What are the BEST analog systems to assemble for EXPLOSIVE Dynamics and Full-Bodied (non-fat!) tone?

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Thanks, you gave me a lot to think about now. Maybe I should consider a 12" arm instead... Natural sound, greater detail and low frequency extension is indeed interesting. And I'll check out the counterweight sled right away.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
This one is stock from 1982, I remember having it Lingo'd and maybe Trampolin'd too at some point but I liked it better as it was so I had it reversed. At the time I only listened to rock and the slightly goosed pitch of the LP12 was very enjoyable.

david

Interesting that you bring up the goosed pitch on the Linn, I heard a $1.5k Rega that must have been built within the last few years and it exhibited the same thing. Now that you mention it I don't see many acoustic music fans of Rega turntables on other forums. Mostly rock music listeners.

harleyguy

VIP/Donor
Mar 6, 2015
Hi John

This forum probably has the highest number of TechDAS owners in the world. East Coast, West Coast, Europe, Asia. If you plan to make any visits let us know. All in all we are an obliging bunch :) Love the look of the "nude" Triangle Arts by the way. Lucky you to have snagged the prototype. That's a keeper for sure!

and canada

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Interesting that you bring up the goosed pitch on the Linn, I heard a $1.5k Rega that must have been built within the last few years and it exhibited the same thing. Now that you mention it I don't see many acoustic music fans of Rega turntables on other forums. Mostly rock music listeners.
I don't think you can listen to any serious music on a Rega. Never understood their allure, they always sound thin and harsh but I guess it's a good balance with dead, compressed rock recordings. As far as the goosed pitch goes I'm convinced that it's a must with those records.

david

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Five.

- Changed my cleaning regime.
Went completely contact-less.
No brushing during cleaning, and completely contact-less drying.

- Stick sorely to using tap water.

- Refreshing power supply feeding the motor.

- Using low capacitance phono cable.

- in some cases, listener might notice very drastic change simply by changing the directionality of the ground cable.

Totally transformed the sound.
Same table, same record, totally different sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has the OP checked with Peter B and Jonathan Valin?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Has the OP checked with Peter B and Jonathan Valin?

No, I have no idea what the "Great" Peter Breuninger is up to. I have not seen him on this site for a few years. He was hot on Kronos back then, and I have been to busy to check for his latest recommendations on youtube.

Valin likes the Walker on the high end, and recently he has been marketing some 2 ton German table; obviously not marketing it hard enough, as I don't recall the brand. Acoustic Signature or Acoustic Sounds or Acoustical Surroundings maybe??? Valin has also been marketing the AMG $15K table the last few years. I have heard it a number of times, and it is really fabulous on girly vocals and small scale stuff (like the Raidho speakers Valin also occasionally markets). But like the Quad, AMG lacks the explosiveness and testicular drive, and, in effect, is the opposite of what I would like - as Led Zeppelin sounds like a bunch of pussies on the AMG.

I think Greg Baron sells Clear Audio, according to his site.... I think Valin has always hated Clear Audio because it was Harry Pearson's reference turntable...

My preference is to crowd source the opinions from a variety of independent sources rather relying on people who have incentives to push certain brands...

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, I really appreciate the replies. From what I have gathered, Lyra is the recommended cartridge. However, in my experiences, I have always found the Lyra analytical sounding. Is there another option?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Gentlemen, I really appreciate the replies. From what I have gathered, Lyra is the recommended cartridge. However, in my experiences, I have always found the Lyra analytical sounding. Is there another option?

I think my MSL Signature Gold is pretty good at explosive dynamics and full bodied tone. I slightly prefer it to my AirTight Supreme in these two specific areas, in addition to low and high extension, but I have not listened to my Supreme in about a year.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

The latest generation of Lyra has added meat to the bones starting with the Atlas a few years ago. It might be time for a new listen. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Cesar, do consider the Soundsmith Straingauge
It pulls off a great balance of linearity and natural warmth
Requires v careful setup esp re azimuth and necessity to use better outbd psus than the ones provided by P Lederman (I'm going bespoke true dual mono linear psus to replace the stock switching supplies)
It also has the massive advantage of being a great mono cart as well
So actually saves money 3 ways
At c$7k it's cheaper than some of the top competition
It doesn't require a phono
It obviates the need for second arm/mono cart
What's not to like?
A great synergy w my Trans Fi Audio Salvation rim drive tt and Trans Fi Audio Terminator T3Pro air bearing linear tracking tonearm
W the Straingauge $12-15k
Will be maxxing out w active or passive isoln next

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing