McIntosh C48, Internal DAC, and External DSD Digital Source

Projectman

Mar 18, 2017
Sarasota, FL
www.projectsteps.com
I have my C48 connected to a Sony HAP-Z1 and outputting DSD (DOP) over a USB connection. When I try to play a DSD 64 or 128 file the C48 goes silent. It works fine when I play wav and FLAC files.

I have had my Sony HAP connected to an Auralic Vega and had no problems with any DSD file. Of course I use the balanced outputs to the C48.

My question is McIntosh's website only discusses processing DSD files using a Mac/PC via Jriver, is this the only way I can use the internal DAC on the C48 for DSD files? Is anyone else streaming DSD files via USB to the C48 using a device other than a Mac or PC?

The C48 is on firmware 2.10

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
This preamp's built in DAC can only play PCM files, up to 24bit/192kHz. Anything over that, including DSD files, has to be downconverted for playback.

For native DSD playback you need to get C52.

Projectman

Mar 18, 2017
Sarasota, FL
www.projectsteps.com
This preamp's built in DAC can only play PCM files, up to 24bit/192kHz. Anything over that, including DSD files, has to be downconverted for playback.

For native DSD playback you need to get C52.

According to this excerpt from a document on McIntosh's website to help setup your PC/Apple computer running JRiver software the C48 can process DSD-DXD files.

" Purpose of this Document: To add the capability of playing DSD-DXD file types over McIntosh 32/192 USB 2.0 DACs as used in C48, C50, C2500, D100, MHA100, MXA70, MA5200, MAC6700, MA6700, MA7900, MA800..."

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
As has been pointed out, the C48 cannot handle DSD at all and any DSD files need to be converted (either in bulk or on-the-fly) to PCM at no more than 24/192. PCs/Macs using JRiver or other music programs can do this. I do not know if the Sony HAP-Z1 can be configured to do this.

Projectman

Mar 18, 2017
Sarasota, FL
www.projectsteps.com
The C48 can absolutely handle DSD, but I guess it depends on the source and whether the C48 is USB2 compliant. Jriver outputs DSD to the C48 which means the C48 can process a DSD stream as McIntosh states. My assumption is the C48 isn't USB2 compliant which means it could accept a DSD stream from any device via the USB port. My understanding is if the C48 isn't USB2 compliant than it can only accept a DSD stream from a MAC/PC/LINUX as they have the proper drivers.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
C48 DOES NOT accept native DSD and neither does C50, C2500, D100, MHA100, MXA70, MA5200, MAC6700, MA6700, MA7900, MA8000.

The aftermentioned components can 'play' DSD files ONLY AFTER the DSD is externally decoded to PCM 24/192kHz (max) stream. This is not native DSD playback and will not work with components that lack DSD to PCM processing feature.

Projectman

Mar 18, 2017
Sarasota, FL
www.projectsteps.com
Thanks for the clarification. I obviously was wrong. The documentation on McIntosh's website confused me. I didn't realize that the JRiver application was converting the DSD to PCM. I understand now. I currently have an Auralic Vega between the SONY HAP and the C48 and I was hoping to sell the Vega and recoup some money by going straight from the Sony HAP to the C48. I have a few hundred DSD files so I guess I will have to keep the Auralic for the time being or think about converting my DSD files to .flac.

Again, thanks for having the patience to put up with my ignorance. I wished I would have done more research before buying the C48. Thank goodness I bought it used for a pretty good price.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
You may sell the C48 and Vega, and get the C52 instead.

Projectman

Mar 18, 2017
Sarasota, FL
www.projectsteps.com
You may sell the C48 and Vega, and get the C52 instead.

A little out of my budget. Probably consider the C47 instead since it has the same DAC as the C52

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
bump, i bought a c49 today and i cant get anything out of the usb input. roon nucleus has all the necessary software to 'see the dac, but it don't. any suggestions would be great.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I guess after 6 years it was a stretch to hope for suggestions

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing