Roon file search

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Any Roon users out there?

Have been playing around with the software for the past few days to test. Is there a way to search/find tracks that are not in an album?

I have a number of unnamed tracks or ones that would not be able to get metadata for in order to use Roon's search function.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
By 'unnamed' you mean without proper metadata, likely WAV or DFF files (hate those)?
Normally, the file itself has a name, like "01 Song title.wav", so if you search for "Song title", that file will come up in the Roon search.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
By 'unnamed' you mean without proper metadata, likely WAV or DFF files (hate those)?
Normally, the file itself has a name, like "01 Song title.wav", so if you search for "Song title", that file will come up in the Roon search.

Thank for the tip. Doing a trial run and it has been somewhat challenging to find files compared to Jriver or Foobar.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yeah Roon is a challenge if you're used to a more traditional folder-based browsing/organizing. Specially since a lot of folks with Windows PCs end up ripping their collection to WAV, which does not support metadata (only with a kludge in JRiver and other apps), so Roon has a hard time deciphering those files. Still, it IS able to properly recognize them as a proper album, if you have all the files ripped right, and in the same folder...

I believe I also read something about Roon implementing some form of folder-based browsing... I see in the "Focus" tab you can now filter by file location, so perhaps that will help as well... (It's in Focus > Inspector > Storage Locations)

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Yeah Roon is a challenge if you're used to a more traditional folder-based browsing/organizing. Specially since a lot of folks with Windows PCs end up ripping their collection to WAV, which does not support metadata (only with a kludge in JRiver and other apps), so Roon has a hard time deciphering those files. Still, it IS able to properly recognize them as a proper album, if you have all the files ripped right, and in the same folder...

I believe I also read something about Roon implementing some form of folder-based browsing... I see in the "Focus" tab you can now filter by file location, so perhaps that will help as well... (It's in Focus > Inspector > Storage Locations)

Ohhh yes that does help out quite a bit thank you so much.

Yes I had many plans to play with Roon for some time, but I see a squirrel and then I forget. So finally got around to seeing what they hype is about and I have to say it is very cool so far (minus the lack of a folder tree option)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing