High Bandwidth Amplifiers

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Hello All,

What solid state brands are considered high bandwidth(Besides Spectral) ?In addition, what exactly does that mean to me as a listener ? It's probably a loaded question but, I want to make sure I'm comparing like products.

For example, it is my understanding that the design of Spectral, Dartzeel, Audionet and Soulution are all high-bandwidth designs whereas my Pass amplifier is not.

Thanks

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
High-bandwidth would be those that extend into MHz range. They are fast and usually use lots of negative feedback.

Another example of high-bandwidth design is Goldmund.

darTZeel is not a high-bandwidth design.

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hello All,

What solid state brands are considered high bandwidth(Besides Spectral) ?In addition, what exactly does that mean to me as a listener ? It's probably a loaded question but, I want to make sure I'm comparing like products.

For example, it is my understanding that the design of Spectral, Dartzeel, Audionet and Soulution are all high-bandwidth designs whereas my Pass amplifier is not.

Thanks

Your correct

Soulution is high bandwidth with a lot of feedback
Spectral I believe also

The issue is stability due to oscillation

Goldmund aim to have minimum phase shift, which is only achievable by high speed and bandwidth

Many of the things done to stabilise the amplifier have a habit of killing either the speed, or phase accuracy in order to make it stable

So it's a real balancing act, or very very complicated

Goldmund went down the balancing act route to avoid pitfalls, but requires highly matched transistors

Soulution use a very fast and complicated implementation .....3000 parts anyone

Of course if your pre isn't as fast well you just added a low pass filter to the situation

I don't know much about the spectral as they are not readily available out here in Oz

But my understanding is they remove the Zobel network for high bandwidth which means careful cable matching is required

Bakoon is also a high bandwidth design, but uses current rather than voltage with the satri circuit, this also has no Zobel network, and achieves stability via current mirrors which in a way is a form of very fast feedback

However they all sound quite different from each other

Ch precision is said to be a next generation version of the Goldmund, but the truth behind this I cannot verify, though the engineers worked for Goldmund, and Alan Tafffel in his review who owns Goldmund amplifiers as much as said it...

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Your correct

Soulution is high bandwidth with a lot of feedback
Spectral I believe also

The issue is stability due to oscillation

Goldmund aim to have minimum phase shift, which is only achievable by high speed and bandwidth

Many of the things done to stabilise the amplifier have a habit of killing either the speed, or phase accuracy in order to make it stable

So it's a real balancing act, or very very complicated

Goldmund went down the balancing act route to avoid pitfalls, but requires highly matched transistors

Soulution use a very fast and complicated implementation .....3000 parts anyone

Of course if your pre isn't as fast well you just added a low pass filter to the situation

I don't know much about the spectral as they are not readily available out here in Oz

But my understanding is they remove the Zobel network for high bandwidth which means careful cable matching is required

Bakoon is also a high bandwidth design, but uses current rather than voltage with the satri circuit, this also has no Zobel network, and achieves stability via current mirrors which in a way is a form of very fast feedback

However they all sound quite different from each other

Ch precision is said to be a next generation version of the Goldmund, but the truth behind this I cannot verify, though the engineers worked for Goldmund, and Alan Tafffel in his review who owns Goldmund amplifiers as much as said it...

Thanks. That's my understanding as well with Spectral. The design of the amp in turn makes them require MIT cables as a filter pretty much. Without them the amps overheat etc..

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
High bandwidth means that the amplifier is good at amplifying high frequency noise and RFI. Good Engineering Practice suggests that an amp should be low-pass filtered in about the 100 to 300 kHz range.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
High-bandwidth would be those that extend into giga-Hz range. They are fast and usually use lots of negative feedback.

I think you mean Mega hertz (MHz). I don't know of any audio amps that go into the GHz range.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
CH Precision is said to be a wide bandwidth, high slew rate design. You can read about what this means from Raphael Pasche, CH Precision designer, here:
http://www.ch-precision.com/images/reviews/Interview_WB_CHP_English_ME5-16.pdf
Scroll down to page 3 for the answer to your question from CH Precision point of view.

I met the founders of CH once when they were still Anagram Tech. Brilliant engineers but honestly their earlier efforts sonically left something to be desired (although the Anagram digital filter implemented in others' designs was quite good...like Audio Aero). From what I have heard from CH so far it is also not a sound of real music to me.

Reactions: junerpp

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
High-bandwidth would be those that extend into giga-Hz range. They are fast and usually use lots of negative feedback.

I don't know about your definition of "high bandwidth" or "giga Hertz", but darTZeel is a wide bandwidth design indeed.

From here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dartzeel/108.html
"The NHB-108 is rated at 160 watts into four ohms; 100 watts into 8 or 2 ohms. The wide bandwidth design covers 1Hz to 1Mhz +0/-6dB with 1% THD and -- according to darTZeel most importantly -- zero temporal distortion. Internally, close examination shows an amazing attention to detail but for this kind of money, that's expected."

And

"Into resistive loads, the measured small-signal response (fig.1, lower pairs of traces) revealed a very wide bandwidth, with the amplifier's output down by just 1dB at 148kHz. (This behavior was the same in both the Hi and Lo conditions.) As a result, the NHB-108's reproduction of a 10kHz squarewave was superb, with small risetimes and an absence of overshoot and ringing (fig.2)."
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/...er-amplifier-measurements#xjdJI1K8bOkiCRjX.99

Even the preamp is wide bandwidth:
Turning to the preamp's performance in conventional unbalanced mode, the frequency response was perfectly flat within the audioband, with a wide bandwidth. The ultrasonic output was down 1.5dB at 200kHz, with no sign of peaking (fig.4).
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/dartzeel-nhb-18ns-preamplifier-measurements#jvkzEqWvClx8urg7.99

That's one of the hallmarks of darTZeel: high bandwidth, low/no negative feedback, and minimal parts count to keep signal purity. The fact that he's able to have all 3 in his designs is what makes them so good and different, IMHO.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Curious as to what this all means...the Gryphon Colosseum specs say -3db from 0 to 350khz. Is this considered high bandwidth? And what does this mean in practice to us non-techies? Thanks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No, 350 kHz is not one of these super high bandwidth amplifiers, but it's higher than it needs to be.

Thanks...why do they design for 350khz if its higher than need be?

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Some designers believe that in order to achieve excellence in phase linearity the circuit's bandwidth needs to be significantly higher than the range of human hearing. How far beyond that range is where the debate comes in, some demanding the circuit have a bandwidth in the MHz range which is quite a challenge and expensive to implement while maintaining amplifier stability.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Some designers believe that in order to achieve excellence in phase linearity the circuit's bandwidth needs to be significantly higher than the range of human hearing. How far beyond that range is where the debate comes in, some demanding the circuit have a bandwidth in the MHz range which is quite a challenge and expensive to implement while maintaining amplifier stability.

Thanks!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

So for those who advocate such a design, where are the positives of higher bandwidth expected to show the most as compared to a not so wide bandwidth amp? Would it be in tone, dynamics, extension, or all across

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So for those who advocate such a design, where are the positives of higher bandwidth expected to show the most as compared to a not so wide bandwidth amp? Would it be in tone, dynamics, extension, or all across

Most probably it is not the extended bandwidth per se that results in the different type of sound, but the differences are due to secondary effects due to the design needed to implement the high bandwidth. As far as I know different brands of high bandwidth amplifiers sound very different.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Most probably it is not the extended bandwidth per se that results in the different type of sound, but the differences are due to secondary effects due to the design needed to implement the high bandwidth. As far as I know different brands of high bandwidth amplifiers sound very different.

Yes I am not sure what I should infer about the sound from wide bandwidth. The SS amps I know the sound of don't seem to have any correlation

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I would tend to agree with this post, certainly that it would be very difficult to determine which characteristics of an amp's performance are specifically due to its extended bandwidth design or may be attributable to other aspects of its implementation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing