Thoughts on silver v copper tonearm cables

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any opinions on this?
Currently running 60cm point to point silver 4N awg tonearm wire direct from my cart to phono
However, I need a longer run of 150cm to reposition my phono to allow use of Minus K BM-8 under my tt
Unfortunately my tt guy cannot source a longer length of the silver, the only other alternative being unshielded copper Litz
I am aware there will be sound quality differences on any move silver to copper
Just not sure what they might be
Anyone know?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Any opinions on this?
Currently running 60cm point to point silver 4N awg tonearm wire direct from my cart to phono
However, I need a longer run of 150cm to reposition my phono to allow use of Minus K BM-8 under my tt
Unfortunately my tt guy cannot source a longer length of the silver, the only other alternative being unshielded copper Litz
I am aware there will be sound quality differences on any move silver to copper
Just not sure what they might be
Anyone know?

While I don't like all copper wires I never liked any silver cables, aside from the conductor design matters greatly too...

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hah David!
Nothing like disliking it all LOL
I've had word that 150cm of unshielded copper wire is asking for trouble
And copper likely softer/warmer than silver, and in my system balance w SETs and tonally full, dense Zus, I'm maybe best sticking w silver
Will need to trial the 24" wide Minus K to keep my phono immed to side of tt and retain my minimal length 60cm tonearm wire

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Try the Nordost phono cables. I think they are truly excellent. As to internal tonearm cabling, I still like the Van Den Hul copper. Silver vs Copper..I believe it's all a personal taste, no wrong answers.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Try the Nordost phono cables. I think they are truly excellent. As to internal tonearm cabling, I still like the Van Den Hul copper. Silver vs Copper..I believe it's all a personal taste, no wrong answers.

I believe so too....it's a question of taste. I'm personally not a fan of pure silver cabling anywhere in the chain.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Silver has to be 5N+ or UPOCC in order to avoid adding harshness and accentuating leading edges. I'd bet the copper litz will be better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing