Amplifier Recommendations /Suggestion to demo for YG Carmel 2

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Hello All,

I own a pair of YG Carmel 2s currently connected to a Pass INT-60. I enjoy the sound but, looking for something a little bit more in terms of resolution and speed. Spectral is at the top of my list but, are there any other pre+stereo amplifier combinations and or integrated amplifiers that anyone can suggest ? A built in phono stage or DAC isn't necessary on the integrated. I'd say my budget is at or around 20K USD MSRP. I'm curious about the Swiss brands but, I think they are all out of my budget. Perhaps the Constellation Inspiration series and I'm also considering the German brand Audionet. Finally, yes only solid state electronics for this selection.

Thanks

Reactions: Jedclampet

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi MD
I had a pair of Carmel 1s for about 5 years before upgrading to YG Kipod Signature passives in order to get a bigger scale sound. The Carmels were lovely but the bigger and more expensive Kipods are better while maintaining all the virtues of the Carmels. The amp has stayed the same namely a Vitus SIA 025 .Don't be put off by the Class A 25 watts power output, It really is not a problem.
Resolution, dynamics and speed are beautifully integrated in a natural organic musical sound.
Can't recommend it highly enough. Really communicates the music to the listener far better than I have heard the Constellation at shows. I can't really comment on Spectral which I know are highly regarded but do try to hear the Vitus 025 SIA which is at your price point before deciding.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
mdp,

I just came back from a customer's house, where I installed a darTZeel LHC-208 integrated to his YG Carmel 2s. The combination was just magical, really powerful and full. The built-in DAC is exceptional as well. This is a $15k integrated amp with a killer DAC+streamer, so well within your budget :)

I've now heard this little integrated with several tough speakers, including all the YGs, Magico Q7s and M Pros, and it has worked great every single time!

cheers,
alex

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
mdp,

I just came back from a customer's house, where I installed a darTZeel LHC-208 integrated to his YG Carmel 2s. The combination was just magical, really powerful and full. The built-in DAC is exceptional as well. This is a $15k integrated amp with a killer DAC+streamer, so well within your budget :)

I've now heard this little integrated with several tough speakers, including all the YGs, Magico Q7s and M Pros, and it has worked great every single time!

cheers,
alex

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Alex, I wasn't aware of this dartzeel integrated. How would you compare the "house sound" of Dartzeel compared to Audionet? I noticed your a dealer for both brands.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hello All,

I own a pair of YG Carmel 2s currently connected to a Pass INT-60. I enjoy the sound but, looking for something a little bit more in terms of resolution and speed. Spectral is at the top of my list but, are there any other pre+stereo amplifier combinations and or integrated amplifiers that anyone can suggest ? A built in phono stage or DAC isn't necessary on the integrated. I'd say my budget is at or around 20K USD MSRP. I'm curious about the Swiss brands but, I think they are all out of my budget. Perhaps the Constellation Inspiration series and I'm also considering the German brand Audionet. Finally, yes only solid state electronics for this selection.

Thanks

I'd add a Nagra Classic amp to your list. It's Swiss and definite hits on resolution and speed and only 15,700 USD list. Big hit on musicality. You can also get this as a integrated amp...

I owned a Classic amp for over a year, it drove my Rockports great! Recently stepped up to a Nagra HD amp...

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Vitus SIA-025 would definately by on my short list, as the Dan Dagostino Momentum integrated (used only ~ $25k).

Both great amps on their own right, both on the warm side of neutral, which is a must with those speakers (I have a pair of Carmel 2s at home right now), with great resolution and certainly faster than Pass.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Alex, I wasn't aware of this dartzeel integrated. How would you compare the "house sound" of Dartzeel compared to Audionet? I noticed your a dealer for both brands.

It has the "house sound" down pat! It is basically the same circuit/topology as the bigger integrated, but it's not dual mono. It is a little less transparent than its bigger brother, but it more than makes up for being even more musical and smooth (though not dull!), perhaps by the nature of its DAC, an incredible unit in itself. Herve's design for the DAC is fairly unique, and it's probably one of the most organic and natural sounding DACs out there.

These are incredibly fast and extended amps, without being etched, bloated or fatiguing!

The Audionet sound is a polar opposite of this, and I'd say it'd be closer to the Pass than anything else we carry. It's high on negative feedback, so it's extremely detailed and precise, and the bass is very tight. Audionet is coming out with a new line, including a new integrated, and I hope to have a listen soon!

I also concur with jfrench's suggestion below. The new Nagra amps are, like the darTZeels, true swiss jewels. They perform way beyond what their wattage specs imply, and are very extended, natural, with an intoxicating midrange that's to die for! I was very impressed with what I heard at one of their rooms at CES this year, with YG Hailey and a full Nagra Classic setup!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Vitus SIA-025 would definately by on my short list, as the Dan Dagostino Momentum integrated (used only ~ $25k).

Both great amps on their own right, both on the warm side of neutral, which is a must with those speakers (I have a pair of Carmel 2s at home right now), with great resolution and certainly faster than Pass.

25 watts Class A makes no sense on these speakers (and yes, I've had them in house).

Dagostino at *only* 25k used is pretty funny.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
What do you think is a good amount of power? I feel my int-60 which is 120 into 4 ohms is pretty good. But I'm sure they can be more dynamic with a different amplifier.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
25 watts Class A makes no sense on these speakers (and yes, I've had them in house).

Dagostino at *only* 25k used is pretty funny.

I have a 21x12x7.5 ft lounge in a brick built detached house with cavity wall insulation and a concrete floor.
The Vitus was not a problem with the Carmel 1s and is not with he Kipod Signature passives.
Are you positing a larger and more leaky room which I appreciate is more common in the USA than in Europe?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Are you able to find a Gryphon Diablo? 300 watts per channel. Excellent reviews. Retail in USD would be [guessing] $25K...and that includes built-in DAC and Phono Stage perhaps?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have a 21x12x7.5 ft lounge in a brick built detached house with cavity wall insulation and a concrete floor.
The Vitus was not a problem with the Carmel 1s and is not with he Kipod Signature passives.
Are you positing a larger and more leaky room which I appreciate is more common in the USA than in Europe?

I'm not positing anything. Just that if anything you are going to Class A/B on this amp much more than one thinks with this speaker. The entire point of this amp is to run it in Class A on tame impedance speakers. YGs are fairly demanding with an 84db load, although their diminutive size helps. I'm not saying it can't work, but it isn't optimal.

I've also heard the SIA-025 on Rockport Atrias at Newport and wanted more power in a smaller than medium sized room. YMMV and all that. Quite a lovely amp I must say tonality-wise.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
He sould also be able to find an used Vitus SS-101 just under $20k, which is twice as powerful in Class A and 4x in Class A/B mode (100W), if he needs more power.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
While I do agree the Vitus is a wonderful, smooth amp, I also think Barry hasn't heard all that his speakers can do...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The best I have heard YG speakers was when they were powered by Pass Labs gear.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

Thanks Lloyd
Yes I'm familiar with the SS 101 but it doesn't have enough inputs on its own and my preference would be to stay with an integrated and to maintain a minimum of three balanced inputs plus at least two single ended for the AV bypass and Entreq earth.
I'm not aware of an alternative that meets those needs and my apologies for not framing my question more fully, but if there are others you know of that would meet those needs I would appreciate your suggestions.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Barry!

I'd say you should stick with what works, only more of it, so a more powerful Vitus perhaps... But this requirement for 3 XLRs is really tough, complicates things... The darTZeel CTH-8550 only has 1 XLR, and that would be my #1 option.
The only one that comes to mind is the Dan D'Agostino Momentum integrated, but it is $45000 in the US, and given the weak UKP, will probably be quite dear over there...
Dan is working on the Progression line. Currently only the monoblocks are out, but and a stereo, pre and integrated should be coming in soon, and those are roughly half the price of the Momentum series, so perhaps that one might do the trick. Dan's new stuff is actually warmer than the Krell of old, so it won't be completely outside of your current Vitus sound.
As for the Pass Labs, I don't recommend it at all.

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing