Lifting ground on Spectral amp

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was using the cheater plug. As I said, I've been doing this for years, as a matter of course. I don't care to A/B this stuff. I just hated the loose fit of the cheater plug and the cheap metals involved.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
it's imperative to understand that lifting grounds can have really serious consequences. So one must understand exactly what they are doing and why. having 150a-200a run through an interconnect in case of a fault can lead to damage and fire.
or death!

I have been the least path of resistance to ground before and I am fortunately here to tell you it does not feel good.

This can have deadly consequences, dying in the name of better sound is not in the cards for me,except for the occasional subwoofer in a big wooden box.
Definitely not steel boxes in steel racks.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I know that in my environment I must lift the grounds for my mono blocks. I've yet to pin down just where in my wiring the feedback loop is occurring. I'm not confident enough that I have a clear methodology to uncover the source. I'm happy to entertain any ideas anyone might have in pursuing this.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What sort of "feedback"? Ground loop? How's everything connected electrically when that happens?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
or death!

I have been the least path of resistance to ground before and I am fortunately here to tell you it does not feel good.

This can have deadly consequences, dying in the name of better sound is not in the cards for me,except for the occasional subwoofer in a big wooden box.
Definitely not steel boxes in steel racks.

You are correct we should not play with safety. However there are proper ways of interrupting or minimizing the currents due to ground loops at audio frequencies, keeping the safety. But IMHO they should not be carried by amateurs. Since long I have used a custom power strip fitted with special diodes and capacitors to separately float the ground of each plug keeping safety, but just for test purposes. :eek:

For increased electrical safety we must have differential breakers of 30 mA type. Than you can feel safer when trying these non recommended practices.

Many people are horrified with audiophile practices and do not even test regularly their differential breakers or know the details about their safety ground system. There are more electrical risks in their kitchens or bathrooms than in audiophile systems ...

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
What sort of "feedback"? Ground loop? How's everything connected electrically when that happens?

As far as I can tell it is a ground loop. What I have today is the following electrically:

4 separate circuits:

1) 20 amp with a Spectral 400 mono block and Spectral preamp
2) 20 amp with a Spectral 400 mono block and Berkeley Ref. 2 DAC
3) 15 amp with Shunyata DPC-6 (all digital gear plugged in here, including Mac Mini, WD hard drive, Eero WiFi access point, Synergistic Research Transporter, Sonore Signature LPS, Berkeley Alpha USB)
4) 15 amp with Synergistic grounding block and Synergistic FEQ

I've tested out isolating the preamp (no connections at all to inputs) while keeping interconnects to the mono blocks in play. Whether the preamp is powered on or not the amps exhibit a low level hum when the mono blocks are not floated. I've also tried floating the preamp while not doing so for the amps and still get hum. There are slight variations in the degree of hum if I reorient things. By putting both amps in a single 20 amp circuit and the preamp in the other. And using this same setup adding a cheater to the preamp lowered hum a tad more. I'm beginning to believe that I'm getting a loop from somewhere in the overall building wiring that will be rather hard to troubleshoot. But I may be quite wrong.

I know that the amps are very sensitive. Even placing the preamp within a foot of the amps degrades sound appreciably.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
You could try floating everything but the preamp. That was my experiment. Perhaps both mono's ground lifted to one duplex. Then the Dpc-6 grounded to the wall with your source ground lifted and the preamp grounded.

The only ground would be through the preamp. You can then add grounding to a single piece in addition to the preamp and judge each piece as the grounds are returned.

Obviously you are the boss so don't do this if your unsure in any aspect of the exercise.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
My objective is to ground as much as possible while avoiding ground loops. I've already demonstrated that simply focusing on just the preamp and amps (without connecting anything else to the system) I get a ground loop unless I float the amps. Doing what you suggest just muddies the water without getting to the source of the problem. The only thing I've yet to try would be to, say ground one amp while floating the preamp and other amp. And doing so would still get me no closer to understanding the source of the loop.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Only way for me to get rid of nasty hum with spectral amps was lifting ground using cheater plugs. Only had this issue with Spectral. If this is such a pervasive issue, not sure why they can't address it. Does not do the brand any good.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If you have ground loops, the equipment will reveal it; Pass and others are the same way. So best to fix the ground loops. Steve, in this case, may be falling into the "dedicated" line trap, with different length power lines and primarily ground wires. Dedicated lines must have the exact same length wires (including ground) from the distribution box, of the exact same gauge and metal purity - read: entirely, 100% identical, or there will be ground impedance issues; consequently, the power cords must also be identical (including in length), as well as any conditioners, etc. If necessary, just "tie" the grounds between the power lines. If using sub-panels, are the the ground and neutral bonded together... etc. There are electronic tools at places like Home Depot to solve all these problems.

See also http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19492-Shunyata-DENALI&p=414903&viewfull=1#post414903

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
As far as I can tell it is a ground loop. What I have today is the following electrically:

4 separate circuits:

1) 20 amp with a Spectral 400 mono block and Spectral preamp
2) 20 amp with a Spectral 400 mono block and Berkeley Ref. 2 DAC
3) 15 amp with Shunyata DPC-6 (all digital gear plugged in here, including Mac Mini, WD hard drive, Eero WiFi access point, Synergistic Research Transporter, Sonore Signature LPS, Berkeley Alpha USB)
4) 15 amp with Synergistic grounding block and Synergistic FEQ

I've tested out isolating the preamp (no connections at all to inputs) while keeping interconnects to the mono blocks in play. Whether the preamp is powered on or not the amps exhibit a low level hum when the mono blocks are not floated. I've also tried floating the preamp while not doing so for the amps and still get hum. There are slight variations in the degree of hum if I reorient things. By putting both amps in a single 20 amp circuit and the preamp in the other. And using this same setup adding a cheater to the preamp lowered hum a tad more. I'm beginning to believe that I'm getting a loop from somewhere in the overall building wiring that will be rather hard to troubleshoot. But I may be quite wrong.

I know that the amps are very sensitive. Even placing the preamp within a foot of the amps degrades sound appreciably.

My guess it could be 3), try moving that if you can to another spot...a foot away. Or if that fails try 4). Whenever you have multiple PC's plugged into a single source,that could do it. I had the same thing drove me crazy. It just takes persistence,good luck.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
If you have ground loops, the equipment will reveal it; Pass and others are the same way. So best to fix the ground loops. Steve, in this case, may be falling into the "dedicated" line trap, with different length power lines and primarily ground wires. Dedicated lines must have the exact same length wires (including ground) from the distribution box, of the exact same gauge and metal purity - read: entirely, 100% identical, or there will be ground impedance issues; consequently, the power cords must also be identical (including in length), as well as any conditioners, etc. If necessary, just "tie" the grounds between the power lines. If using sub-panels, are the the ground and neutral bonded together... etc. There are electronic tools at places like Home Depot to solve all these problems.

See also http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19492-Shunyata-DENALI&p=414903&viewfull=1#post414903

This and making sure all the outlets used in the sytem are on the same phase in the panel and making sure all the outlets are phased correct.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Thanks for your feedback. I know the two circuits intimately. I watched the electrician run the same gauge cable of equal lengths from the breaker to the 4 outlet receptacle. And the three Zcords from MIT are all the same length. As I've noted, I can induce the hum with only the three Spectral devices connected into the two 20 amp circuits - and even with the preamp powered off. I'm not aware of how breakers operate. If the circuits are separated and the only common connection is from the breaker to ground, then it's well beyond what I can ascertain.

I plan on bringing in a Shunyata D6000/T next week for testing. My plan is to plug this into one of the two 20 amp circuits via a single Sigma HC power cord. The two amps will get connected into the 2 HC outlets of the D6000 and the remaining 4 outlets will serve the preamp, DAC, USB to S/PDIF converter, and Sonore LPC. That should begin to tell me more, I hope.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It seems to me the easiest test is to "tie" the grounds - run a ground wire from one outlet of one circuit to an outlet on the other circuit - I suspect this will get rid of the hum

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
It seems to me the easiest test is to "tie" the grounds - run a ground wire from one outlet of one circuit to an outlet on the other circuit - I suspect this will get rid of the hum

If what you're suggesting is true, and I use only one of the circuits for the Shunyata D6000/T next week, and avoid the other altogether, will I still potentially still have a ground loop? At present the only other thing to test to confirm what you're suggesting is to use a single circuit for the amps and plug the preamp into another receptacle on yet another circuit. Am I right about that?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
No, not exactly. Everything must be plugged into the same circuit, as a starter, using a power distributor - that gives you star-grounding. Then, you can move the amps into a separate circuit, and I am almost certain the hum will return, to one degree or another. All of these will simply confirm you have ground potential, and the dedicated lines are not identical. What you are doing right now by lifting the ground on the amps is to star-ground at the preamp's inputs through the interconnects; that's fine, I do that too, but I do it for sonic reasons, even though I plug everything into one distributor (which kills hum to start with); this configuration just stands the chance to offer ever so slightly better sonics; but your primary goal here is to kill hum, then worry about ultimate sonics.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Thanks for your feedback. I know the two circuits intimately. I watched the electrician run the same gauge cable of equal lengths from the breaker to the 4 outlet receptacle. And the three Zcords from MIT are all the same length. As I've noted, I can induce the hum with only the three Spectral devices connected into the two 20 amp circuits - and even with the preamp powered off. I'm not aware of how breakers operate. If the circuits are separated and the only common connection is from the breaker to ground, then it's well beyond what I can ascertain.

I plan on bringing in a Shunyata D6000/T next week for testing. My plan is to plug this into one of the two 20 amp circuits via a single Sigma HC power cord. The two amps will get connected into the 2 HC outlets of the D6000 and the remaining 4 outlets will serve the preamp, DAC, USB to S/PDIF converter, and Sonore LPC. That should begin to tell me more, I hope.

Use an ohmeter and test the IC's that run between preamp and amp. There's a good chance one has a bad ground. It can show up in both channels.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is leakage current to the chassis inside your electronics which causes ground currents/hum with no contributions at all from your electrical wiring. The solution to this is to use balanced interconnects. I see that your power amps have this. Are you able to connect them this way?

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
No, not exactly. Everything must be plugged into the same circuit, as a starter, using a power distributor - that gives you star-grounding. Then, you can move the amps into a separate circuit, and I am almost certain the hum will return, to one degree or another. All of these will simply confirm you have ground potential, and the dedicated lines are not identical. What you are doing right now by lifting the ground on the amps is to star-ground at the preamp's inputs through the interconnects; that's fine, I do that too, but I do it for sonic reasons, even though I plug everything into one distributor (which kills hum to start with); this configuration just stands the chance to offer ever so slightly better sonics; but your primary goal here is to kill hum, then worry about ultimate sonics.

So, even if I plug both the Shunyata D6000 and the DPC-6 into the same 20amp circuit, via the two receptacles connected to that circuit, I'll still get the ground loop I've experienced?

If that's the case I could plug the DPC-6 into the D6000 so that I've one single plug into one circuit.

By the way, I have been using a Synergistic Research Grounding Block which incorporates star ground for their product set along with other elements of my system. These include the DAC and preamp via spare inputs. I'll disengage this for testing.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There is leakage current to the chassis inside your electronics which causes ground currents/hum with no contributions at all from your electrical wiring. The solution to this is to use balanced interconnects. I see that your power amps have this. Are you able to connect them this way?

Unnecessary if everything is working correctly. That's why I'm suggesting to check continuity on each IC. A reversed hot/ground in an IC can cause this as well. The only place to suspect SE are going to cause a hum problem is phono that's unshielded, if nothing is broken/miswired or a **** poor design.

Better questions besides just checking this... Has the equipment always had the issue? If not, what changed when you heard it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing