Thread: Advice for a new sub

Advice for a new sub

Hi first time poster...

I am looking to add a sub to my speaker and amp setup I have currently, and hoping for advice on which to look into more. Im looking for a little extra boom at the lower end for my movies while not sacrificing quality while listening to my vinyls. My room is about 13x20.

Current setup is TT>Rega Brio>Dynaudio Emit

Trying to decide between:

REL T5
    SVS SB-2000
    Velodyne impact 12"
    BK xxls400

Are there others I should look at? Which are the favorites of the above? Anything else I'm missing? I need something that will be ok with my Rega (power, speaker line, etc)

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Seattle, WA
    Look no further than JL Audio. I'm installing 2 of them in my room now.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
    Rythmik subs (servo/sealed) would be a great contender for your consideration. I'll also be installing two in my room within the next couple of months. I just so happen to be a big fan of servo subs.

Oh, my manners. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum.

In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Thank you Bruce and Tom, I will take a look

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    I've heard these- definitely worth considering.

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    Furutech Dealer

La Jolla, Calif USA
    I own a Rel T5, it's an excellent sub...particularly if you upgrade the connecting cable. However, I think in a room of your size, matching the size of the sub and its ability is crucial. The Rel T5 would be a little too small for that space, imho. Better to consider one of the slightly larger Rel models.

Cape Town South Africa
    I would also look at SVS .. buy 2 ...
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . Trinnov ST2 room correction...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
    Either of these (Click on the sub names to go to the Seaton Forum to see them):

Seaton F18's I have 4 of these (not 6 as in the photo), 2 in each of the front two corners, all driven by a single 4000 watt integrated amp in a Master/Slave configuration. Other amp/speaker configurations are possible.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 8.41.50 AM.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  36.3 KB

Seaton SubMersive. I have two of these, also driven by a single 4000 watt amp in a Master/Slave configuration. These are dual opposed 15's

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 8.49.10 AM.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  23.5 KB

I won't say they are the best subs available but having heard (and owned) many (including some mentioned above), they are the best I have ever heard.
    "Iíve read the last page of the Bible, itís all going to turn out all right." Billy Graham

My System

I had a SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB16 Ultra, SVS PB200, Martin Logan Depth I, and JL Audio F110 v2. In the context of my system/room the F110 v2 has tight articulate bass and the most musical bass to my ears. In my opinion its not even close.