Boulder 1010 phono input

Jeff L

Mar 10, 2017
Kent UK
Hi, I'm new here so hope I don't break any rules.

I have a Boulder 1010 pre-amp + 860 power amp (not enough space or money for the 1060) and generally it all sounds terrific. I'm just a bit concerned about the phono input (using the MC setting) - at raised volume levels there is a degree of background noise, slight hum and a sort of uneven hiss. Can't be heard when music is playing but can when arm is lifted. The other 3 line-level inputs are totally silent.

I could give more info on volume settings, cables etc but wonder whether other 1010 users have the same experience? I know phono inputs are always that much more sensitive than line.

Grateful for any comments. Many thanks.

Jeff L

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I used to have the 1010. The noise level from the phono section used to drive me crazy. It was below the noise floor of the music but I thought it was defective and sent it back to Boulder for a check up. I was told it was operating within normal parameters. My solution was to buy an outboard phono stage. Its a great linestage but I suspect you will be happier going a similar route as I did.

Jeff L

Mar 10, 2017
Kent UK
Thanks very much for this comment. I too was wondering whether to get the unit checked but here in the UK that might be a problem. I'll try a separate phono stage as you suggest but this was exactly what I was hoping not to need! Should have checked the phono stage out more carefully before buying maybe. But thanks again.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Wow! I have the Boulder 1008 separate phono stage and it is now as silent as a grave. But when I first connected my Rega RP10 using the included RCA to XLR adapters it was very noisy. I called Boulder, described the problem and they sent me a different set of adapters that solved the problem. My SME 30 with an XLR cable was always totally silent through the 1008. I have a hard time believing the noise you describe is normal for any Boulder product. Boulder has great customer service, call them.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Wow! I have the Boulder 1008 separate phono stage and it is now as silent as a grave. But when I first connected my Rega RP10 using the included RCA to XLR adapters it was very noisy. I called Boulder, described the problem and they sent me a different set of adapters that solved the problem. My SME 30 with an XLR cable was always totally silent through the 1008. I have a hard time believing the noise you describe is normal for any Boulder product. Boulder has great customer service, call them.

Boulder customer service is outstanding. The noise level in the internal phono stage of the 1010 is normal. I've known Rich Maez since his days with Jeff Rowland. We had extensive conversations about this issue. Its a very good sounding but rather inflexible phono stage for what it is and the noise is below the music level so its never intrusive when you are listening. It does give you pause when you are not listening to an album and you can hear the noise from the listening position. The line stage of the 1010 is dead silent and generally stellar. I used it for many years and ultimately replaced it with the 2010 which I am still using along with the 2060 amp.

Jeff L

Mar 10, 2017
Kent UK
Thanks again for these comments. My plan is to check all the connections and the cable disposition behind the 1010 etc - bit of a rat's nest - and see if that makes a difference. I have a v good Graham Slee 2-box phono pre which I might reinstate as a test, but I was trying to reduce the overall number of boxes and cables, hence the 1010.

Thank you again.

Jeff L

Mar 10, 2017
Kent UK
Quick update - I have just finished disconnecting and reconnecting everything paying more attention to interconnect routing and the Boulder 1010 phono input is noticeably quieter now. Just a slight hiss, and only when vol turned up very high and no music signal. And of course the line inputs are totally silent so the difference is that much more marked. But thanks again for your comments.

cuprone1

Feb 10, 2013
Italy
Hi Ken,
sorry disturbing but, as you owned both 1010 and 2010 which are mainly differences? I mean they worth the extra ( large ) money? Thanks so much for reply.
Piero

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Hi Ken,
sorry disturbing but, as you owned both 1010 and 2010 which are mainly differences? I mean they worth the extra ( large ) money? Thanks so much for reply.
Piero

Piero:

I think both are wonderful preamps and frankly I could have been satisfied with the 1010 but I have a 2060 amp and I always wanted a 2010 to match. The 1010 is very fast and neutral. The 2010 simply gives you more - more of everything. I feel that the soundstage enlarged in depth and height. Perhaps (and maybe I'm exaggerating a bit) it is just ever so slightly warmer than neutral. As much as I enjoyed the 1010, having the 2010 in my system I couldn't see myself going back. On the other hand if I was on a budget I could easily consider the 1010. BTW, I believe the 1110 is out now.

I hope this helps in some way.

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing