chasingthedragon

Feb 16, 2017
Over the years our Chasing the Dragon record label has probably become best known for producing direct cut LPs. However, with the resurgence of interest in reel to reel tapes, we have been approached by many people asking us to release reel to reel copy master tapes, of our albums.

During each recording session we ran our 1/2" Studer A820 at 30ips creating a master tape. Even though the sessions were recorded direct to the cutting lathe at Air studios, I always had at the back of my mind the thought that one day, making available copy masters to the public, would be very interesting and exciting.

We have now decided to go ahead with this project. The master tapes will be played from my 1/2" Studer A820, onto a 1/4" Studer A80 @ 15ips CCIR, using specially modified electronics at Air Studios here in London.

Obviously in creating the tapes, we would endeavour to maintain the highest quality that we have hopefully become known for. Although this process will take a little time to set up, I thought it may be nice to inform people of our first titles which should appear below.

Thank you everyone for your kind interest and attention, we live in exciting times!

Kind regards

Mike Valentine

CTD-MASTER-TAPES-1.jpg

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
great titles look forward seeing the tapes on the website.
Vivaldi four seasons is one of my favs , I have numerous versions on CD /SACD

chasingthedragon

Feb 16, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update, this is the artwork for 2 of our Chasing The Dragon Copy Master Tapes that are coming soon. One of the tapes will be Binaural, which also sounds great on loudspeakers!

Further details on the website: www.chasingthedragon.co.uk

Kind regards

Mike Valentine

2-tape-aw.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The "Big Band Spectacular" was recorded to a 24trk machine and then mixed down to 2trk. So the tapes would be 3rd/4th generation?

Are you actually using the master tapes for transfer, or a safety master? If something happens to the master, you have nothing!

chasingthedragon

Feb 16, 2017
Dear Bruce,

Each one of our direct cut sessions was recorded separately on to a 1/2 inch machine running at 30 IPS. These recordings were fed with the same stereo output from the desk that fed the cutting lathe. Therefore they have nothing to do with our 24 track mix-down tapes.

Of course we are making a 30IPS 1/2 inch running master for each of our titles and then we will be using my half inch Studer A820 feeding directly into my modified Studer A80R for the best possible quality path.

You may also be interested in the fact that one of our tapes will be of our recent binaural recordings captured in St Martin in the Fields. The concert is called Mozart by Candlelight, and when we compared the binaural recording on loudspeaker to the stereo everyone preferred the binaural recording!

Thank you very much for your kind interest and I hope this provides some clarity.

Kind regards

Mike

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
As Mike knows I was there with my wife at St. Martins during the performance Mike recorded. I have the stereo download and it sounds superb. I may have to try the binaural one too. You should have a buy one get one free sale Mike! Next on my list to get is the Clare Teal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing