Thread: Advice for a new sub

Advice for a new sub

Hi first time poster...

I am looking to add a sub to my speaker and amp setup I have currently, and hoping for advice on which to look into more. Im looking for a little extra boom at the lower end for my movies while not sacrificing quality while listening to my vinyls. My room is about 13x20.

Current setup is TT>Rega Brio>Dynaudio Emit

Trying to decide between:

REL T5
    SVS SB-2000
    Velodyne impact 12"
    BK xxls400

Are there others I should look at? Which are the favorites of the above? Anything else I'm missing? I need something that will be ok with my Rega (power, speaker line, etc)

Thanks

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Look no further than JL Audio. I'm installing 2 of them in my room now.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Rythmik subs (servo/sealed) would be a great contender for your consideration. I'll also be installing two in my room within the next couple of months. I just so happen to be a big fan of servo subs.

Oh, my manners. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Thank you Bruce and Tom, I will take a look

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    I've heard these- definitely worth considering.

BruceD

http://wilson-benesch.com/products/t...generator.html

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

I own a Rel T5, it's an excellent sub...particularly if you upgrade the connecting cable. However, I think in a room of your size, matching the size of the sub and its ability is crucial. The Rel T5 would be a little too small for that space, imho. Better to consider one of the slightly larger Rel models.

I would also look at SVS .. buy 2 ...
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . DIRAC...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Either of these (Click on the sub names to go to the Seaton Forum to see them):

Seaton F18's I have 4 of these (not 6 as in the photo), 2 in each of the front two corners, all driven by a single 4000 watt integrated amp in a Master/Slave configuration. Other amp/speaker configurations are possible.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 8.41.50 AM.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  36.3 KB

Seaton SubMersive. I have two of these, also driven by a single 4000 watt amp in a Master/Slave configuration. These are dual opposed 15's

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 8.49.10 AM.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  23.5 KB

I won't say they are the best subs available but having heard (and owned) many (including some mentioned above), they are the best I have ever heard.
    “Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me” - Gordon Holt

I had a SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB16 Ultra, SVS PB200, Martin Logan Depth I, and JL Audio F110 v2. In the context of my system/room the F110 v2 has tight articulate bass and the most musical bass to my ears. In my opinion its not even close.