Physics girl

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Fascinating. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I've never heard of her. I watched the video on her web page. She has a definite motor weakness of her right upper extremity. She is much more animate with her left hand. When she does move her right arm she use her left hand to support her right hand. She tries to and does hide it well but watch the video. I wonder what it's due to.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
ack, I'm just exploring her right now...she looks good, bright, distinguished ...

I don't like the comments from the first link, @ the bottom of that article. It just don't fit; they should eliminate ignorant comments because they are personal, not on the content. That's the trouble with this world. But not really; it's up to each one of us to simply ignore people making personal comments on others, like the police, the FBI, the CIA, some judges, some lawyers, etc., ignore them, and be free to express our opinion on the content, and not the person(s).

I will check her out in greater depth...thanks. I like her a lot so far; she fits my chords (scientific/physics coordinates), food for the brain's development.
_________

Off topic: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/09/world/robin-camp-rape-comments-judge-resigns-trnd/index.html

...Just to emphasize the point I was making regarding comments that are personal and abusive. Some people like to play chiefs of justice, CIA agents, the police, ... and it just don't work.
This judge is the perfect example, and he's not alone.

All right...back to Sabrina Pasterski's studies.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks for posting....wonderful!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The hard physical sciences (mostly physics, astronomy and we can include engineering) have traditionally had a dearth of women compared to men. When I was in college, my undergraduate thesis advisor (a wunderkind of sorts - entered Harvard at 16 and completed his PhD at 22) boasted that he had dated one-third of the women in his parallel class at MIT and married one-ninth of them. Astronomy used to attract a higher percentage of women majors than physics. Not sure engineering in those days (early mid-60's). Harvard didn't have an engineering major then. IIRC we had two women out of nine total majors. However, in my applied differential equations course, there were about 125 in the class (including some grad students who were taking it as a refresher class) and only one woman. She was a physics major who ended up getting a PhD in astronomy.

Total, the situation has improved, with more female majors in the hard sciences and more PhD's. One of our friends was the first female chair of the Physics department at Berkeley (another women succeeded her), about ten years ago and we've had a female chair in the Berkeley astronomy department. But for a long time, if I were with a few of my grad school classmates, we could name just about every woman PhD in astronomy in the country.

Medicine and Law weren't quite like that, although my wife was one of only two women in her med school class at Stanford ('73). Today both medicine and law typically have classes that are half women. So it would be unlikely to have a story about a woman medical student, similar to Sabrina's story.

Stereotypes are hard to overcome - and role models are important. Certainly, it has taken time for faculty to overcome their own stereotypes - often, not until they retire or die (or resign!).

Larry

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What a brilliant mind though. The video also showed her as almost shy and a bit introverted. No cell phone, no face book, Linkedin etc.

My wife just said something really interesting... isn't it exciting to be living 6 miles away from the next Einstein, with the real possibility of running into her! We wish her health and success!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think I prefer a woman that I can fool at least once in a while.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing