Amplifier Recommendations /Suggestion to demo for YG Carmel 2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd
Yes I'm familiar with the SS 101 but it doesn't have enough inputs on its own and my preference would be to stay with an integrated and to maintain a minimum of three balanced inputs plus at least two single ended for the AV bypass and Entreq earth.
I'm not aware of an alternative that meets those needs and my apologies for not framing my question more fully, but if there are others you know of that would meet those needs I would appreciate your suggestions.

I would make the following suggestion if you are open-minded to testing the idea your speakers are capable of even more. Ask Kog to bring over a big Vitus...let you use your integrated as the preamp (presume it can do this?)...and then if you are floored by what you hear...then at least you know...and can really contemplate exploring options.

OTOH, if you dont find substantial uplift in performance, then its settled.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIM1wMMdp2o

;)

I would make the following suggestion if you are open-minded to testing the idea your speakers are capable of even more. Ask Kog to bring over a big Vitus...let you use your integrated as the preamp (presume it can do this?)...and then if you are floored by what you hear...then at least you know...and can really contemplate exploring options.

OTOH, if you dont find substantial uplift in performance, then its settled.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Love YG with Vitus.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Hi Barry!
The only one that comes to mind is the Dan D'Agostino Momentum integrated, but it is $45000 in the US, and given the weak UKP, will probably be quite dear over there...

Momentum integrated is better than all Vitus amps mentioned here and has many balanced inputs + AV bypass. No no RCAs, but a simple Neutrik XLR to RCA adapter will solve this. Yes, I know it is a bit over the budget, but sonic wise it is in another class altogether compared to Vitus SS-101 and SIA-025.

Here is 230V model for sale in the EU:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/s...nt-condition-220v-2017-02-09-integrateds-3101

The guy is a reputable seller (I have sold to / bought from him in the past). You can still negotiate the price.

Last edited:

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Hi Barry!

I'd say you should stick with what works, only more of it, so a more powerful Vitus perhaps... But this requirement for 3 XLRs is really tough, complicates things... The darTZeel CTH-8550 only has 1 XLR, and that would be my #1 option.
The only one that comes to mind is the Dan D'Agostino Momentum integrated, but it is $45000 in the US, and given the weak UKP, will probably be quite dear over there...
Dan is working on the Progression line. Currently only the monoblocks are out, but and a stereo, pre and integrated should be coming in soon, and those are roughly half the price of the Momentum series, so perhaps that one might do the trick. Dan's new stuff is actually warmer than the Krell of old, so it won't be completely outside of your current Vitus sound.
As for the Pass Labs, I don't recommend it at all.

cheers,
alex

Alex,

No love for the Pass gear? Surely they make very high quality and high end products. At respectable prices. Frankly can't say that for a 45K integrated? I have a lotta respect for that guy buy isn't that insane for just an integrated. It's a beautiful piece to look at that's for sure. But, maybe I'll then wire it all up with the 80K MIT ACC Tone Controls lol ..sorry just had to :)

Btw hasn't YG switched over from D'Agostino in their factory listening room to Audionet? Thought I remember reading that somewhere. They use a Kronos and DCS Scarletti as sources. Weird all up with Kubala Sosna cables.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alex,

No love for the Pass gear? Surely they make very high quality and high end products. At respectable prices. Frankly can't say that for a 45K integrated? I have a lotta respect for that guy buy isn't that insane for just an integrated. It's a beautiful piece to look at that's for sure. But, maybe I'll then wire it all up with the 80K MIT ACC Tone Controls lol ..sorry just had to :)

Btw hasn't YG switched over from D'Agostino in their factory listening room to Audionet? Thought I remember reading that somewhere. They use a Kronos and DCS Scarletti as sources. Weird all up with Kubala Sosna cables.

No further public comments on Pass and MIT :)
The D'Agostino is a fantastic amp. It is really two pieces in one, as that "stand" is not really one, but it's really an active part of the integrated. So you're really getting a preamp and an amp in one compact(-ish) design.
The price is indeed up there, that's why we have the darTZeel CTH-8550 handy, which costs $20k less, and people can take their pick. These two integrateds will beat separates from just about any other brand out there, so even though they're not cheap, they're actually good value for money, given what they represent and the performance they have.
YG has D'Agostino and D'Agostino has YG (and Wilson too). The arrangement was made right here in our store, after Dan heard what his stuff could do on the big YG Sonja 1.3 (and vice-versa).
The Audionets were brought to the factory for RMAF 16 by the US distributor of the brand, who's also the biggest YG dealer in the US, to the factory, to show the new Sonja XV. In Europe and elsewhere, you'll start seeing a lot of YG with Nagra. For digital, YG has dCS and MSB. And Kubala-Sosna cables.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Alex,

The March HiFi+ review of the Sonja XV which was undertaken at GTT Audio's listening room was with Audionet amps which I have never heard but will listen to them at Munich in May. It looks a nice range and worth exploring with no shortage of power in both their integrated and pre/power amps.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thank you Alex,Lloyd and Elberoth for your very helpful responses.
Fortunately I am very happy with my setup but I try to keep my upgrade options under review.
The Vitus guy tells me that the 025 won't function as a preamp so Lloyd adding a Vitus power amp is not an option unfortunately.Yes Alex finding an integrated with the balanced inputs at a similar price point is tough and a used Momentum as Elberoth has helpfully suggested is looking like the best option to keep the balanced function. I'm really grateful for your suggestions not least because your advice is always so good IME.
Mdp - apologies if my intervention has diverted attention from your OP but hopefully it has also been helpful to you too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you Alex,Lloyd and Elberoth for your very helpful responses.
Fortunately I am very happy with my setup but I try to keep my upgrade options under review.
The Vitus guy tells me that the 025 won't function as a preamp so Lloyd adding a Vitus power amp is not an option unfortunately.Yes Alex finding an integrated with the balanced inputs at a similar price point is tough and a used Momentum as Elberoth has helpfully suggested is looking like the best option to keep the balanced function. I'm really grateful for your suggestions not least because your advice is always so good IME.
Mdp - apologies if my intervention has diverted attention from your OP but hopefully it has also been helpful to you too.

Good hunting!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The March HiFi+ review of the Sonja XV which was undertaken at GTT Audio's listening room was with Audionet amps which I have never heard but will listen to them at Munich in May. It looks a nice range and worth exploring with no shortage of power in both their integrated and pre/power amps.

Yes, the Audionet stuff is very good, and priced fairly, given the performance. But it's not nearly as warm as your Vitus, for instance...
Their new series is looking great, but I haven't heard them yet. Hopefully in Munich!
The new integrated:

http://en.audionet.de/machines/watt/

But again, only 1 XLR... Tough...
That used D'Ag integrated has your name written all over it... :)

cheers,
alex

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Hello All,

I own a pair of YG Carmel 2s currently connected to a Pass INT-60. I enjoy the sound but, looking for something a little bit more in terms of resolution and speed. Spectral is at the top of my list but, are there any other pre+stereo amplifier combinations and or integrated amplifiers that anyone can suggest ? A built in phono stage or DAC isn't necessary on the integrated. I'd say my budget is at or around 20K USD MSRP. I'm curious about the Swiss brands but, I think they are all out of my budget. Perhaps the Constellation Inspiration series and I'm also considering the German brand Audionet. Finally, yes only solid state electronics for this selection.

Thanks
I ran YG Carmel series 1 for 2 years on Spectral 260 amp- 15ss preamp and Spectral MIT 350-770 cabling. Superb! The imaging, resolution, and bass these speakers put out with the Spectral combo was just amazing. There are some great prices on this gear now with the arrival of the 300 and 200 series 2 out. Good luck.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing