High Bandwidth Amplifiers

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks...why do they design for 350khz if its higher than need be?
It is an engineering challenge (so engineers like to brag about it when they accomplish it) and a marketing figure of merit.

What comes before the amp and after it severely limit bandwidth. Here is a sample spectrum from a Reference Recording Highres file I generated for another topic on ASR Forum today:

No usable information above 30 Khz.

With SACD/DSD it is actually a demerit to have such high bandwidth as it uses noise shaping to push garbage (quantization noise) above hearing range:

Pushing that ultrasonic noise into speakers is likely not a wise thing to do especially since you can't hear how loud it might be.

It is a figure I personally ignore. :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think you mean Mega hertz (MHz). I don't know of any audio amps that go into the GHz range.

Sorry, a typo. Amps barely reach a few MHz ... not to mention 1GHz (1000MHz)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for taking the time. As an RBCD player, all set for me in any event!
It is an engineering challenge (so engineers like to brag about it when they accomplish it) and a marketing figure of merit.

What comes before the amp and after it severely limit bandwidth. Here is a sample spectrum from a Reference Recording Highres file I generated for another topic on ASR Forum today:

No usable information above 30 Khz.

With SACD/DSD it is actually a demerit to have such high bandwidth as it uses noise shaping to push garbage (quantization noise) above hearing range:

Pushing that ultrasonic noise into speakers is likely not a wise thing to do especially since you can't hear how loud it might be.

It is a figure I personally ignore. :)

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Wide banwidth designs have nothing to do with the bandwith of the source material you are gonna use !

You have missed the whole point of those designs.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Levinson 53 can likewise be considered a wide bandwidth amplifier as the output devices are also rapid switchers in step with the 2Mhz power supply albeit the output is filtered if I'm not mistaken at around 100kHz.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Yeh, I got confused thinking the amplifier amplifies what is fed to it. :)

Which is what?
The engineering theory behind wide bandwidth designs is most commonly that for an amplifier to maintain proper phase response within the audible frequency range requires it to have a frequency bandwidth well beyond the range of human hearing. I'm not going to engage in any arguments about the validity of such a theory or the required bandwidth required to achieve proper phase response, but am just trying to address your question about the reason for such designs. Hope this helps!

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm
Norma makes fantastic - and more affordable than most on this level - amplifiers that really deserves more attention.

/ Marcus

As owner of a Norma Revo IPA-140 couldn't agree more. It's a properly engineered product, not sure its qualities is directly related to its wide bandwidth.

gryphongryph

Oct 12, 2017
Lars, can I ask what speakers you use with your amp?
Have been thinking about this amp to use with my Graham Audio LS 5/9.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing