Lifting ground on Spectral amp

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So, even if I plug both the Shunyata D6000 and the DPC-6 into the same 20amp circuit, via the two receptacles connected to that circuit, I'll still get the ground loop I've experienced?

I don't think that will be a problem, or if it is, it will be very subtle; but regardless, my suggestion is to start simple with one distributor on one circuit, plug in amps and preamp, test, then farm out. You have to first prove that you have no loop with proper star grounding. I think the problems will appear the moment you introduce the second line, and when you start moving components on it. Proper grounding has to be taken seriously.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
So, even if I plug both the Shunyata D6000 and the DPC-6 into the same 20amp circuit, via the two receptacles connected to that circuit, I'll still get the ground loop I've experienced?

If that's the case I could plug the DPC-6 into the D6000 so that I've one single plug into one circuit.

By the way, I have been using a Synergistic Research Grounding Block which incorporates star ground for their product set along with other elements of my system. These include the DAC and preamp via spare inputs. I'll disengage this for testing.

All DENALI power conditioners have one or more ground lugs on the back on the unit. These are designed specifically to create a common ground connection between the conditioners. They can also be used to connect the chassis grounds of the components in the system.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
All DENALI power conditioners have one or more ground lugs on the back on the unit. These are designed specifically to create a common ground connection between the conditioners. They can also be used to connect the chassis grounds of the components in the system.

Well I brought in the D6000/T from my local dealer for a test drive at home. Within a few minutes I knew it was a worthy addition to my system. Just received mine along with the Sigma HC power cable. Given that I've got a setup that includes the Denali and DPC-6 for my digital devices, as well as a star grounding block from Ted Denny's Synergistic Research, all on separate circuits, I figured that any ground issues might be mitigated by reducing this number.

I've needed to lift ground on my two mono blocks from Spectral to keep the hum away using a couple of Ted's cheaters. After a quick email to Steven Plaskin on whether his experience with the grounding blocks included wiring this into his Triton. Seems he did so awhile back via some sort of Shunyata cable, and he's liked the result. I gave it a go last night, initially using one of Ted's base wires. Results were a bit less hum. So, I took the plunge and decoupled the high resolution wire I have been using to connect the grounding block into the wall and wrapped the end around the grounding post on the Denali. Result: absolutely no hum with my ear within a few centimeters of the midrange driver.

Now once I feel the HC power cord and Denali are fully broken in, I'll try plugging the DPC-6 into the Denali and remove the cheaters to see if I have any ground loop hum from the system. I'd expect not, but who knows.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So, I took the plunge and decoupled the high resolution wire I have been using to connect the grounding block into the wall and wrapped the end around the grounding post on the Denali. Result: absolutely no hum with my ear within a few centimeters of the midrange driver.

Now once I feel the HC power cord and Denali are fully broken in, I'll try plugging the DPC-6 into the Denali and remove the cheaters to see if I have any ground loop hum from the system. I'd expect not, but who knows.

You just tied the grounds, good.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
There is leakage current to the chassis inside your electronics which causes ground currents/hum with no contributions at all from your electrical wiring. The solution to this is to use balanced interconnects. I see that your power amps have this. Are you able to connect them this way?

Amir's recommendation is the wisest of the lot (of some pretty screwball suggestions). I had a low level hum with my Spectral 400 amps and went with a balanced interconnect which solved the problem entirely.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Amir's recommendation is the wisest of the lot (of some pretty screwball suggestions). I had a low level hum with my Spectral 400 amps and went with a balanced interconnect which solved the problem entirely.

I'll consider doing so once Spectral releases their long delayed Reference interconnects and speaker cables.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012

Are you suggesting that I ground the DPC-6 to one of the two ground posts on the Denali, rather than plug the DPC-6 into the Denali? If so, how would I do so?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Are you suggesting that I ground the DPC-6 to one of the two ground posts on the Denali, rather than plug the DPC-6 into the Denali? If so, how would I do so?

As long as you use a power cord that does not have the ground wire disconnected, it is already connected to the Denali ground system internally through the ground wire in the power cord that connects the DPC-6 to the D6000.

The Denali 6000/T has two CGS grounding terminals. Many people have mono-block amplifiers that are located in a different part of the room and are often connected to a different dedicated line than the one powering the D6000. The DENALI D2000/T was designed specifically for mono-blocks and it has a grounding terminal on the back of the unit. It is there to allow you to interconnect the various grounds together. Simply run a CGS grounding wire from the D6000 CGS terminal to each of the D2000 ground terminals. This eliminates or significantly reduces ground voltage differentials between multiple power lines. This concept can also be used to connect the amplifier's chassis to the D6000 if you are not using a D2000.

BTW, NEVER disable the ground connection from the Denali to the wall outlet!

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
As long as you use a power cord that does not have the ground wire disconnected, it is already connected to the Denali ground system internally through the ground wire in the power cord that connects the DPC-6 to the D6000.

The Denali 6000/T has two CGS grounding terminals. Many people have mono-block amplifiers that are located in a different part of the room and are often connected to a different dedicated line than the one powering the D6000. The DENALI D2000/T was designed specifically for mono-blocks and it has a grounding terminal on the back of the unit. It is there to allow you to interconnect the various grounds together. Simply run a CGS grounding wire from the D6000 CGS terminal to each of the D2000 ground terminals. This eliminates or significantly reduces ground voltage differentials between multiple power lines. This concept can also be used to connect the amplifier's chassis to the D6000 if you are not using a D2000.

BTW, NEVER disable the ground connection from the Denali to the wall outlet!

I currently have both the Denali 6000/T and DPC-6 connected via Shunyata HC power cables to two receptacles which are wired to a single 20 amp dedicated line. The Spectral 400 amps are individually connected to the 2 HC receptacles on the Denali. Each is being floated via Synergistic Research cheater plugs, as I've experienced hum if I don't use these.

I'd certainly like to know if I should connect the DPC-6 into an available Denali receptacle. Any benefit or not in doing so.

And should I remove the cheaters to verify that my system no longer displays any ground loop hum or not. I know that adding anything between a receptacle and cable is likely to impede or otherwise adversely affect the free flow of electricity or have other effects.

Just trying to get the best performance from my system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing