Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bass traps. Advice wanted.

ayreman, between ASC & RPG you have two of the best companies recommended to you. DEQX & DIRAC seem to be the most popular in digital EQ but be aware that there's a fairly extensive learning curve to become proficient with this software. ASC & RPG both have great customer support and can guide it with your installation.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

[WBF Founding Member]
    Since you appear to be using an "ultra high end PC" as your source, why not use Dirac Live for DRC, in conjunction with bass traps. I personally build my own corner traps and use Dirac as well, with good results.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    ayreman, between ASC & RPG you have two of the best companies recommended to you. DEQX & DIRAC seem to be the most popular in digital EQ but be aware that there's a fairly extensive learning curve to become proficient with this software. ASC & RPG both have great customer support and can guide it with your installation.

david
    Dirac is actually pretty easy to use - no major learning curve in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by edorr View Post
    Dirac is actually pretty easy to use - no major learning curve in my experience.
    Yes, to move a few points up & down on a graph doesn't take much but to actually become proficient? A different story.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

EQ works well in the response which is minimum phase. However, even if the 69 Hz resonance should be minimum phase behavior using only EQ is a compromise compared to remove it with physical treatment. With acoustic treatment you don't loose any dynamics.

The important thing is to first move out from the peak as much as possible, then treat the pressure points with effective treatment. A large resonance at 69-70 Hz normally requires a minimum of 2-4 bass traps. Every small room though, really needs bass trapping in a wider frequency area for the very best result.
    I represent www.lydogakustikk.no
    (sound & acoustics)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! audioblazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ayreman View Post
    Yes, I do have space constraints. My room is small, but all corners are available and currently unoccupied. That's why I started by considering placing ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps in the available corners. Problem is they cost an arm and a leg. So, before shelling out, I better be damn sure I'm really buying the best there is.
    U can try to DIY basstrap with Ecophon or u may DIY SMT bass trap - this really works
    Source . AFO + Axiom, Fidelizer Nimitra + Vitus Masterpiece DAC , Studer A80, Tube Repro
    Amplification : Vitus Masterpiece Pre + Vitus Masterpiece Mono + Vitus Masterpiece Phono
    Cabling . Goebel Statement SC ,Transparent Reference XL AES/EBU digital , Goebel PC , Tara Labs Cobalts , Skogrand Markarian 421 XLR, Jorma Prime XLR , Goebel Statement XLR, Harmonix Takumi PC
    Catridges : Miyajima Madake , Miyajima Zero
    Speakers : Focal Stella EM
    Misc : JMF Conditioner, Telos GNR, Steinmusic

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! audioblazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    IMHO, the Real Traps Mondo Traps do a great job!
    I have 5 mondo & 4 mini realtraps in my room. Used to have 40-60 hz bass hump. After moving the realtraps ard eventually I ended up with 4 mini along the junctions of the ceiling / side walls & it seems to tame the bass issue. Maybe too much !!!
    Source . AFO + Axiom, Fidelizer Nimitra + Vitus Masterpiece DAC , Studer A80, Tube Repro
    Amplification : Vitus Masterpiece Pre + Vitus Masterpiece Mono + Vitus Masterpiece Phono
    Cabling . Goebel Statement SC ,Transparent Reference XL AES/EBU digital , Goebel PC , Tara Labs Cobalts , Skogrand Markarian 421 XLR, Jorma Prime XLR , Goebel Statement XLR, Harmonix Takumi PC
    Catridges : Miyajima Madake , Miyajima Zero
    Speakers : Focal Stella EM
    Misc : JMF Conditioner, Telos GNR, Steinmusic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123