Cartridge for Clearaudio TT2 arm?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
so, recently i bought the Clearaudio INNOVATION with TT2 linear arm
I'm basically looking for some serious Cart to go along with her.
i KNOW what youall say - "buy a GF and get done with it" but lets try to get pass this point ( a CA cart is on my list thou) AS for now i want to spend a little less then a brand new GF.

on my short list are:

Ortofon A95
ZYX premium 4d\omega
C.A da vinchi \ titanium

if someone have some input on the subject, experience etc, i love to here.
even adding sone additional carts for me to consider ?!

thanks alot.
A.

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
I had master reference and tt2 tonearm. The funny thing is, I listened GF in many setups even in my different setups, and i never liked it. (TT;Kondo, Af1, Af2, CA Master Reference, CA Statement etc..Tonearms; CA TT2 Statement Tonearm, SME Kondo Tonearms, Triplanar, Graham Elite, Kuzma 4 point etc..)It never sound good or right, maybe it has a different price tag, let say 3-5k range i may think differently.

As an ex tt2 owner, i suggest you to look other cartridges. I believe you choices is not best option to tt2. I recommend you to look for heavy cartridges, care about the complience values. The cartridges you names, i tried ortofon(anna) and zyx(omega). They performed well but i belive, neither the cartridges, nor the tt2 performed at their best.

I tried many cartridges, Benz LPs, Phasemation pp-1000, koetsu coralstone were the best ones. Coralstone has a very wild price tag, if i were you, i would look for the benz and the phasemation. If warm side is your choice benz.

Also if you think this is your last tonearm, i highly recommend you to change tonearm cable(nordost odin, ansuz diamond would be very good choice).

TT2 is a very good tonearm enjoy....

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I had master reference and tt2 tonearm. The funny thing is, I listened GF in many setups even in my different setups, and i never liked it. (TT;Kondo, Af1, Af2, CA Master Reference, CA Statement etc..Tonearms; CA TT2 Statement Tonearm, SME Kondo Tonearms, Triplanar, Graham Elite, Kuzma 4 point etc..)It never sound good or right, maybe it has a different price tag, let say 3-5k range i may think differently.

As an ex tt2 owner, i suggest you to look other cartridges. I believe you choices is not best option to tt2. I recommend you to look for heavy cartridges, care about the complience values. The cartridges you names, i tried ortofon(anna) and zyx(omega). They performed well but i belive, neither the cartridges, nor the tt2 performed at their best.

I tried many cartridges, Benz LPs, Phasemation pp-1000, koetsu coralstone were the best ones. Coralstone has a very wild price tag, if i were you, i would look for the benz and the phasemation. If warm side is your choice benz.

Also if you think this is your last tonearm, i highly recommend you to change tonearm cable(nordost odin, ansuz diamond would be very good choice).

Did you listen to the current Goldfinger Statement v2? It's quite special. A few of us own them here on WBF and love em.

Byrdparis, The Lyra's are also quite good and should be on any cartridge list...

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
My findings are not about gf v2. Did you listen v1 i ? What are the differences between the versions ?

Lyra's are quite special, i do have a titan ?, and it did not performed its best in tt2.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My findings are not about gf v2. Did you listen v1 i ? What are the differences between the versions ?

Lyra's are quite special, i do have a titan ?, and it did not performed its best in tt2.

Well that explains it. I've heard from multiple places the current Goldfinger is quite special compared to the previous versions...

Interesting on the Lyra and that arm. I've used Lyra's in SME, Tripanar, Schoeder and Sprial Groove Centroid arms...all to great sound. I have not heard the TT2, just a guess a Clearaudio is a good match there, exactly what byrdparis didn't want to hear :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Well that explains it. I've heard from multiple places the current Goldfinger is quite special compared to the previous versions...

Interesting on the Lyra and that arm. I've used Lyra's in SME, Tripanar, Schoeder and Sprial Groove Centroid arms...all to great sound. I have not heard the TT2, just a guess a Clearaudio is a good match there, exactly what byrdparis didn't want to hear :)

+1 on the Goldfinger Statement. there is confusion about a Goldfinger, and Goldfinger v2, and a Goldfinger Statement. I own the Statement (sometimes called the Statement v2) and it's a different animal than previous Goldfingers......which I never did own but also had not appealed to me before. and it does take some hours for the Statement to reach maturity.

here is a review that compares the Goldfinger v2 with the Statement for a little clarity.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/clearaudio-goldfinger-statement/

the Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement (v2) is the finest cartridge I have heard. and it's .6mv output allows it to have such an energy advantage over other cartridges without giving up any nuance or delicacy.

Goldfinger Statement-1.jpg

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel

Thank you for your reply, it is not taking lightly!
i was thinking about the Phasemation pp-1000, but i guess its not rattle my tail like the other stuff i mentioned. haven't got a good answer to that thou :).
why do you think the anna and the zyx was not performed with is fot the best result? i know that CA suggest to get carts over 7gr but how heavy i need to get to get ?
as i mentioned, the GF statement are "CALLING" hard, but i'm a bit afraid to pay so much for it to be honest. i will re consider it... but want to get other carts on the list for the moment i get chickened :\

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Phasemation pp-2000, Ikeda 9xx

Nooshinjohn

Mar 14, 2017
I have no problem recommending the Titanium V2. I currently use one on my TriangleArt Reference. I have it mated to an Origin Live Conqueror MkIII.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I have no problem recommending the Titanium V2. I currently use one on my TriangleArt Reference. I have it mated to an Origin Live Conqueror MkIII.

thank you for your comment.
i am for now waiting for a brand new Ortofon ANNA to mate with my new TT2 and the INNOVATION turntable as for the UNIVERSAL (the second arm i have on that TT) i will be pairing with my WONDERFUL! Myajima Takumi.
Hope the ANNA will do it high $$ price and the TT2 justice. i've got a feeling i will not be disappointed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing