Search for speakers

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
A bit of history. We have a large 7m x 8m x 2.5m kitchen / lounge room with an audio-visual set-up. The set-up has always been 2-channel although in recent years there have been a few small subwoofers squirreled away to help smooth bass response. We’ve had some Unity Horns with Bass Bins set-up in the room but the size coupled with complexity of operating an active system has meant that this is no longer tenable. The interim solution has been to using mini-DSP to stitch together a pair of Gallo Strada 2 from the office desktop and DIY dual isobaric woofers for bass. This set-up has better WAF and the wide dispersion creates a wide sweet-spot that works given that the system often sees the family watching or listening together. That said, it’s not a surprise that the speakers don’t have the dynamics, mid-bass or truthfulness on vocals of the horns + bass bins.

So here I am contemplating the options. One path is to tweak the current set-up and I’m sure that over time this would improve integration between the two speakers as well as room response but with a young family I just don’t have a lot of time and growing weary of the chase. This view has prompted a process of starting to audition speakers circa $5.0 to $12.5k but nothing has jumped out as the right combination of sound and aesthetic. A number of speakers have excelled at part of the spectrum but not been coherent across the entire range – PMC 25.6 (great bass), Harbeth SHL5 Plus (beautiful vocals) and Martin Logan XT60 (extended Highs). Meanwhile, the Sonus Faber Olympica 3 was less impressive on each individual element but a well sorted overall package although it lacked the dynamics of the horns.

All I’m after is a floor-stander that isn’t too imposing, or a sturdy stand-mount that won’t be easily knocked over, and will work well in a largely untreated room (so either even wide dispersion or constrained directivity) and deliver stupendous dynamics voiced naturally! Ideally, I’d like serviceable bass to ~35Hz but I’m starting to think that a trade-off might be to get a speaker that does an excellent job with the mid-/high and then deal with bass via integration of a swarm of subwoofers. That said, mid-bass is critical. Some ideas that I’ve had floating around are a pair of open baffle speakers such as Spatial Audio M3 or PAP Trio 15 (but size and position from wall might be an issue) or a speaker with monitor heritage such as ATC SCM40. Revel F208/BE seems like a well-designed option but local auditions aren’t possible and it’s on the edge of the size limit whilst other options suggested include the Ayon Black Arrow-S and Devore Orangutan O/96 but again neither is available for local audition. Any suggestions on approach or options would be greatly appreciated.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello,

Open Baffle ist a good Way you need 0.75m-1.5m to Rear Wall they are then fanastic.
When you search the Dynamic of a Horn you need Speakers like this.
The Speakers have a high energy Sound with 102dB/1 Watt you need a little Tube
amp with 3-10 Watt not more...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/bastanis2/1.html

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing