
Just to give you an example: Tangerine Dream. A true innovator. But by the 80s, they were as good as gone. But fortunately, by the 90s, a whole new batch of artists/bands picked up where they left off, with the big modular synths and sequencers, and created music very much rooted in that "Berlin School" sound, sometimes adding a personal touch, sometimes not (nothing wrong with that). In the end, the fan wins, as clearly there isn't enough (original) TD music to satisfy, but we have the copycats :)

cheers,
alex

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I agree regarding the Japanese SHM CD's, they are mastered with greater care. If you live in the USA and have only listened to the USA pressed vinyl or CD's you really don't know what Zepplin can sound like. Original UK and German pressings or Classic Records. The latest repressings which were done in Germany at Pallas are pretty good too.

I find that to be the case with most bands that originally would recorded their albums in the UK. The US would almost always have been sent copies of the master tapes (so generation loss is introduced) to cut vinyl from.

caesar

May 30, 2010
compression and normalization.

The drums sound AMAZING on the SHM CDs on my system, with every minute sound and microdynamic expression germinating emotion. I would love to hear those same CDs on your system, as I am sure it would be phenomenal as well.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
The drums sound AMAZING on the SHM CDs on my system, with every minute sound and microdynamic expression germinating emotion. I would love to hear those same CDs on your system, as I am sure it would be phenomenal as well.

Do you mind posting the catalog numbers? Because there are numerous versions of the SHM CDs.

Some are digitally identical to the early 90s versions that Page worked on with George Marino. And some would be based off the CDs that were remastered around 2014, aka the same mastering as the hi-res downloads. I am guessing you have the latter, because the former sound pretty lousy.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Do you mind posting the catalog numbers? Because there are numerous versions of the SHM CDs.

Some are digitally identical to the early 90s versions that Page worked on with George Marino. And some would be based off the CDs that were remastered around 2014, aka the same mastering as the hi-res downloads. I am guessing you have the latter, because the former sound pretty lousy.

It's actually these guys from 2008: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-13142

Catalog No.WPCR-13142 JAN/ISBN4943674083848

My friend bought them when they first came out, but they are long sold out. Beware of the stuff sold online, and if you try to get them, use paypal to protect yourself.

I have heard them against the Atlantic / Swan Song professionally done vinyl rips to 192/ 24, and prefer the SHM version

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
It's actually these guys from 2008: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-13142

Catalog No.WPCR-13142 JAN/ISBN4943674083848

My friend bought them when they first came out, but they are long sold out. Beware of the stuff sold online, and if you try to get them, use paypal to protect yourself.

I have heard them against the Atlantic / Swan Song professionally done vinyl rips to 192/ 24, and prefer the SHM version

IMHO you should compare them with the latest remasters and the 80s CDs if you haven't already. The box you linked is the dreaded Page/Marino remasters I mentioned which were pretty compressed (will bring "details" out) and used noise reduction in several places.

caesar

May 30, 2010
IMHO you should compare them with the latest remasters and the 80s CDs if you haven't already. The box you linked is the dreaded Page/Marino remasters I mentioned which were pretty compressed (will bring "details" out) and used noise reduction in several places.

Respectfully disagree with you on the SHM disks. Was recently listening to them with friends who listen to live music all day, and we both agreed on how much better the SHM CDs are than the new high res downloads

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've heard a few of those SHM-CDs, and every one of them sound "doctored", with lots of EQing. Either more bass or more treble, sometimes both.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Again, everything is EQd and doctored by Page and whomever he was working with. For those who want the best drum sound, hitting dynamics, decays, etc., nothing beats the SHM disks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing