EQ Problem with Studer A087

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
I have an unusual (to me) problem with one of my Studer A807 decks. On both the 3.75" and 15" speed the mid range has dropped out. I get a flat response for, 32Hz-1KHz and 10KHz to 20KHz, but the mid frequencies are around -8db. The 7.5" EQ looks great. I've tried two different MRL tapes and two different head blocks, but the results are consistent. This happened all of the sudden. This machine doesn't have options to choose either NAB or CCIR. Any ideas what might be happening?

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Going from memory here as I sold my machines and the manuals. Is the midrange "dropout" on BOTH channels? There is a repro card for each channel and on each card, the EQ circuits are selected by FET switches. SO if the problem is on both channels, then I'd opine that the problem is "upstream" in the logic that selects (and sends) the EQ information to the repro cards. If the problem is on one channel only, the problem could be in its EQ card's switching circuitry.

Charles

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
Going from memory here as I sold my machines and the manuals. Is the midrange "dropout" on BOTH channels? There is a repro card for each channel and on each card, the EQ circuits are selected by FET switches. SO if the problem is on both channels, then I'd opine that the problem is "upstream" in the logic that selects (and sends) the EQ information to the repro cards. If the problem is on one channel only, the problem could be in its EQ card's switching circuitry.

Charles

Yes, I had already found the switch, but as you say this is for each and I see it on both. It could be the up-stream signal isn't switching these so they're set at a default. Doesn't hurt to look.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing