Bass traps. Advice wanted.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
ayreman, between ASC & RPG you have two of the best companies recommended to you. DEQX & DIRAC seem to be the most popular in digital EQ but be aware that there's a fairly extensive learning curve to become proficient with this software. ASC & RPG both have great customer support and can guide it with your installation.

david

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Since you appear to be using an "ultra high end PC" as your source, why not use Dirac Live for DRC, in conjunction with bass traps. I personally build my own corner traps and use Dirac as well, with good results.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
ayreman, between ASC & RPG you have two of the best companies recommended to you. DEQX & DIRAC seem to be the most popular in digital EQ but be aware that there's a fairly extensive learning curve to become proficient with this software. ASC & RPG both have great customer support and can guide it with your installation.

david

Dirac is actually pretty easy to use - no major learning curve in my experience.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dirac is actually pretty easy to use - no major learning curve in my experience.

Yes, to move a few points up & down on a graph doesn't take much but to actually become proficient? A different story.

david

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
EQ works well in the response which is minimum phase. However, even if the 69 Hz resonance should be minimum phase behavior using only EQ is a compromise compared to remove it with physical treatment. With acoustic treatment you don't loose any dynamics.

The important thing is to first move out from the peak as much as possible, then treat the pressure points with effective treatment. A large resonance at 69-70 Hz normally requires a minimum of 2-4 bass traps. Every small room though, really needs bass trapping in a wider frequency area for the very best result.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Yes, I do have space constraints. My room is small, but all corners are available and currently unoccupied. That's why I started by considering placing ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps in the available corners. Problem is they cost an arm and a leg. So, before shelling out, I better be damn sure I'm really buying the best there is.

U can try to DIY basstrap with Ecophon or u may DIY SMT bass trap - this really works

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
IMHO, the Real Traps Mondo Traps do a great job!
I have 5 mondo & 4 mini realtraps in my room. Used to have 40-60 hz bass hump. After moving the realtraps ard eventually I ended up with 4 mini along the junctions of the ceiling / side walls & it seems to tame the bass issue. Maybe too much !!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing